More Early Thoughts On Kishiryu Sentai Ryuusoulger

Well 2018 is coming to an end and 2019 is coming in -- this has me getting excited (and nervous) at the same time about the upcoming series Kishiryu Sentai Ryuusoulger. Now I decided to read through Ukiyaseed concerning both the staff and the plot to get more information.

The staff

The staff is revealed as follows:

The upcoming series will be produced by Toei producers Shinya Maruyama (Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon) and Kazuhiro Takahashi (Kamen Rider Ghost). The series will be written by Junpei Yamaoka (Majisuka Gakuen, Kamen Teacher), making this the first time he has written a tokusatsu series. The series will be directed by Kazuya Kamihoriuchi (Kamen Rider Heisei Generations FINAL), who is best known for his work in Kamen Rider Ex-Aid and Kamen Rider Build. This is his first time directing a Super Sentai Series. Lastly, the series will feature music composed by Kiyoshi Yoshikawa (CSI: Crime Scene Talks). 

Now this is where I want to shout "I'm freaking clueless" -- especially when I can admit I had to watch Akibaranger to know who's who in Super Sentai. I'm a guy who never knew who Kazuo Niibori was before Akibaranger featured him! I admit, I'm only familiar with the live version of Sailor Moon and I wasn't too impressed with Kamen Rider Ghost compared to Kamen Rider Drive.

Now for the series writer Yamaoka -- I'm not yet even familiar with both series mentioned such as Majisuka Gakuen and Kamen Teacher. This is due to the fact that while I'm a fan of Japanese entertainment -- I wouldn't know everything until sites like Ukiyaseed and JEFusion (which I left so I can focus on my area and I'd rather have a friendly debate with them) tell me the names or if I start doing more research. Both dramas involve school environments so I wonder how will Yamaoka fit in here? It's too early to tell.

Now I think about having a director who's best known for mostly Kamen Rider series. I wouldn't dare say that Kamen Rider and Super Sentai are equally created because they both have their differences. Kamen Rider has usually been more used to having a single titular hero and later shows have their  sidekicks. It's no secret that after Go-Busters that I started to think most new school Kamen Rider series are better than most new school Super Sentai. Trying to shift from one after the other can be a challenge. I hope that Kamihoriuchi can do a good job doing the direction as he tries to do hard on a Super Sentai series.

Real life writes the plot?

Well it's already well-established that Super Sentai series is a series of shows that don't usually go back to the previous show. If you've noticed -- Kamen Rider Decade and Kyuranger actually show you that there are different universes out there. Kamen Rider Decade showed the World of Shinkenger is an entirely different world. Kyuranger managed to show that they belonged to an entirely different universe -- hence the possibility of Kyuranger vs. Space Squad as "non-canon" is in fact very huge!

So what's the plot? Here's where I kinda want to see the show (but maybe at my own pace):

65 million years ago, dinosaurs are everywhere, and when enemies sought to take over world, knights were chosen to fight this threat. A meteor falls to the Earth, causing the end of the dinosaurs. Those chosen knights then chose to live the rest of their lives quietly on Earth. In preparation for the return of the enemy, the dinosaurs with great power were made to sleep in a temple. 

Now at the end of the Heisei Era, the enemies have returned to Earth, pushing their evil to the limits of the universe. Now is the time to grasp the power of the dinosaurs! Knights x Dinosaurs, now is the time for the Ryusoulgers to protect Earth's peace with that power! 

Knights? Zyuranger! Dragon Quest! Final Fantasy! Maybe you may even want to think of Saban's original production called Knights of Tir Na Nog! Then the plot of 65 million years ago brings me back to Zyuranger again and the knights plot obviously got itself (in part) to Zyuranger though not everyone in said team was a knight -- Geki was a knight's son raised as a Yamato prince and Mei is a princess. So a meteor falls down? Well Abaranger did something different -- it created Another Earth where dinosaurs still exist. Dinosaur extinction in Kyoryuger happened way differently as it was caused by a trio of monsters who brought extreme temperatures and diseases!

Now the real life writes plot? Well we do know that the Heisei Era is indeed coming to an end. April 30, 2019 is the real life end of the Heisei era. What I learned is that the show is destined to air on March 17, 2019 which would be closer to the end of the Heisei era than it would be on February. We could remember a couple of shows that transitioned between Showa and Heisei such as Chojuu Sentai Liveman and Kamen Rider Black RX. Black RX was the only Kamen Rider to be a direct sequel of a previous show and one to fit in between both eras. In the case of Ryusouger -- it looks like that they are focusing on preparing everyone in Japan for the inevitable end of the Heisei era and for a yet to be named era.

So this also has me wondering if Ryusouger is also meant to be the red carpet for Prince Naruhito of Japan as the new Japanese Head of State. So far, no news yet of a potential Japanese Head of Government or Prime Minister as of this time. Although I do have a feeling that Emperor Akihito may want to abdicate his role as Head of State in the Japanese parliament earlier than April 30, 2019. Hmmm is the abdication now scheduled on March 17, 2019 instead? I can't really tell. But I'm somehow glad that the airing will be delayed -- that should at least give people time to at least sit back and enjoy other stuff for the meantime. Also, maybe that would give the people behind Kamen Rider Zi-O more time to think of how to end the series should be plan to end it before the Heisei era ends!

Comments