Are You Willing To Watch Goranger And JAKQ?


Watching old school Super Sentai can be a challenge. That's why I even want to advise now that if an old school Super Sentai doesn't match your taste - you might as well drop it. Then again watch it before you drop it - that is try to at least see a few episodes. I think the two seasons that might be a challenge to watch are Himitsu Sentai Goranger and Dengekitai JAKQ. For what reasons? They are 1970s Super Sentai and it's already 2020. Goranger has turned 45 years old and I wonder how many are willing to watch it?

What's with Goranger? Goranger shares the same problem with the first season of Gatchaman and the first Kamen Rider. Gatchaman and Goranger are very long series. Interestingly, Isao Sasaki sang for both Goranger and Gatchaman. The first Kamen Rider had 98 episodes. Gatchaman had 105 episodes. Goranger is a little merciful because it's at least only 84 episodes. Thankfully, Gatchaman's follow-up sequels had much lesser episodes to count. I guess it's always the problem with franchise starters - they become very long due to the popularity of the shows. I think the problem that gets around too long without changing much is that there's hardly any progress. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers also became such a hit that it went for 155 episodes. I'd say these shows tend to slow down development because of too many episodes. When I watch Sentai - I usually expect it to last for a year. Goranger ran for two years which might make it hard for some to watch.

Two years after Goranger's success came the less successful JAKQ. JAKQ started with four and ended with five members. What was interesting was that Hiroshi Miyauchi nearly became a mascot with Big One but somehow declined. JAKQ's less successful run is evident with only 35 episodes. Some Showa era Kamen Riders also suffered the fate of low episode count with Kamen Rider Amazon with only 24 (well, Kamen Rider Decade did have 31 and got canceled in the middle of the year for a reason), Kamen Rider X had 35 episodes, and Kamen Rider Stronger had 39. JAKQ apparently didn't get the popularity Goranger enjoyed. Goranger probably only got canceled when ratings started to dwindle so they decided to end it. JAKQ didn't get enough ratings so it didn't even last a year. I heard the same thing happened to Metalder and Changerion which only lasted 39 episodes. JAKQ would really be rather rushed if you ask me.

Would you want to try watching both shows? In my case, I might give them a shot but other new school stuff is hindering me. I want to watch the first Kamen Rider but I'd be watching Kamen Rider Zero-One instead. Also, I've seen a good chunk of old school Super Sentai already to the point that I'd want newer ones later on. Since I've got no intention to be a completionist, there's real-life then maybe I'll just watch important episodes. Otherwise, trying to watch some old school series can be a daunting challenge depending on which shows you're talking about!

Comments

  1. No problem give me Goranger and JAKQ anyday vs 2012 - to present day.
    I don’t agree with most of the stuff, but i can live with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kinda like the series 2012+. Maybe Ryuusoulger less than others. So can Ya explain what is wrong with them? I just wonder.

      Delete
    2. I feel the concept of team work is lost and some are more important then others, but i’m not blind with the faults of older series like costumes ,special effects and so on.What i hope to explain is that writing ,actors ,unique locations ,music and motif makes a difference whether a series has a lasting appeal after 5–10 years.

      Delete
  2. Been there done there. I Started with Gokaiger, then Go-Busters, then Goseger and Shinkengers. After that I went chronologically, starting with Gorangers. I strongly reccomend old series. They are one of the best like Gorangers, Battle Fever, Liveman or Jetman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm interesting you started with Gokaiger? For me, some old series are good and others are bad. Some do age badly and some don't. For me, anything before Hirohisa Soda isn't as good but I need to cut some slack. My preferences between old and new is always a mixed bag.

      Delete
    2. It was simple. When I was a kid I was watching Power Rangers. Later, I wanted to catch up but failed during Turbo. It was the moment then i found Linkara's History of Power Rangers. In the Power Rangers Dino Thunder he mentioned that at 35th Anniversary Japanese made a movie with all (we already know that almost) know Super Sentai. I watched that movie twice back then and I felt in love with Gokaiger so I devoured everything connected to them: that is why I next watched Go-Busters, so I can watch the team up movie. That was the moment I fell in love with Super Sentai. So I started backtracking. When I watched Shinkeger/Go-Onger team up I realized that I am spoiling myself previous series with that, so I defeated my fear of old series being bad because of being old and hard to watch due to speciall effects. I was wrong. If we consider old series the one up to Jetman, then I did not liked Denjiman and Bioman. The rest are at least good. You can visit my blog too, so you can catch up. Although almost all entries are in Polish, but hey, Google translate can give ya et least a glipmse! Search me, if you want.

      Delete

Post a Comment