My First Impressions Of Bun Red 119 As A Red Ranger Battlizer


I still have my Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger hype. However, I caught up with Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger which I dare call the "necessary return to simpler-looking designs". This week has made me more familiar with the Japanese number 119. Yes, 119 works the same way as 911 in America. 119 in Japan is an emergency rescue number. Boonboomger carries the motif of a lightspeed delivery service. I'm warming up to how a ranger team of "mostly unremarkable civilians" are proving themselves worthy to handle the powers of lightspeed. This is coming from me who thinks that lightspeed rescue technologies are best handled for those who do rescue work for a living -- not non-professional civilians! 

The scene almost feels like an upgrade to Ressha Sentai ToQGer's Imagination Power. I confess the show felt boring -- it was at that time I had franchise fatigue! Taiya originally wanted to be a firefighter but never got to that point. It seems Taiya was probably prohibited by his parents, maybe he has some underlying health concern (my being prone to coughing makes me not qualified for that job). It's activated by the new weapon called the Zoonzoom Shoka Blaster. I'm glad that the Red Ranger Battlizer here uses a lean design. I'm glad that Super Sentai didn't create power-ups similar to that overly cheesy Hyper Blue Beet in Juuku B-Fighter. Power Rangers used those bulky American-exclusive Battlizers -- presumably to sell an extra toy. Interestingly, Mahou Sentai Magiranger vs. Tokosou Sentai Dekaranger ported over the SPD Battlizer from Power Rangers SPD

I feel that this new Battlizer toy serves its purpose for the summer -- not just the 25th anniversary of Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive. Summer's a time when fires easily happen. I was getting panicky when I was reading the news of fires left and right. Boonboomger keeps doing safety rule PSAs in almost the same way as Gekisou Sentai Carranger (and it seems that the show already paid tribute to the late Yuka Motohashi) during the ending credits. It's almost similar to the PSAs in the 1980s G.I. Joe cartoon. The power-up was used to combat a fire-themed monster. 


It would also be a contrast to last year's Battlizer to be overused. I confess that as much as I love King-Ohger -- I had an issue with the Battlizer overuse. Maybe, it's because it defeated the purpose of having a red ranger. It kinda resembles the Battlizer from Power Rangers Operation Overdrive -- coupled up with the Founder's Crown as the Corona Aurora. Sure, the King Kuwagata Ohger power-up wasn't OP as previous Battlizers in the past -- whether it was created by Toei, Disney, or Saban. However, I still feel it overstayed its welcome as a new toy. I felt the Founder's Crown should've been only used to turn the tide or pose a risk to the user -- as an act to avoid the Red Ranger from becoming OP. Hopefully, the Bun Red 119 Battlizer would only be used as a desperate attack. 

Overall, it seems to have better marketing in it than most Battlizers. It's summer season and fire is bound to happen. I guess it's meant to sell a toy while reminding children to stay safe from fires. 

Comments