Random Thoughts on Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger Episodes 2-3

As said, I'll drop by random thoughts WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT. I decided not to devote myself to episode reviews. I can say that I find myself wanting to watch more Japanese stuff after an overdose of Korean stuff. I'll give my random thoughts on the two episodes and how I felt good in one and awkward in another. Credits to Dryed Mangoez for the images 


Episode 2 introduces us to N'Kosopa (an anagram of Pasokon meaning PC)

The first episode does leave a weird taste of sorts. I guess the crew behind Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger decided to throw whatever they could, AM I RIGHT? We have King Racules Hastie who's practically Captain Ryuuya - a selfish douchebag with his own agenda. Except that Racules Hastie is far more obviously evil from his name to his attire, and his mannerisms. Was the guest role of Kohei Murakami in Avatar Sentai Donbrothers pretty much a foreshadowing? Though, this episode started to break my expectations and was a pretty pleasant surprise.

N'Kosopa is led by Yanma Gust. Originally, I expected Yanma to be pretty much like the techno-geek blue rangers such as Billy Cranston from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Nagare Tatsumi from GoGoFive, or Renn Koyama from Go-onger. Instead, the whole city of N'Kosopa seems to be one huge weird kingdom. Yanma is the president of this new city. Is N'Kosopa supposed to parody the USA? Yanma is pretty much a cool guy that would probably not sit well with Billy, Nagare, and Renn if ever they met him. I guess it's a good thing that Yanma broke my expectations by not being a techno-geek. 

The episode does reveal the cruelty of King Ryuuyacules Hastie (yeah, get used to it) and his being too obviously evil. I guess Yanma easily decoded that a name like Racules Hastie is a pun on RECKLESS hate Now, back to calling the king Racules, Ryuuyacules. Ryuuyacules does reveal that he's nothing more than a self-serving a**hole extraordinaire. Ryuuyacules gets revealed to some people (and the viewers) that he's everything the other kings aren't. 

It's good to see the citizens of N'Kosopa actually and eventually rebel. I guess the true nature of Ryuuyacules has been slowly exposed. I wonder how it'll be pulled if, if ever, that Ryuuyacules would be the true main antagonist instead of Bugnarok? I have a feeling Ryuuyacules may have a hand in the Bugnarok's rise. 


Episode 3 does feature a very Western kingdom full of Japanese people

The actress Erica Murakami is obviously half-white, right? This episode seems to throw back to the Tekken series. Granted, Tekken is part of Bandai-Namco which is the MERGER of both Bandai and Namco. Tekken does get product placements such as an early episode of Shinkenger where Chiaki plays Tekken 6, Tekken 7 gets some product placement in Kiramager, and the character Himeno Ran is no different. Himeno has a butler named SEBASTIAN. If you've played more Tekken games - you may notice that the wig resembles that of Lili Roquefort. Lili also had a butler named SEBASTIAN. I'm LMAOing one way or another at the blatant product placement.

The kingdom of Ishabana (a combination of the Japanese words for flower and hospital) is ruled by a young queen. Too young to hold power. I'm glad that the butler managed to survive this episode. Rose Irvin's butler died all too soon. Sebastian is probably meant to be kept alive or what? What makes me laugh is how the queen may be faking her selfish behavior. It's also heartwarming to see Himeno guard the child who supposedly can't walk. Himeno does have her weird behavior - probably a facade of what she truly is as revealed at the end of the episode. I'd say that Himeno gets me mixed. I was expecting her to be like Kimberly Hart of Mighty Morphin'. Instead, I'm glad that she might reference Lili from the Tekken series since I'm a fan of it. The actress Erica Murakami kinda looks like Jacqueline Scislowski (to a certain extent) though eye and hair color will tell them apart. 

I think Ishibaana's concept is rather funny. I'm reminded of why I felt the Dragon Quest games are better played in English than the original Japanese. Sure, this is a Japanese production but what in the world are we making a European-style kingdom full of Japanese people? I guess it's going to be hard to find white people who can speak Japanese, right? Speaking of which, I could easily understand that Super Sentai can be underappreciated due to language barriers. Power Rangers fans only started to appreciate it when fan subs (and later official subs) came out. 

The end of the episode Kaguraki Dybowski showing up at Ryuuyacules' throne room I wonder if Kaguraki is still unaware of the kind of person Ryuuyacules is. Come on, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the name Racules Hastie is such a DEAD GIVEAWAY to the kind of person the ruler of Shugoddam (maybe better call it STFUDamn because of its a**hole king). Also, Rita Repulsa ahem Kanisuka (and I wouldn't be surprised if her parents would probably be based on Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa) has made a few cameos. Rita apparently has some tricks on her sleeve or might discover something wrong with the king. A sudden attack happens at the end of the episode for a cliffhanger.

__________

I'm amazed at what might be a really huge budget. I guess that explains why the royalties of the Super Sentai don't come cheap any longer. I guess Kamen Rider isn't as expensive as Super Sentai. I heard that the Super Sentai official DVDs are more expensive than any licensed Toku releases. Is that true? Hmmm... if it is then seeing how CGI in Super Sentai has evolved might be that reason. Just think of how special effects back in the way were simply in their infancy. Here, it seems Toei Ltd. just wanted ot go full boom again.

Right now, I just want to joke that Toei pulled some weird tricks. I want to pretend that the people behind Knights of Tir Na Nog were involved in Kamen Rider Saber and now this one. I even wonder if Haim Saban secretly sent documents to Toei HQ or what? I even want to pretend Michael Bay is secretly involved here. After all, I love to joke Kagaku Sentai Dynaman had Bay's hand involved due to the huge amount of explosion. It's just my grandiose imagination at work.

What's going to be next? Right now, I'm actually looking for newer stuff to explore. I'm not so huge with Super Sentai since 2013. Yeah, you know how I still hate Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger though not at the same level as Power Rangers Megafail. I just decided to drop by this random post because I felt like it. 

Comments

  1. You said that both America and Thailand are allies. Ironically, Thailand airs Super Sentai instead of PR, even though it's part of Southest Asia (i.e. East Asia airs Sentai, though Korea aired PR instead of Sentai at one point).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment