Ryusoulger 34: The Space Dragon Arrives

Well, it's time for another Ryusoulger review. A space dragon arrives! The people handling the show probably didn't want dinosaurs to start with. This week's episode seems to support my theory that Ryusoulger was supposed to be dragon-based. 

Is it me or is the Druidon plot now disorganized? I hope I'm not copying opinions as of late. A new Druidon general named Pricious arrives. The show doesn't seem to address his or her gender yet. I'd assume Pricious is female for the reason the character is voiced by ROMI PARK. Do you remember the voice and human form of Dayu in Shinkenger ten years back? Pricious arrives and causes mayhem. The villain seems to be male even while voiced by a female dubber.

Here's a bit of a joke I want to throw. There's a comedy skit planned by Canaro and Asuna. Is it me or do I find it funny Canaro hasn't attempted to woo Asuna after EVERY. FAILED. COURTSHIP.? Yup, I punctuated that for emphasis because it reminds me of one of my mistakes in fanfic writing to drag down characters just for my own amusement. Asuna doesn't take it lightly and uses her brute strength. Okay, am I getting carried out? I hope this doesn't mutate into a running gag!

Gachileus still shows up and causes trouble. The new form Max Ryusoul Red is powerful but it can drive towards overconfidence. I remembered how often power-ups get introduced and the plot of overconfidence isn't that well utilized for the past several years. Carranger did something amazing though by making the rangers more lenient due to their power-ups. There's also a threat arrives after the power-up arrives - remember how Silver arrived in Bioman and he's armed with the same Anti-Bio Particles that killed Mika off? I also want to mention Devon went overconfident over his Fury mode which may not be used again - that's until Hasbro decides to say, "It's too good to be thrown out!"

Pricious is a dirty sneak. He has the ability to copy the ability of others. He's pretty much a dirty sneak. Doesn't that remind you of Rasetsu in Gaoranger? Rasetsu treated both Yabaiba and Tsuetsue as disposables. What's interesting is that Rasetsu had a female voice and a male voice too. I'll get a bit to more notes LATER to avoid distraction from the topic. TBH, I even wish that Jun Yoshida who played Poe in Shaider were still around. At least, Yoshida could've given that voice or he should've been Berg Katse in the Gatchaman movie!

Is it me or is logic always suspended in disbelief in watching a superhero show? I can't forget how it's never easy for anybody to ask if the citizens in any superhero show are idiots. A strange old man makes a new restaurant and NOBODY questions. It turns out that it's the Ryusoul Elder and Oto. The Ryusoul Elder mentions the arriving of the Druidon's main forces. Hmmm... is Pricious really the Big Bad of the show now? 

The Trial Mountains were designed by Seto long ago. Now, is it me or is Seto (who still uses Naohisa's body every now and then) like Gragwort from the Dragon Quest Heroes franchise? There are tests to pass to get stronger. I can't forget Dragon Quest Heroes 2 had a series of rather difficult challenges to get better weapons to get yourself another achievement and to defeat bonus bosses. Banba must fight without breaking an egg and Towa must fight without saying a word.

Meanwhile, Canaro is willing to take the trials as well. The grudge seems to be healed at this point. I wish the lore will be expanded sooner.

Overconfidence is the name of the game. Pricious shows he's not to be messed with. Whether or not he's going to be the final antagonist or not still remains to be seen. But like Rasetsu in Gaoranger - he appears to be a truly fearsome threat. He sends for the Space Dragon earlier which shows it's not an easy feat. I love how the mecha scenes just made you think twice before gloating about your new power-up. The Ryusoulgers need to learn their power-ups wisely. Koh learns a lesson about overconfidence here.

Next week would probably have more trials. I hope next week will expand with Pricious' arrival and the Druidons. I wonder how will next week turn out. Master Red will make a cameo too which makes me wonder how Koh will survive the trials.

And now for an extremely long sidenote...

I wanted to write this one because right now. I noticed that the Power Rangers Wikia (or any Wiki for that matter) needs to be taken with a grain of salt. the Power Rangers Wiki page is also prone to error such as giving inaccurate Bioman episode summaries based on the inaccurate English dub! Earlier, the page about Pricious says that the character is female but minutes later - it says, male! Okay, what's it going to be then? Hopefully, that will be resolved a week from now! 

Not every female character tends to be voiced by a woman or every male character voiced by a man. If you watched Changeman - you will notice that Princess Shiima was voiced by a man before her natural voice was restored. Bioman also had Peebo voiced by a female named Yoshiko Ota. Peebo may be a male by his programming (screwed up dub gives him the trope She's A Man in Japan) but had a female voice actor and I heard, a female suit actor. I even heard Alpha Five in Mighty Morphin' had a female suit actor. Aren't some female rangers stunt-doubled by MALES too?

For Anime fans - you may also notice that Goku in his younger days was voiced by Masako Nozawa. If you've seen Golion then you noticed that Honerva (Hagar in Lion Voltron) sounds like Goku. It's because Nozawa is the very voice of both characters. Also, Megaman Legends 2 had Megaman Volnutt's English voice is Susan Roman and the Japanese was voiced by Mayumi Tanaka for both the first and second games. So, I don't think it's anything unusual for a woman to voice a male suit villain and vice versa. Did they need a flamboyant performance but couldn't find the right man for it? 

What are your thoughts on this matter? 

Comments