I Think These Super Sentai Seasons Managed To Improve Previously Done Concepts

Super Sentai has the habit of either having new themes, hybridizing themes or improving what has been started. I thought of a couple of Super Sentai series that managed to improve previously done concepts. I'll write them by chronological order from oldest to newest. Just remember that learning from failure is necessary in sustaining a business.


Hikari Sentai Maskman

Dynaman started with the whole underground race introduced into Super Sentai. Maskman's Tube managed to do more than what Jashinka did. More depth was added into the relationship between Tube and the surface world.


Chojin Sentai Jetman

Jetman managed to improve Maskman's love story IMO. While I'm a fan of Maskman but I feel the whole Takeru/Ial love story isn't all that intense. Sure, it was a nice touch but Jetman managed to improve what Maskman started. Ryu is stuck in a complicated love polygon that he misses Rie deeply while Kaori likes him but Gai likes Kaori. Jetman's love story between Ryu and Rie was one of the best. My only complaint is how often Toshiki Inoue loved giving foreshadows that Ryu and Kaori will be together when the two don't have much of a chemistry. But we can't deny Jetman saved Super Sentai from near cancellation, can we?


Gosei Sentai Dairanger

Maskman may be mixed martial arts and Dairanger is kung fu. I don't deny that Dairanger took martial arts to a whole new level. Not only did Dairanger take Maskman's martial arts and made it even more legendary but it also took the whole concept of Chi power to a whole new level. The show has a lot of amazing choreography. The only downside is that parents complained about it being too violent.


Gekisou Sentai Carranger

Carranger didn't do much to improve ratings after Ohranger's lower ratings. Both Carranger and Ohranger relied more on toy sales to keep the franchise afloat. I think Carranger is a huge improvement from what Turboranger is as an automobile Super Sentai. They introduced bigger and better engine-based mecha combined with magical powers. Maybe some think Turboranger is better but I think Carranger is better. I don't care about the not so high improvement of ratings. I still like this series for its lighthearted nature.


Denji Sentai Megaranger

The one true Mega series still keeps it on. It may be so 20 years ago but I don't deny how this series can still kick Megafailed's sorry butt away even in this digital age. Turboranger started teenagers with attitude and it didn't immediately click. Megaranger continued it and improved what Turboranger started in that department. The characters aren't as strong in the start and the struggle is made more real than what Turboranger wanted the viewers to believe. While I don't think Megaranger's science theme was an intense was that Bioman, Flashman and Liveman offered but it's still a huge tribute nonetheless.


Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive

I don't have any intention to write five reasons why I'd choose it over Lightspeed Rescue because I can only come up with "duh it's Super Sentai" or "duh it's a little more serious". Instead, I ended up writing five reasons why I prefer GoGoFive over Fiveman. Fiveman was the start of the sibling Super Sentai concept but GoGoFive made it better. Fiveman had potential but Hirohisa Soda was already burned out beyond belief that time. Fortunately, GoGoFive fixed the problem. My only problem is how Matoi Tatsumi tends to be too tense over Gaku Hoshikawa.


Ninpou Sentai Hurricanger

Hurricanger feels like a hybrid of Liveman and Kakuranger. I would say that it's my favorite ninja Super Sentai from the ninja trilogy. It managed to improve Liveman's mecha and what it means to have fun with ninjas. Kakuranger was pretty much fun in its own way but I prefer Hurricanger. Kakuranger may have better action scenes but I think Hurricanger is more fun as a ninja series. On the other hand, I might prepare a post to five reasons why I prefer Liveman to Hurricanger or better five reasons why I prefer Hurricanger to Kakuranger.


Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger

I think Abaranger is the best dinosaur-based Super Sentai series. Sure the action scenes in Zyuranger and Kyoryuger are better but I prefer Abaranger as far as I'm concerned. Zyuranger started the dinosaur series but doesn't get too focused on dinosaurs. Abaranger managed to focus more on what a dinosaur Super Sentai should be. It managed to move around with how newer dinosaurs got introduced into the series. Maybe I could provide five good reasons why I prefer Abaranger to Kyoryuger after I showed five reasons why I prefer Abaranger to Dino Thunder.


Tokosu Sentai Dekaranger

Dekaranger itself isn't your typical Super Sentai. I think it actually improved Timeranger's police concept. The Timerangers were tasked to capturing alien criminals under Don Dolnero's mafia. In Dekaranger, their job is to arrest or even delete alien criminals called Alienizers. The show's unique formula of using an overarching villain than a main villain in Abrella is also a nice deviation. The show feels more like a cop show than Timeranger itself.


Gougou Sentai Boukenger

I may not like Boukenger as much as I used to thanks to some series before it and after it that beat it. Even if I wouldn't say it's all that great but I think the series improved on the whole idea of villains competing for the top spot. The rivalry of different factions is something I'd like to see happen in any future Super Sentai seasons.


Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger

I think Gekiranger's action scenes aren't as good as Dairanger but I think this show knows how to handle the martial arts tribute better. The series features a lot of new training arcs and the Fist Saints are tributes to selected Chinese martial artists. Having both schools of thought namely Gen Juken and Rin Juken fight each other improves the whole Dai vs. Gorma conflict in Dairanger. Gekiranger may not be that serious but I believe it's a better tribute to Chinese martial arts. Dairanger gave a good tribute and Gekiranger improved it. As of right now, I don't think I can decide whether or not I like Dairanger or Gekiranger more.


Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

I still can't forget how this series managed to do what was nearly impossible. It has a lot of cameos from previous 34 seasons. I don't consider it the best Super Sentai ever but I still think that the series is good for nostalgic reasons. It actually did more than what Kamen Rider Decade offered to the audiences last 2009. I think making another massive crossover isn't all that easy. This anniversary season got it right.


Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger

I don't find myself a huge fan of this series but I think I do like it to a certain extent. My only beef is that dinosaurs are already getting overused for Super Sentai. I think we should have a dinosaur-themed Kamen Rider for a change. But if I could talk about anything this show improved isn't the dinosaur theme but it's how it's a better dance party than Battle Fever J. It definitely improved what a dancing Super Sentai season should be. One could take a look at how they incorporated dancing into henshin which the very old Battle Fever J didn't bother to do. Hmmm... why did it take so long to improve the dance party that Battle Fever J started?


Ressha Sentai ToQGer

I still don't find myself so fond of the series. I consider this the lowest point in Yasuko Kobayashi's career as a writer due to her burnout. She was really that burnt out. But if I can say ToQGer improved on anything it's the IMAGINATION power. Akibaranger has the delusion power but I think ToQGer managed to improve on it. The ToQGers use their imagination powers more extensively than the Akibarangers ever did with how they use it to defeat Shadow Line. With that in mind I think executives made the wrong decision by not giving this project to Naruhisa Arakawa or anyone who was involved with Akibaranger.


Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger

I think Kyuranger is now improving on the space theme concept. We've had some space-themed Tokusatsu before which also includes the Space Sheriffs and Juspion. Flashman started a space themed Super Sentai but most of the battles took place on Earth. Changeman was military-based but it went more and more into the space theme. I wonder can we say that Kyuranger will be the true Ginga series? Juspion started with planetary travel for the first few episodse but landed on Earth for most of the run. Next week's Kyuranger will take place outside Earth and I wonder if we'll see more planets by then?

Comments

  1. They are not complete improvements to the past theme but different. Dairanger is a step up to Maskman no doubt but they are still different while Gekiranger is different still but is in the same catagory as the 87 and 93 series.

    Two weeks too late, Shishi Ranger Daigo, Tetsuya Nomi. May he Rest In Peace as we will all miss him. It is real heart wrenching and disappointing that he took his own life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment