GoGoFive's Possible Standing Among Power Rangers Fans Checking Out Super Sentai


March is Fire Prevention Month in some countries. Nothing gets into my head better than Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive. This year is also GoGoFive's 25th anniversary. Sure, I usually prefer to ignore Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue since it's best to compare to Chikyu Sentai Fiveman. I still find it amazing that the Fiveman DVD sales were successful despite this being WAY BETTER. I'll talk about where GoGoFive may stand among Power Rangers fans. Theoretically, anything after Mirai Sentai Timeranger is usually preferred for being Lighter and Softer. GoGoFive is anything but Lighter and Softer. 

There are still some Power Rangers fans who prefer Lightspeed Rescue over GoGoFive. I might has to do something with how a sibling superhero team may not be that appealing. How often has the sibling theme been done in Super Sentai? I think Power Rangers' charm has to do with an American team that represents multiracial unity. There are also some areas where Lightspeed Rescue actually did better IMHO. For example, Carter Grayson's calm personality may be more welcome than Matoi Tatsumi's Drill Sergeant Nasty personality. Meanwhile, Comparisons between Chad Lee and Nagare Tatsumi are rather apples and oranges. The idea of five different rescue workers meeting each other for the first time may be more appealing to Power Rangers fans.

GoGoFive operates with the family theme. Sure, the rescue theme is given to each and every ranger. However, GoGoFive's family theme tends to overshadow the rescue theme. For example, certain events in the siblings' career always return to family duty. Every episode focuses on the rangers as SIBLINGS. It's because of the family theme that I compare GoGoFive with Fiveman. The sibling theme tends to be the focus more than the rescue theme. That's why I ended up enjoying what I dub as the Rescue Police Quadrilogy from the now-defunct Metal Hero series.

Not to mention, there's also the impact of Tokosou Sentai Dekaranger when the fansubs were complete. I could remember some really tenser moments in GoGoFive than Dekaranger would've had. Dekaranger is pretty tame in contrast to what GoGoFive was allowed to do. I really said, "Man I miss these more intense moments!" I guess watching Dekaranger during its complete fansubs can alter the opinion of anyone. GoGoFive could be enjoyed but it's got too many scary moments. Today's Super Sentai lacks the 1980s to 1990s nightmare fuel. 


Maybe, I could also mention Ressha Sentai ToQGer as an additional factor. Sure, I disliked it during its initial run. There are times I feel the need to take a break. IMHO, I usually prefer the older Super Sentai due to how intense they can get. ToQGer is usually more balanced with fun and seriousness. Not too many intense moments and it had a Railroad Day award. Sure, Yasuko Kobayashi was burning out but no one can deny it still did something big for the Japanese audience. ToQGer has been focused on Lighter and Softer stuff. I think it's even a commentary on why Toei changed the tone for the franchise since 2001. 

I think GoGoFive pretty much stands in as an appreciated series. DVD sales were good and I'm amazed that Timeranger DVD sales were still successful. However, I think GoGoFive might be considered as a unique experience. It's simply not that appreciated because it belongs to the pre-2001 entries. It would still be honored but I think it's just placed in the middle. However, some reviewers like Kaiju No Kami give it a good review nonetheless. 

Comments