The Child Ranger Execution: Kou And Justin Compared

I just want to compare Kou as a child ranger with Justin as a child ranger. Apparently this gimmick didn't work so well but let's just think about how it was executed on both sides. So here's a bit of re-edit that should talk about how Kou and Justin were carried out.

I remembered watching Power Rangers Turbo way back in the late 90s -- good thing I dropped my interest on Power Rangers. The Zordon arc was getting old for me -- so why is the same cast recycled over and over again with just a few changes? Fortunately, Power Rangers Turbo had a change of cast mid-season all except for Justin. Yes, Justin. I remembered how I keep hearing that the Power Rangers fandom just didn't like him or even bashed him for simply being a child. I even heard that Fox Kids requested for a child ranger to be there so they could appeal to younger audiences. I have nothing against the character - it's more of how Power Rangers Turbo turned out. I didn't mind too much having a child ranger at all. Just that, Justin was just a gimmick and nothing more.

Years later, I heard of Gosei Sentai Dairanger and started reading synopsis (which by the way is NO substitute for watching the show). I found out that their white ranger as well - a nine year old brat! He was also a little pervert who had a crush on Rin. I think he was added because of Noboru Sugimura's love for children. But what makes him stand out against Justin? It's because he wasn't just there to be there. Sure, it's baffling why Byakkoshinken would use a child but it had a purpose. He was also given a lot of interesting backstories such as his paternity (Shadam is his father), the possibility that he would become a full Gorma, his sibling rivalry with Akomaru. Those stuff made him more interesting than, "Hey! Check it out! He's the first child ranger!"

It also has me thinking about Kou's bashers especially if they call him as "Justin disgracing Tommy!" No, he isn't Justin disgracing Tommy considering that one -- Dairanger came out in 1993 and Power Rangers Turbo came out in 1997! Also, I think Tommy is really just overrated and overused too. Kou was given a lot of interesting backstory and some space for the audience's decision - which makes his plot way superior to Justin's just being there for being there.

Comments

  1. Kou is just a better and more intriging character then Justin period.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment