Toei's Toku Series Celebrating Their Major Anniversaries This 2020

It's no doubt that the 2020s have begun and the 2010s have ended. So, I decided to do a bit of a nostalgic throwback to make us either feel young or old. The Sword of Time can be very cruel too you know. The same time that strengthens your resistance will eventually weaken you! Now, it's time for a bit of throwback...

45th anniversary


Himitsu Sentai Goranger

Goranger is turning 45th this year. One can't deny that the show may already be very distant with newer fans. You can tell why some people just don't watch old school Super Sentai for very valid reasons.


Kamen Rider Stronger

The fifth installment of the Showa era Kamen Rider. I heard Kamen Rider was supposed to end with Stronger until Skyrider came in four years later. I admit, I watched this show and I don't really enjoy Showa era Kamen Riders that much!

40th anniversary


Denzi Sentai Denziman

A very basic Super Sentai. While I do usually like most of the old school but some of them just age badly even if they had a good start. I watched Denziman and found it not to be way too interesting. But again one should still show respect for this series, right?

Kamen Rider Super-1

This is definitely another time where I tend to be inflexible towards most Showa era Riders. I did see Kamen Rider Super-1 but I haven't seen most of the old school Showa Riders. Super-1 had an interesting premise of a space-themed Kamen Rider but fell FLAT for me. I suggest watching Kamen Rider Fourze instead!

35th anniversary


Dengeki Sentai Changeman

Perhaps one of the most innovative 80s series. I don't think everyone would be too welcome to watch this assuming they came from a new era. The series has the very military/space hybrid theme going on. Hirohisa Soda himself started getting serious with Bioman and this show was a step-up. A lot of new stuff such as more interesting villains made this series take Super Sentai forward.

30th anniversary

Image result for winspector fiveman
Chikyu Sentai Fiveman and Tokkei Winspector

Coincidence or not? Kamen Rider got its hiatus in 1989 and 1990 had its focus on Metal Hero. Today, Metal Hero lives on in Kamen Rider's newer innovative concepts. Back then, Toei did have some interesting takes such as making more mature Toku shows. The start of it was the highly successful Winspector together with the flop that's Fiveman. Yup, Fiveman NEARLY ended Super Sentai in the 1990s if it wasn't for Jetman in 1991! Both shows were in the 90s and are celebrating their 20th anniversary.

The coincidence is bizarre now, isn't it? This year is also the anniversary of Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue. Last year was GoGoFive's 20th anniversary. I always compare GoGoFive to Fiveman instead of Lightspeed Rescue. I even keep saying that Fiveman and Winspector inspired GoGoFive. GoGoFive would serve as the source material for Lightspeed Rescue. I even feel GoGoFive may be overappreciated now since the official DVD sales. I suggest Lightspeed fans should at least check out Winspector and maybe Fiveman. Maybe, just maybe, they'll find Winspector's storytelling better than GoGoFive.

25th anniversary


Choriki Sentai Ohranger

Something to think about as Ohranger is a series vindicated by history. You can think of how Ohranger had a drop in ratings. There was the sarin gas incident. Back then, Zeo gets so much praise the year after. However, I feel Ohranger just got appreciated for what it is. Some Zeo fans probably enjoy it now on its own merits. Though, I still can't watch Ohranger without thinking about how much I dislike Zeo. I could still think how Ohranger followed by Carranger weren't really good. It took Megaranger to bring Super Sentai ratings back to normal. Yet, Ohranger itself is remembered for actually giving Goranger and JAKQ their rightful places as part of the Super Sentai franchise. Not to mention, it was Goranger's 20th anniversary that year too!


B-Fighter

I haven't seen much of B-Fighter and I don't know if I should even watch it. Right now, I just want my Exceedraft and Janperson subs! B-Fighter was the source material for that idiotic Big Bad Beetleborgs. B-Fighter was later followed by its inferior sequel B-Fighter Kabuto. Metal Hero eventually died off in the 90s. What's interesting is that in 2006 - we had Kamen Rider Kabuto with suits that look like upgraded versions from B-Fighter. So, Metal Hero ain't dead after all - it just continued on having been combined with Kamen Rider!

20th anniversary


Are rumors now getting dispelled? Just like the Lost Galaxy rumor in Japan - it turns out that Joe Odagiri DID NOT dislike his role as Kamen Rider Kuuga. Did Masaharu Nagai really dislike his role as Tatsuya Asami? Hopefully, it's just a rumor in itself. What I can't deny is that 20 years ago - two series would be working two ways. Timeranger was going to be a finale for Super Sentai (and Gaoranger was more or less a franchise reboot) while Kamen Rider Kuuga was going to be a reboot in itself. Personally, I end up thinking both series have aged well in some way.

15th anniversary

I'd probably call 2005 a loser year for Toei and here's why...


Maho Sentai Magiranger

I don't care if people call it a successful show or not. Personally, this is one of the worst Super Sentai series that ever happened for me. The cast of the show is very unlikable. Kai keeps on whining and bitching. Houka is probably the worst pink ranger in Super Sentai history ever. I think the Ozus are very unlikable as a family! The more I watch it - the more I think it has to be one of the worst shows ever. Better watch Fiveman and GoGoFive if you want better family shows!


Kamen Rider Hibiki

Yet... another... boring... show! While I usually prefer new school Kamen Rider or the Heisei to the most recent Riders - there's seldom a time when I can't say I like the show. I may have found Kamen Rider Ghost to be kinda boring at times - this one is WAY... MUCH... WORSE. The first half by Tsuyoshi Kida (and yes, he was also behind Kamen Rider Wizard) is just boring. The second half had producer Shinichiro Shirakura take over Shigenori Takatera. Toshiki Inoue did bring development in the second half BUT the show just ended in a hanging note.

10th anniversary


Tensou Sentai Goseiger

This is another show where I end up saying, "If it took a bad Power Rangers localization to make it look better then it must be that bad!" here. Goseiger is really for me a boring show that's probably forever in the shadow of Shinkenger. If anything, Power Rangers Megafail's horridness actually SAVED this show from the shadow of Shinkenger. Megafail is still the worst Super Sentai anniversary ever, right? A second look makes me think it has better characters than Magiranger AND Megafail. In due fairness, the cast is actually way more likable too! Eri may be dumb but at least she's funny and not irritating. At least, these guys got rightfully vindicated by history because Megafail was just Mega-Awful!


Kamen Rider OOO

I'm actually a fan of this show's zany moments. Sure, Yasuko Kobayashi sucks at her humor at times (and Shinkenger does have failed humor moments) but she did pull some things right. I do think the gimmick of the show is a fun, relaxing watch from the serious moments of Kamen Rider. Also, I do love to make fun of it that "Haim Saban" was actually a character in this show as Cake Boss.

5th anniversary

Yet, another loser year (at least for me) huh? 2015 for me didn't give good shows either. Though there's some justice done sometime later...


Shuriken Sentai Ninninger

While Goseiger celebrates its 10th anniversary vindicated by history - so does Ninninger! I could never forget how boring I thought the show was and Kento Shimoyama botched it. Worse, the new idea for toy sales FLOPPED. Toei probably needed to examine the changes they made that year and correct them. Ninninger though got vindicated by history because Ninja Steel is JUST... THAT... AWFUL! As said, if it takes something as stupid as a failed Power Rangers counterpart to make it look good then it must have been that bad! Until now, I still haven't felt the need to rewatch it either. Though, it has been vindicated by history all because Ninja Steel's still WAY MUCH WORSE than this show!


Kamen Rider Ghost

The show has an educational experience and got me interested in restudying history. At first, it was an interesting concept but it got old too fast. If I wanted a Danny Phantom-type of Kamen Rider then why not Kamen Rider Kiva? Kiva maybe Inoue burning out BUT I feel it's still better than Ghost. Though, I'd probably still rewatch Ghost over Ninninger and Zyuohger now!

______

Happy new year!

Comments

Post a Comment