My Thoughts On Zenkaiger In 22 Episodes

 

I decided to do some irregular-paced watching of Zenkaiger. Finally, we've hit good 22 episodes and I'm going to share my thoughts. Warning: There will be some spoilers ahead and some mish-mash of positive-negative opinions. Again, take note that just because I dislike Power Rangers that I'm going to say that Super Sentai is perfect. So, what are my thoughts on the series up to this point?

The heroes

For a start, this was basically the creation of an unorthodox, not typical Super Sentai team that would resemble the long-plugged out (but somehow, never forgotten) Metal Hero series. If anything, I think Metal Hero finally met its cancellation because of the revival of the Kamen Rider series in the 2000s. Any old-schooler who watches new school shows might immediately have a connection with the Metal Hero franchise. In my case, I've seen almost all the Metal Hero series but I'm yet to really watch Blue SWAT, B-Fighter, B-Fighter Kabuto, Kabutack, and Robotack. Robotack became the final nail in the coffin probably due to how bad it was perceived to be. Though, it seems the real reason was because the Kamen Rider franchise became the new Metal Hero series or that the concepts were weld together during the Heisei Era.

For a start, Kaito Goshikara/Zenkaiser (the main hero) feels like a combination of Big One from JAKQ, a Metal Hero, and a Kamen Rider. He has four unorthodox allies who are all Kikainoids. The main hero and his allies may give any old-schooler the feel of, "It's like Metal Hero!" I remembered watching Winspector where the main hero, Ryoma Kagawa/Fire, has two robot allies namely Biker and Walter to help him in his rescue missions. The idea of the four other Kikainoids (Zyuon, Gaon, Magine, and Vroom) upgrading themselves can be taken from Kabutack and Robotack - ironically which may be considered worst for last of the Metal Hero. They're not just tributes to old mecha but they too ARE the mecha. I find the battle designs fun but their combination modes aren't cool IMHO. 


I think there's a bit of a problem with the introduction with the newer heroes. I could understand if Takamichi got introduced in the 14th episode of Kiramager because the Legacy Virus (hopefully vaccinations will be finished soon) caused the hiatus. Thankfully, it's NOT a stupid summer break like what the Power Rangers franchise is doing - even a BETTER reason for me to give up on the franchise while Toei counts the money from royalties! I think the introduction of Zox and Flint in the NINTH episode feels awkward. Couldn't Toei actually wait a little longer before introducing them? I feel that they're just trying to sell toys as much as possible. Then again, what if they were fearing that the Legacy Virus could cause another hiatus? I can't say. But I'd say Zox or Two Kaiser is actually a pretty cool guy who brings forth better Bandai merchandise. Zox introduces cooler-looking toys which contrast to what the show initially offered.

The villains


Now, it's time to look at the villains too. So far, I was thinking was the return of Joji Nakata to voice Bokowaus just meant to be fan-service? I felt that Nakata was far better used in Kamen Rider Gaim as a voice actor. In Zyuohger, I also felt he was wasted as Azald. I wonder how he'd fare doing the Big Bad again? I'm reminded of Gaohm's rather eerie form in B-Fighter Kabuto which only had one arm and an exposed heart - though it was just an illusion in reality. Bokowaus also reminds me of Horde Prime with his running gag. I thin I'm feeling sorry for both Iijurude and Barashita to get into the running gag of flying into the air when their boss is angry. Gege seems to be the only friend that Bokowaus truly has.

The modus operandi has been trapping various continuities - some of them include Super Sentai. What happens is that the monsters of the week get their powers from these various dimensions and hatch the typical stupid plan for world domination. They do have some entertainment value though. Though, I do feel that I can't help but feel nervous about the Super Sentai worlds that were trapped by Tojitendo. They're moving into the Zenkaiger continuity and they're aiming to capture it. The result is a merged world between Kikaitopia and the Zenkaiger continuity.


I think another issue I have towards the show is how Stacey/Stacaesar is again too early. Is it again trying to sell more merchandise as fast as possible? I can't really be sure. I feel like the guy is just there to be there. Sure, he does serve as a threat but the pacing is rather important too. For example, most game-changing villains usually appear midseason. Though, Yamimaru in Turboranger did show up in 14th episode of the said show.  Here, he appears immediately in the sixth episode. I'm really thinking about how this might not be a good move either if he's supposed to be a game-changing villain. and half-human, half-Kikanoid son of Barashita. How is that possible? Possibly, the Kikainoids are like the Carbons in the Megaman Legends series (or Rockman DASH in Japan) where they have both biological and mechanical properties. I feel he just doesn't offer anything much like Basco did in Gokaiger - a villain that we love to hate because of how good he's implemented.

Closing thoughts

For me, I guess it's because Zenkaiger may never have the same hype as Gokaiger. Maybe, I'm thankful that Gokaiger will get a 10 Years After movie after all. Though, I was glad some series didn't get a return movie since I felt Dekaranger Ten Years After practically jumped the shark when Jasmine marrying the child she rescued from 10 years ago! I really just felt that the reunion movies can be unnecessary but maybe not for Gokaiger

I can't really decide what's going on with me. Am I having Super Sentai taste fatigue (big possibility) or are Netflix and other digital platforms offering other better new stuff to enjoy? The digital age can open a huge window of opportunities which I'm willing to take. Is something new not getting to you? What if something new is also good? Is there something old school you haven't watched but want to check out right now? That's a lot of stuff going in my head. It's like temporarily not watching the latest Super Sentai and watching more of the Super Sentai that I haven't watched. So far, I don't find myself enjoying it as much and I might take a month off from Zenkaiger to enjoy other new stuff. 

Comments