King-Ohger Might Be A Celebratory Show After All

 

There's no doubt that I dislike Power Rangers. However, I still feel Saban Entertainment did have other stuff I could enjoy. Heck, Toei Ltd. was also responsible for some really bad entries in some of their genres too. The recent Super Mario Bros. movie reminds me that Saban Entertainment was also involved in the Super Mario Bros. Super Show. In 1998, Saban Entertainment did also try to ride on the Sword and Sorcery genre with Knights of Tir Na Nog. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers turns 30 on August 28 this year. We also have those who would turn 25 this May 7, 2023. Though, I still pretend that Kamen Rider Saber is a sequel of sorts to Knights of Tir Na Nog.

What made me feel references to Mighty Morphin' got into it

I can't deny that I found the suits in that failed Power Rangers (2017) movie well, ugly. It was also that night when Toei executives attended the event. A long partnership between Haim Saban and Toei Ltd. can't be denied. I may not like Power Rangers but I recognize that Toei Ltd. is ultimately responsible for its existence. 2017 would be the 25th anniversary of Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and 2018 for Mighty Morphin'. I don't think it's a coincidence that both Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger and Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger happen on the 10th and 20th anniversaries of Mighty Morphin'.

The designs of the suits of the King-Ohgers almost feel like a revamped (and improvised version) from the failed movie. I didn't want to mention it because of my blatant dislike for Power Rangers. I didn't want to mention it because these suits feel more armored than the standard spandex suits. I guess the redesigns by Lionsgate weren't all that ready to be received. 

I think my favorite possible reference is Rita Kanisuka. Sure, the name's more likely from the Blue Admiral Butterfly namely Ruritateha, and from the scientific name Kaniska Canace. However, I don't think that Rita herself was simply just named because of the Ruritateha and Kaniska. Instead, her being the ruler of the ice country of Gokkan and being named Rita is something. Heck, Rita tends to shout like Rita Repulsa (at times). I still think naming her RITA isn't a coincidence. I think that Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters using "It's Morphin' Time" and the term Megazords (for all mechas) can't be a mere coincidence. I guess the same goes for Rita Kanisuka getting named Rita on Mighty Morphin's 30th anniversary.

1993 was considered a daring direction for Toei. Allowing Saban Entertainment to create a show based on their show was no different. They did allow World Events Productions to localize both Hyajakuu Golion and Kikou Dairugger XV into Lion Voltron and Vehicle Voltron. Take note that both source materials are SELF-CONTAINED. Earth was destroyed in 1999 and Dairugger XV takes place in 2200 A.D. where Earth still exists. Toei Ltd. would've made money from Saban's gamble.

And why it seems that Knights of Tir Na Nog was also in their mind

Okay, the King-Ohgers are KINGS (and one prince, with Gira in mind). We do have King Racules who's pretty much Tyrant Takes the Helm and a third wheel in the conflict. The idea of having two antagonist factions clashing with each other is very similar to Tokosou Sentai Janperson - a series celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. It may also remind some of Gougou Sentai Boukenger which had several enemy factions competing for power. 


I guess not so many may know of Knights of Tir Na Nog from the new generation. I wonder how true it was that budget for a second season was soon transferred to Power Rangers Lost Galaxy's production budget. I heard the show was supposed to try and get into the hype of other shows like Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess - both shows that began in 1995 and ran for several seasons. Was Saban Entertainment aiming to let Knights of Tir Na Nog have that format? 1998 was also the year of Power Rangers in Space. I heard ratings started to slip and it seemed to be the end of Power Rangers. However, Space did save the franchise so I guess Toei decided to start a new contract with Saban Entertainment for that reason. Hence, Toei allowed Power Rangers to continue to exist for that reason and profit from royalty fees. Yeah, the GREEED might be the reason why both get along very well!


The setting of Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog obviously doesn't have Power Rangers in mind. It's a very different Earth and most of the kingdoms are obviously non-existent. King-Ohger took a stretch with the creation of five kingdoms namely Toufu, N'Kosopa, Shuggodom, Gokkan, and Ishibana. In this case, it's pretty much an Alternate Earth as well. It's like the fictional worlds in several fantasy genres. The concepts of King-Ohger aren't so original as nothing is too original these days. King-Ohger is the most blatantly self-contained series since Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger. Most series don't seem self-contained until you pay attention to very important but often overlooked details. It's because most Super Sentai entries usually take place in the Modern Japan of that year.

________

It might seem farfetched but I'm free to speculate. Some may say that it's just a coincidence. Though, Toei had a long partnership with Saban Entertainment so it doesn't seem to be just a coincidence. 

Comments