Post-Gobusters Seasons Make Gobusters Look Good To Me!


Go-Busters is one season I think I'll always get mixed about. Maybe it's because I didn't like Power Rangers RPM's concept (but I'll watch it from start to end) and Go-Busters is a pretty serious season having RPM references. Don't get me wrong, I do like serious seasons like Maskman, Liveman, Jetman, Dairanger and Timeranger though if it gets too serious like Toshiki Inoue's Kamen Rider Faiz, I simply must say that it can be a big ruin but I'll share my own humble opinion. I can like any atypical series like Timeranger or an atypical Kamen Rider season like Agito, but there's more than meets the eye. I simply have my issues with Gobusters having a stiff-faced cast and I thought that Yasuko Kobayashi just didn't get the right co-writers or sub-writers to help her out. They could have gotten Toshiki Inoue and Junki Takegami to help her out. Inoue might have actually created an episode to exploit Hiromu's weakness of chickens aka a Chicken Metaroid and Takegami might provide some other styles.

After Go-Busters, I was hoping for a better series in Kyoryuger and later ToQGer. In truth, ToQGer is really where I felt Kobayashi just gave up writing a good story, that series should have been written by Naruhisa Arakawa instead! In the case of Go-Busters, at least she was trying to a certain extent but either she burned out or she just gave up writing a good story. I guess the same thing happened to Toshiki Inoue. If Inoue were with Gobusters, I guess he and Kobayashi might end up having another writer vs. producer war which I believe happened in Kamen Rider Ryuki where writing fell apart... and the series should have just ended with everyone dead, but no, executive meddling may have made them press the reset button!

If Gobusters had any advantage over its successors, I would say that its storyline is really easier to follow and not too commercialized. There's not so much mecha and most of the plots are easier to follow through the whole Enetron stealing plot lacks diversity compared to the villains in Gingaman who looked for various ways to revive Daitanix or the villains in Shinkenger seeking to raise up the Sanzu River's level up to the surface world. I know the show lacks some creative direction and Naomi Takebe is pretty hit it or miss it but credit where credit is due, I didn't feel like the writing was that bad. The Go-Busters didn't have a mecha... errr... Megazord overload which I think is a positive side of the show. I felt like the way Kyoryuger, ToQGer and Ninninger were written in a way that tends to be more difficult to follow.

I could agree with people who think Gobusters has a stiff cast, it's a bad point but I don't find them obnoxious. With that in mind, as much as I hate Power Rangers Megaforce, I'd rather pick Troy/Megaforce Red over Daigo Kiryu/Kyoryu Red as my companion, or Hiromu would be a better companion too. ToQGer's cast was okay but I felt like Gobusters had more interesting writing for its cast. I don't know if it's my age that's making me have bad reception on ToQGer or do I think that Gobusters' military setting is better? Even with a lack of personality, I felt like they weren't really just to be there. The succeeding Super Sentai series might have gotten pretty bland, boring, or just too kiddie. Heck, I'm even getting mixed on Ninninger's cast too.

So what are your thoughts?

Comments