King-Ohger 35: Don't Cry, Slack-Jawed Tanuki


This week's episode can be a real tearjerker with some classic flashbacks. Is it me or is King-Ohger trying to invoke as many narrative tools in both Western and Asian shows? I could keep mentioning how Super Sentai became more kiddie (and hey, IT'S A KIDDIE SHOW) since 2001. However, this episode does have some elements that may make ANY grown man cry. I may have not cried but I assume some people had their tissues!


Racules mentions how Chikyu is destined to be ruled by Dugdead Dujardin. Maybe, that's what Gira was suspecting. There was an incident where Racules could've killed Gira but didn't. I have a feeling that Suzume herself is also under Dugdead's control. Gira plans to strike down his older brother Racules but Jeramie stops him. Dugdead later shows up with Racules revealing his status as a puppet king. I have a feeling that Racules was under the influence of Dugdead - almost nearly the same way that Garza fell under the influence of Emperor Yodon. I feel that Racules was merely an accomplice to Gira's kidnapping. 


I guess King-Ohger refuses to spare us from typical superhero humor. Douga pretended to go after Gira but he was going to reveal something. Douga's family is kept hostage. With how funny Douga gets - maybe it's for the best that Daisuke Shima didn't get the part as much as I want it! Yanma gets beaten up. I feel heartless laughing at how Yanma looks since he could get admitted into the ICU IRL. We have Kaguragi who pretends to side with Dugdead. I'm amazed that Yanma still doesn't get Kaguragi!



They try to get the assistance of the female warriors. However, much has been going wrong. It's funny how Yanma would mention a shadier part of Shiokara's past. I wonder what in the world is Himeno thinking about not lending a hand? Rita does get her "mandatory headache" as well. N'Kosopa has become a junkyard under the rule of Hilbill. Okay, I feel like blaming the female warriors for not showing up since I feel they're the best bet to get rid of Hilbill!


Yanma coming off as a Genius Bruiser can either amaze me or baffle me. Granted, we've had Nagare from Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive who could still fight. Billy in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers might not be the strongest but he did learn to fight better. I think Yanma's being a combination of Shoji from Gosei Sentai Dairanger and Billy can be awkward. Hey, at least Nagare was probably more well-balanced as a Genius Bruiser. I think Yanma could've been introduced as a weaker character that got better. Nope, the series seems not to explore that area. Still, I'm glad he gets some character development here.


Kaguragi does some wrestling moves on Hilbil Leech. It's pretty much an out-of-suit stunt. It does get dangerous to attempt this out-of-suit but it happens. Kaguragi fools Hilbill and uses that wrestling move. I really laugh at how stupid and badass it can get. Fortunately, the Hilbill suit is nowhere near as bulky as the Canderilla suit. I even wonder if Power Rangers Dino Fury attempted a similar scene with Koda doing that to Poisandra. If so, maybe Toei decided to revisit it and did it but that's just a crazy speculation. Canderilla suit is too heavy and Hilbill may not be. I guess Yoshi Sudarso probably sent his "lost brother" footage of a deleted scene and we got this. 


The flashback shows more about who Yanma was. His pals were once counterfeiters working for a big-time crook. Tetsu Inada ends up getting an out-of-suit role after he voiced many monsters. Okay, I almost thought the thug here was "Santa Claus". I always thought the old man looked familiar. I almost wanted to joke that the attire was a reference to the late Richard Attenborough's role in Jurassic Park. Yeah, the movie that allowed Toei and Saban to get their vision of Power Rangers realized. Maybe, it's just a coincidence. Is this reference to Dr. John Hammond from the Jurassic Park movie? FYI, the character of Hammond was a VILLAIN in the original novel but Adaptational Heroism kicked in. Was Toei making the reference on purpose or not? 


What happens next is that Shiokara uses the lie detector. Yanma destroys the very computer that he created at Hilbill's command. I wonder if we should think of this as a Broken Aesop. Yes, heroes can commit the Broken Aesop too. Isn't the fate of N'Kosopa more important than Shiokara? It's a big villain victory for this episode. I wonder how in the world Kamejim and Gorma got kicked out of Gokkan and Ishabana? Are we going too fast here? 


The ending scene is quite a tearjerker. Like WUT Toei? I guess I got so used to the Lighter and Softer atmosphere of most post-Timeranger Super Sentai series. This scene is a complete wreck that I want to cry looking at it! Okay, so says the one who was once that closet Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters fan. Shiokara is crying. I do have a feeling that Yanma may have that cliche backup plan. What if Yanma is pulling the backup drive for all we know? That's just my assumption there because it's a very common trope in superhero shows. Super Sentai uses a lot of superhero trope cliches too. 


Okay, there's no Kiddie Show Sunday (which is my favorite term for Super Hero Time) next Sunday. Instead, it'll be the Sunday after next Sunday. I do feel there's a really bad plan going on. Who's actually trying to marry Himeno? I do want to believe that this is some typical scam marriage plot in superhero shows. I have a bad feeling about Himeno's suitor. 

Comments