My Thoughts On The Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger Initial Reveal


Well, here's a Christmas Gift that came and Toei Ltd. has revealed King-Ohger. Okay, I usually rant about an upcoming series when there's a cast reveal already. In my case, I'm just getting a Killer Bored so I'd like to rant on this initial update but no cast yet. I got the news from UkiyaSeed and this is what I've got. Be careful as I'm about to make some crazy rants yet again. Here's the update that I'd like to share in this blog and give my reaction to:

As previously reported, this series will feature an all insect motif, a first in the Super Sentai Series, but that's not all, all heroes are kings in this series! These five heroes are leaders of their respective countries, and they are:

  • Kuwaga Ohger - the red stag, and a self-proclaimed king of the "strongest country where protector gods dwell", Shugoddam.
  • Tonbo Ohger - the blue dragonfly, and the sovereign of the "country of technology", Nkosopa.
  • Kamakiri Ohger - the yellow mantis, and the queen of the "country of arts and healthcare", Ishabaana
  • Papillon Ohger - the purple butterfly, and the sovereign of the "country of ice and snow" Gokkan
  • Hachi Ohger - the black bee, and the lord of the "country of agriculture" Toufu

These five transform using the Ohja Calibur, a sword that bears the proof that one is a ruler, and they share the transforming shield called Kings Weapon. These five kings fight the Earth Empire Bugnarock who attacked their people. 

In addition, each King-Ohger has their personal mecha called a Shugod, and they are: God Kuwagata, God Tonbo, God Kamakiri, God Papillon, and God Hachi. Along with God Tentou (x2), God Kumo (x2), and God Ant, they will combine to form the team's giant robo, KingOhger!

Lastly, the staff members for the series was also revealed. The series will be written by first time tokusatsu head writer Minato Takano (live-action Kakegurui, Kamen Rider Snipe: Episode ZERO), and will be directed by Kazuya Kamihoriuchi (Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger). The series will be produced by TV-Asahi's Takehiro Ookawa (Tokusou 9), Takahito Omori (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger, Kamen Rider Build), Takashi Mochizuki, Yousuke Minato, and Kouichi Yata. Lastly, Jun Watanabe (Kamen Rider Saber, Kamen Rider Revice) will serve as the show's action director, and Hiroshi Butsuda will once again serve as tokusatsu supervisor. 

I'm somehow glad that Toei Ltd. is starting to take Super Sentai into a more "unorthodox direction". I had issues with how Super Sentai started to sour up for me after Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. Some fans of the series may have already left it for other new stuff. Heck, I even planned to leave it for other stuff. Instead, I've just pushed down Super Sentai to lower depths in my list. The idea of using insects had NOT been heard of yet. Insects were usually used in Kamen Rider but now it's FINALLY used in Super Sentai. I was even afraid we'd get a fifth dinosaur Super Sentai because 2023 is the anniversary of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.

The idea that each ranger is a king or noble of their own tribes is something new. That quickly reminds me of Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. However, it's insect-themed and NOT dinosaur-themed (THANKFULLY). I do still have the feeling that Toei Ltd. has been creating "unofficial sequels" for Haim Saban. Didn't Saban sell Power Rangers to Hasbro? I felt like Kamen Rider Decade became the unofficial sequel of Saban's Mashed Rider. I felt like Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters became the unofficial sequel for the Disney-era Power Rangers RPM. Will King-Ohger become a better unofficial sequel to Knights of Tir Na Nog (which Saban tried to ride on the hype of Hercules and Xena) over the overly bland Kishinryu Sentai Ryusoulger? I'd say Kamen Rider Saber was pretty much an unofficial sequel of Tir Na Nog even after Hasbro signed the contract with Toei. 

I guess it's time for new blood again. I had my concerns whenever older writers get overused. I think Avatar Sentai Donbrothers is more interesting than Kikou Sentai Zenkaiger. However, I think Toshiki Inoue has lost much of what I enjoyed with his previous works. I remembered panicking thinking that Yasuko Kobayashi and Inoue could become the major writers for Kamen Rider Zi-O. Kobayashi was also burnt out during Ressha Sentai ToQGer. I may have liked Kamen Rider Kiva but I'm not going to deny it's more of a guilty pleasure than a masterpiece. This time, we have Minato Takano. Though, I hope Takano gets some pointers from older writers like Inoue and Kobayashi.

My main concern (AGAIN) is that Kamihoriuchi is the director for Ryusoulger. Right now, I evem say rewatching Ryuosulger is just as difficult as me rewatching Power Rangers Beast Morphers. I feel both shows are just MEH to my taste. I hope Oomori will do better than he did with Kyoryuger. Granted, Oomori was producer to two of my favorite Kamen Rider shows namely Kamen Rider Drive and Kamen Rider Build. Fortunately, Watanabe served as action direct for Kamen Rider Saber so I can be cool with it. However, the show should avoid rushing toy sales like Saber did early on. Saber can be fun but it's not exactly a masterpiece but just another guilty pleasure.

The name Bugnarok is really a big pun on bug ang Ragnarok. I'm wondering what kind of insectoid foes we will get? Speaking of insectoid, it's very easy to think B-Fighter's Gaohm. I could think of the Zorors from Choshinsei Flashman. Power Rangers Lost Galaxy also had Scorpius, Trakeena, and the Stingwingers. Hmmm... I wonder what kind of weird mix we will get if ever?

Also, these are additional details from UkiyaSeed which also got into me:

The King-Ohgers are the five kings from a planet called Chikyuu, in which there are only five continents and five kingdoms, which they govern and protect their respective kingdoms. The team itself was founded at least 2,000 years ago, and the role is being passed down in every generation, and each of them wield the Ouja Caliber, and they share a transforming shield weapon called Kings Weapon. Their enemies, the Earth Empire Bugnarock is also around the same time as well. 

This would look like it's an alternate Earth (Chikyu means Earth) LIKE. ALMOST. EVERY SENTAI. So, it seems that something happened to the Earth leading it to only have five continents instead of seven continents. In real life, we have Asia, Africa, Antarctica, North America, South America, Europe, and Australia. CHances are North America and South America got annexed. Maybe, also Europe and Australia. But who then rules Antarctica when it's practically mostly snow? The blue ranger? I'm already feeling myself growing old into my late 30s. Feeling old? Well, just think of how old the cast from your childhood are. The Gorangers are now grandparent figures too.  

The show is still destined to air in March 5, 2023. It seems that Donbrothers may have not yet wrapped up its filming in spite of this leak. 

Comments

  1. Did you hear that Rider stopped airing in Singapore after Wizard. And if you want to licence Sentai in other countries, then good luck, cause they are expensive. And Russians aired Sailor Strippers season of Sailor Moon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment