My Random Thoughts On Boonboomger In 25 Episodes

 

I haven't been writing episode reviews. They can be enjoying and they can be tiresome. Blogging is just a sideline. As I caught up with Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger -- I'm still hyped up with last year's Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger. Yes, I'm not going to hide that fact! It might just be a matter of taste fatigue. I won't deny that I've shifted my preference to South Korean entertainment over Japanese entertainment. However, that hasn't prevented me from at least checking out Boonboomger

After a huge adventure in some fantasy world -- it's time to go back to Modern Japan. Maybe, it's like going back to your own country or planet after a long trip. I was already obsessed with moving Super Sentai away from Modern Japan -- in favor of other fictional settings. King-Ohger gave me that. Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger also gave me that feeling. What I tend to ignore is that Super Sentai will always have certain limits. Super Sentai operates within a certain budget. That may explain why it's usually set in Modern Japan. Making something like King-Ohger and Kyuranger can be that expensive.

The show goes back to "simpler" styles. The suit vibes remind me of Ressha Sentai ToQGer -- a show I only enjoyed AFTER it aired. The show's designs go for the simplistic look -- like ToQGer did with the "pajama style" outfits. Maybe, Toei wanted to keep things simple after the extravagance that's Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters used simpler designs and even fewer mecha after Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. Even the Red Ranger Battlizer in Boonboomger runs on simpler designs. 

However, substance is more important than style. Sacrificing some style in favor of substance can be good -- as shown in ToQGer. ToQGer presents a dynamic of rangers trying to find their pasts. Boonboomger gives some explorations of the characters. The connection between the Boonboomgers and the International Space Agency (ISA) can get interesting. Some random flashbacks help flesh out the characters. I'm wondering how the ISA and the Boonboomgers will develop? 


Boonboomger used the formula of replacing the villanous commanding officer. Mad Max was written off. Now, Cannonborg was written off. One may have noticed that this happened in Himitsu Sentai Goranger and in Seijuu Sentai Gingaman. I guess Toei wants to do more with the replacing commanding officers plot device. Super Sentai villain organizations tend to have commanding officers take turns per week -- something that became more staple than replacing the commanding officers. Cannonborg will be replaced by Disrace. It's been divided into Lap 1 (1-9), Lap 2 (10-25), and we're entering Lap 3. It reminds me of how the Gingaman commanding officers replaced each other when the previous one fell. 

The villain plots are back to standard. King-Ohger had the Bugnarok attempting to finish off the humans. The second half featured the Jesters (and they played more like the Nezirangers in Denji Sentai Megaranger). The villains come up with the typical stupid plans to get Gyasholine. Gyasholine is gathered from human despair. The Sanseaters with the Monster of the Week are deployed by the incumbent commanding officer. Monsters of the week are born from inanimate objects via the Hashyrian ignition key. 

_____

However, what may keep me entertained is this. The Big Bad namely Wired Spindo has been heard a few times only. What does the Big Bad look like? What secrets will be spilled along the way? But as always -- I'm still watching it at my own pace. 

Comments