Kyoryuger VS. Go-Busters: A Really Huge Glorified Mess IMHO


Just thinking about Power Rangers Beast Morphers as of late has reminded me of two things good and bad about Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. I'm a fan of Go-Busters and I'm a fan of its crossover with Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. It was a nice way to acknowledge what could be another transition to another era of Super Sentai after Gokaiger ended. Then, after Go-Busters... well another season that I don't have a very positive view about namely Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. I decided to watch Kyoryuger at its own pace and Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger still has better storytelling IMHO. I still feel that while Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger does have the Kyoryuger vibes in it (that is, with Lucky) - I think it's NOWHERE near as annoying as Daigo Kiryu hogging everything. I mean, did Don Armage get defeated by Lucky alone in the finale, or did everyone jump in? Also, there are no crazy chimes in Kyuranger. It was only natural that Kyoryuger had a crossover with Go-Busters - though I wonder why Kyuranger didn't have a crossover with Doubotsu Sentai Zyuohger.

I know there are fans of this film but I don't want to keep riding ANY bandwagon even among Super Sentai fans. As a casual fan of the franchise, I wouldn't accept all Super Sentai as perfect or flawless. Rather, I'd always say that even the best Super Sentai still has flaws. Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters happens to be the classic case of when my favorite show gets crossed up with a show I dislike or don't really have a positive view about. It's pretty much like how Samurai Sentai Shinkenger gets teamed up with Engine Sentai Go-OngerKamen Rider Decade, and later Tensou Sentai Goseiger or how Kamen Rider Drive got teamed up with Shuriken Sentai Ninninger. Goseiger and Ninninger feel like they were only vindicated because Power Rangers was already heading towards a really massive nosedive since Power Rangers Samurai. Both Megaforce and Ninja Steel are really dumpster fires that made two really low-tier Super Sentai counterparts look like masterpieces!

Zyuranger and Abaranger reds Geki & Ryouga return
I think one of the biggest problems of the film has to be where why are we cramming in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger and Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger into the film? The film's title is NOT Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters vs. Abaranger vs. Zyuranger but just Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters! It sounds cool on paper for them to appear together but the execution is just messy. Okay, I do have my PERSONAL biases and I tend to only praise Zyuranger because I dislike Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers or that I tend to overpraise Abaranger because of Naruhisa Arakawa (fortunately, I dropped Power Rangers Dino Thunder early on). So what's with actually mixing them in? I find the whole scene actually POINTLESS even if it sounds cool on paper.

Also, watching all three dinosaur Super Sentai presents three different ways the dinosaurs died. The events in all three shows can't be reconciled into one timeline. Bandora's pact with Dai Satan destroyed the dinosaurs, Abaranger's meteor created a parallel Earth out of it, and the dangerous trio destroyed the dinosaurs in Kyoryuger. Confused? Don't be because most entries of the Super Sentai series are obviously meant to be standalone. I think it would've been better IF Kyoryuger and Go-Busters focused on themselves and not drag in more guests.

At this point, I'm reminded of how much I HATE the Super Hero Taisen film series especially the first movie. The film series feels like any messy fanfic (and I tried writing several Old Shames with too many characters to work with and FAILED miserably) I've written than something that a professional writer would come up with.

The ToQgers make their debut
I also feel like that the debut premiere of Ressha Sentai ToQGer can now be used to mock the film. Their crossover with Kyoryuger was WAY BETTER and had better-managed imagination to back it up. I've warmed up to the series after some time so maybe that's another reason why I'm further feeling that Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters is a glorified mess. It does make sense for ToQGer to make its cameo since it's going to be the new Super Sentai series for 2014. Actually, they are way more welcome to make a guest appearance than Zyuranger and Abaranger - two series that are decades behind. Gokaiger had every reason to bring in some old-schoolers because it's a tribute season but why did Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters even have to bring back two shows way back from the past? I felt it was just unnecessary fanservice IMHO.

Anyway, that's just my OPINION of why I really disliked this movie and wouldn't recommend it at a personal level. If you liked the movie and think it's cool then I'm okay with it. I'm just expressing my thoughts one way or another.

Comments

  1. I agree with you, but Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger Vs. LupinRanger Vs. PatRanger was way worse than that because of the lack of 3 other Dinosaur Sentai that should've been present last February of this year (2020), but it failed to materialize. The American counterpart of this, called "Grid Connection" (Power Rangers Beast Morphers Vs. Power Rangers Dino Charge/Dino Super Charge Vs. Power Rangers DinoThunder Vs. Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Season 1), will be released in the United States very soon, although it is now first shown in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Here is the link:

    http://ukiyaseed.weebly.com/ukiyaseeds-other-blog/power-rangers-beast-morphers-spoilers-dino-rangers-roar

    It's so weird that the Power Rangers Beast Morphers (2019-2020) came after Power Rangers Dino Charge (2015)/Power Rangers Dino Super Charge (2016) while its Japanese counterpart Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger (Beast Electric/Powered Squadron Dinosaur Rangers; 2013) came after Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (Special Operations Squadron Go-Busters/Five Busters; 2012). Strange, huh? In the future, review the Kishiryu Sentai Ryusoulger Vs. LupinRanger Vs. PatRanger Movie, alright?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I confess that I haven't seen Ryu vs. Lupat vs. Pat (whew). I was thinking about how this review is based on me ranting about how much I DISLIKE it and I can be very passionate about it.

      Delete

Post a Comment