The Possibly Not-So-Easy Transition From The Highly Festive King-Ohger To Boonboomger

 

My flexibility is still there. I've already made plans to let this blog have the same fate as Power Rangers Now last 2013 (because I really found Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger a messy prospect). What I never expected was that I'd actually enjoy Uchu Sentai Kyuranger. Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger has a huge following - ranking third with BuzzwordsKing-Ohger became a huge budget festival with some major changes in writing. Yosuke Ito who acted as Sen Enari in Tokosou Sentai Dekaranger is said to be leading a campaign for the final three episodes to have a cinematic release. With all that, Toei may have to deal with the Tough Act to Follow and it's not the first time that happened. 

Several times, Toei creates something so good that it overshadows what it offers next. Some Super Sentai seasons suffer that fate during its initial run. It could also affect toy sales. I heard that Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters was overshadowed by Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. Super Sentai probably had a reboot treatment with Uchu Sentai Kyuranger. The not-so-surprising result is that Kaito Sentai Lupinranger vs. Keisatsu Sentai Patranger didn't perform well with toy sales. People were probably still hanged over from Kyuranger and there's a surplus of toys. Some people prefer to buy the toys at a discount (especially in the lower income bracket) instead of the newly-released Lupinranger vs. Patranger merchandise. 

With King-Ohger being a trending series - there's bound to be toy sales. My inner child is appealed by the toy designs of King-Ohger. After seeing the first episode - people may be exhausted while designing the Zords. The King-Ohger Gattai is one cool Megazord. Boonboomger Robo doesn't look as cool as last year's Megazord. I even feel everything from King-Ohger was so detailed that it could overshadow Boonboomger one way or another.

If there's one thing I feel - Bandai and Toei are playing it safe after a huge anniversary. That may explain why Go-Busters' Zords aren't really top-of-the-line toy merchandise. That's why I'm amazed Hasbro decided to pick it up years later. Sure, I enjoy Go-Busters but the toyline itself isn't spectacular. The budget may have been purposely decreased on purpose. Toei and Bandai may have observed that after a Super Sentai season that's so good - people are probably on a hangover. Boonboomger may be playing it safe. If that's so then that's a good thing.

Boonboomger is the sixth entry of the Reiwa series. Kishinryu Sentai Ryusoulger transitioned to the Reiwa era in episode 8. Maybe, King-Ohger's status as the fifth Reiwa entry (if you count Ryusoulger) would explain why it was given a celebratory budget. Man, I never thought of that! I was counting it from Kiramager since Ryusoulger started toward the end of the Heisei era. In this case, Toei is probably sticking to that "Good old regular budget."

That would explain why everything's back to Modern Japan. Kyuranger took place in some distant future conquered by the bad guys. Lupinranger vs. Patranger goes back to the contemporary settings. I think the use of CGI can be very expensive. The use of CGI environments can really take a WHOLE LOT MORE TIME. Maybe, I'm more used to the outside locations. I even think part of Super Sentai's charm is the use of actual locations more than CGI locations. Boonboomger is probably cost-cutting. Toei's probably projecting lower toy sales too. If so then I don't blame their decisions to shift back to Modern Japan. 

I should really put a low bar for Boonboomger. It should be like that after a huge feast - I should expect to eat simpler foods. I believe the same hit Boonboomger - it's introducing new stuff while trying to play it safe. That's why I feel I may not write weekly reviews anymore. I might even give this HOBBY BLOG the same fate as Power Rangers Now. 

Comments