Snailspeed Watching Boonboomger's Lightspeed Delivery Services?

 


Watching Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger and enjoying it because it's so shiny and new was something. I said, "That's the innovation I wanted from Toei!" Sure, I had those crazy comments like, "Well, it'd feel more authentic if we had white people playing the other roles!" Something that would be difficult or even impossible due to language barriers. King-Ohger was a very awkward yet interesting season. The only thing that I felt "authentic" was Erica Murakami playing Himeno since she's half-white.  Other than that, I enjoy bonking the rest of the cast because of Japanese people playing roles "better suited" for white people. Everyone did a good job and I was amazed with a lot of atypical stuff. The show had a more TV drama feel than the Kamen Rider franchise did during its reboot. The newer Kamen Rider series (which old schoolers prefer to call Masked Rider) feels more like a TV drama series. Those enormous changes in King-Ohger caused me a huge overhype. It was a huge budget action festival in many ways!

After a feast, it's time to save money and go back to normal. King-Ohger had huge CGI sets that really tried to break everything before it. I even got misled into believing they built those sets from scratch until I saw the green screen BTS. Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger goes back to the norm of Modern Japan and Tokyo is the Center of the Universe. Super Sentai's bizarre logic is often limited by Real Life Writes Plot. It's always cheaper to keep the plot in Japan (or in American superhero shows, IN AMERICA) when it comes to a live-action flick. 


A good example is Toei giving an obvious budget slash after Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. I still love Gokaiger but dislike it whenever people call it "the best ever" or act like they're experts just by watching it. I had some reservations about Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters and was too afraid to admit I LOVE IT. I gave Power Rangers Beast Morphers a shot and I went back to watching Go-Busters. Go-Busters has fewer Zords and it was trying to operate mostly within its own continuity. However, Toei still didn't account for how the Gavan episodes took place. Go-Busters tried to keep things simpler. If something gets festive then it's time to take a break from feasting.


Going back to actual sets is CHEAPER than the extensive CGI. CGI usage is usually limited so repeated use of stock footage happens. Examples of CGI recycled stock footage are morphing sequences and the Zord combination sequences. It's safe to assume Toei looked at the expenses incurred during King-Ohger and said, "Well, it's go back to Modern Japan and save more money!" Though, it's more like, "Festival is over! It's back to regular work!" King-Ohger was a festival-type show. Boonboomger goes back to the evolving standard formula for Super Sentai

In my case, King-Ohger wore me out with all the excitement it gave. Watching Boonboomger at a regular pace can be like riding a super-fast vehicle when one's worn out. The Boonboomgers' gear may even beat Tokosou Exceedraft in doing a lightspeed rescue. I believe slowing down can be beneficial. That's why I'm not doing episode reviews. I'm simply watching it at a snail pace. 

Comments