Should I Lower My PERSONAL Expectations For Mashin Sentai Kiramager?

It's no secret that Kishinryu Sentai Ryusoulger only has two episodes left (I'll just summarize the last three episodes) before it ends, right? Well, I remembered times when I tend to be overly excited only to have it backfire or get disappointed, right? I can't say what I should do between keeping expectations lower as possible or what? There's the excitement that Naruhisa Arakawa is about to become Mashin Sentai Kiramager's head writer. Is it me or is there that inevitable time that any good writer will eventually burn out? That is when it happens - you can expect the quality of work has become lesser no matter how new it is.

We can take a look at Arakawa's projects back in the past. Remember how he had an Old Shame with the Chojin Sentai Jetman episode involving Dryer Jigen? I still think his Kamen Rider Black episode with the Golden Bug Mutant was all that good either. Then I think about how he ended up proving himself to have gotten better with Kamen Rider Kuuga as the main writer. He was also responsible for some fan-favorites such as Tokosou Sentai Dekaranger, and Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. He has also written some interesting episodes past-Gokaiger though his Ryusoulger episodes may either be good or bad depending on how one views it. Though I did enjoy his Uchu Sentai Kyuranger episodes.

What happens when a writer gets burnt out? Well, let's consider the following writers now, shall we?
  • Hirohisa Soda the guy who revolutionized Super Sentai with various experimental writing eventually fell down really bad during Chikyu Sentai Fiveman. Sure, I still think Kosuku Sentai Turboranger is a decent series but Fiveman is eventually considered the lowest point of his series. Sure, Fiveman was part of my childhood but it was also the series that nearly made people lose interest in the Super Sentai franchise. 
  • Toshiki Inoue himself is the guy that saved Super Sentai as the head writer of Chojin Sentai Jetman. Before that, he started a dynamic way of writing during the late 80s with Hirohisa Soda's series. He was experimenting with new concepts. Jetman became a hit and Super Sentai went on. He also was the writer of the hit Kamen Rider series Kamen Rider Agito while we have to acknowledge Changerion really is just a cult hit of an experiment. Then you can consider that he started showing signs of burning during Kamen Rider Faiz (which he wrote all the episodes) and Kamen Rider Kiva is where he practically wasn't at his best. But hey, I do like Kiva but it'll always be Inoue's least quality series! This guy also has the tendency to write weaker finales most of the time. 
  • Yasuko Kobayashi became an important writer in the 90s. She was involved with a few episodes in Tokosou Janperson then she became majorly involved with the hit series Denji Sentai Megaranger. She was also the head writer of Seijuu Sentai Gingaman and Mirai Sentai Timeranger (which probably tends to get overshadowed by her later works) while she wrote some decent episodes for Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive. She also became the writer of the hit series Samurai Sentai Shinkenger and I'm a Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters fan. Though like Inoue, Kobayashi's finales really are weak. Then she became Ressha Sentai ToQGer's head writer. ToQGer did win an award on Railroad Day though that doesn't change facts that Kobayashi's ideas aren't as fresh anymore. 
  • Junki Takegami would be the known guy to have handled Megaranger, GoGoFive, and Hyajakuu Sentai Gaoranger as a head writer. However, you can't deny Engine Sentai Go-Onger isn't really a good season when you've seen other seasons. I don't hate Go-Onger but it does get overshadowed by Super Sentai seasons before and after it.

Writer's burnout is really no joke. Right now, I'll just assume that Arakawa may no longer be in tip-top condition to be a head writer. But it's too early to say it. I still need to watch it before I can evaluate it!

Just me rambling my personal thoughts as of right now! 

Comments