My Final Thoughts On Denziman


So I finally finished Denziman. While I normally prefer old school Super Sentai to new school ones but it's not always the case. For me, it's all about which show does good and there have been good new school shows such as Go-Busters (though it's about to go old school now) and maybe I can say Kyuranger (sorry bashers) or even Lupinranger vs. Patranger for me. But, I'd like to really talk about how Denziman just ends up passable in my list of Super Sentai series watched.

So how does it go? I could go on and on with the following issues...


I think Queen Hedorian of Denziman is well, basic. I need to cut some slack considering it's still an early Super Sentai. Maybe, the madness of Bandora in Zyuranger (which was also acted by the late Soga Machiko) is more fun to watch than Denziman. While she's an interesting villain in the sense that she's actually a benevolent boss in many ways but Bandora was more interesting to watch. Maybe, I could also say Spielban's Queen Pandora was more interesting due to how ruthless she can get -- though it's no secret that Bandora does get too much credit because of Mighty Morphin's Rita Repulsa! Her occasional headaches aren't as funny as Bandora's either. 


Hmmm, I think the late Soga Machiko as Witch Bandora in Zyuranger has been way more entertaining than Hedorian. Bandora was more entertaining with her stupid plots for world domination -- it's because she does it out of hatred for children. Unlike Professor K in Machineman, Bandora does come out way more interesting with a more improved Machiko. While Bandora is actually more entertaining than Queen Hedorian -- I just need to cut some slack because it's still the 1980s!


Another of my main complaints is how Demon King Banriki arrives and does almost nothing after his first appearance. He was interesting at first because he was a dangerous enemy to the Denzimen but he ends up retreating after he had the upper hand. Like WTF?! He ends up as a drunken bum in the case who does nothing but taunt the others. He only does something noteworthy during the finale arc by actually succeeding in taking over Vader Castle. But for the rest of his appearance? He just ends up as a drunken bum which for me is really THAT STUPID. I guess Toei had no idea yet on how to deal with game-changing villains. Hirohisa Soda himself finally came in and knew on what to do with game-changing villains such as General Zenobia (Dynaman), Bio Hunter Silver (Bioman), Ahames (Changeman), Sir Kaura (Flashman), Kiros (Maskman), Dr. Ashura (Liveman), Yamimaru (Turboranger) though he did start to lose it with Fiveman's Chevalier. But still, Banriki is just generic and forgettable.


What was worse is that Hedorian's ending was just hanging. Sure, she exiled herself and that's it? The ending was disappointing for me. Later, Hedorian would return in Sun Vulcan but the loose ties with Denziman are there. Sun Vulcan is supposed to be a DIRECT SEQUEL to Denziman -- so why wasn't there even a crossover between the two shows? Sun Vulcan was pretty much starting to liven things up. I've seen Sun Vulcan first before this show. Personally, I think both shows are what you'd call shows that may have not aged well in contrast to other old-school Super Sentai series!


Also, I thought that the crossover should've happened because of the links it had with Denziman. Why Toei never pushed through with the crossover is still left unknown. The crossover never happened and it could have been good if it happened. Then again, remember when no yearly crossover happened since Battle Fever J's debut as the first Sentai series with "Super" in the title? Denziman and Sun Vulcan could've happened but I guess Toei had other priorities at that time. Now, only if someone can tell me why this didn't happen? It could have been interesting if Hedorian's promise to meet the Denzimen happened. It just never happened after she exiled herself.

What about you? Did you enjoy Denziman? I admit, it's just passable and nothing much IMHO. I may or may not decide to watch Goranger (84 long episodes) or the short-lived JAKQ especially other old school and new school stuff caught my attention for the nth time!

Comments

  1. Next year is the 40th year of Electronic Squadron DenziMan/Electromagnetic Men. How I wish Kenji Ohba will have a reunited event with Shinichi Yuuki, Eiichi Tsuyama, Naoya Uchida and Akira Koizumi. And I just want to see the said Senior Citizen Actors and Actresses of DenziMan one last time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things will just be wishful thinking TBH, right? Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment