Was Flashman Really More Popular Than Maskman In Japan?

 

I remembered years ago - there was the rumor that Power Rangers Lost Galaxy was supposedly more popular than Seijuu Sentai Gingaman in Japan. Turns out that according to Sentai Bandicoot (back when he was the Fantasy Leader) - it's a big lie made by stuck-up Power Rangers fans on Rangerboard. The idea then later inspired me to write this iffy post. Hmmm... while it's best to dismiss the claim that Lost Galaxy was more popular than Gingaman but was Choshinsei Flashman truly more popular than Hikari Sentai Maskman?

So far, I don't have any real data to prove it. I'm just left to speculation. So far, I've seen Maskman first (as a child) and Flashman only as an ADULT. So, almost every source I hear is from the Internet. I mean, I even had to watch Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger in order to figure out who the legends behind Super Sentai such as Kazuo Niibori! I heard from Thems Fightin' Words that Maskman is probably one of the most underrated or as some said, it wasn't exactly easily received. I heard Maskman was popular with the older fans (hence probably why it was vindicated later and it was popular in the Philippines and Brazil) but didn't immediately get the children's attention. So, it's pretty much how Mirai Sentai Timeranger gets considered as Yasuko Kobayashi's Magnum Opus (some may say Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters) though it seems obvious Samurai Sentai Shinkenger has more fans. 

So what's with Maskman? As a child, it didn't immediately pick up on me except for the martial arts and the fact that Takeru/Red Mask (dubbed as Michael Joe) was my first favorite red ranger ever. The serious tone of the series with the nightmare fuel was something. Granted, I was also watching Kamen Rider Black though I seldom had nightmares (such as that HAUNTED HOUSE EPISODE). I still enjoyed them with the seriousness they had. For some children, it felt that themes like the first-ever Super Sentai with a love story mixed together with serious elements weren't that easy to take. Like Timeranger, Maskman was probably beloved by older fans as a classic but young children may have not immediately liked it. Maskman had a lot of dramatic moments - another seed that led to the formation of Chojin Sentai Jetman when Chikyu Sentai Fiveman nearly killed Super Sentai.

On the other hand, I feel Flashman would've been praised by both older and younger fans alike during its time in Japan. Dengeki Sentai Changeman combined both military and space themes. Flashman nearly went full space theme. The popularity of the series probably brought in both older and younger fans better than Maskman (which was probably too ambitious for its own good), I think it has better camerawork, cooler mecha (Galaxy Robo has a funny design, tit guns), and probably not so much to think about. I think Flashman managed to be serious enough without estranging older fans while not so serious as to attract the younger fans. Adding Professor Tokimura as a relevant comic relief (in some episodes) may have helped in that balance too.  

Though, I'd say it's still best to check out both shows and decide which show you end up liking better. Maybe, just maybe, Flashman was truly more popular than Japan during the 80s. Lost Galaxy's "popularity" in Japan has long been shot down to be just a big lie made by a member in Rangerboard. Though, what if somebody was saying, "Are you kidding? Flashman was more popular than Maskman in Japan!" then maybe it's not even a rumor. Maybe, it's the real truth that Flashman is indeed more popular than Maskman in Japan. But I'd say that one thing is certain - I dropped Lost Galaxy after watching more of Flashman!

Comments