My Thoughts On Kaiju No Kami's Super Sentai Reviews

I must admit that I've met various CLASHING opinions regarding Super Sentai. I've had some series that I enjoyed while others didn't. I feel Shogo B'Stard can be too negative with the newer Super Sentai. I think Sentai Bandicoot's opinions on Gougou Sentai Boukenger don't match up with mine. Sure, I don't think that Boukenger is that great anymore. However, I feel the series is still worth the watch for all its crazy antics. Right now, I even agree with some people that Engine Sentai Go-Onger is a mess after I watched Carranger. Carranger may have not normalized ratings but it did gain some following that a rumor it saved Super Sentai happened. I didn't want to write about Kaiju No Kami's Super Sentai reviews until he did his Turboranger review where the thumbnail REALLY showed he absolutely disliked the show. I'm a guy who thinks Turboranger is decent while Kaiju No Kami says otherwise. Kaiju No Kami gave a good score to Carranger and a low score to Turboranger. Wait, has Carranger been so vindicated even after its lower ratings during its year that it ran over not just one but two shows with a Turbo in it? Power Rangers Turbo gets berated. Turboranger is also getting berated. Kaiju No Kami also gave Ressha Sentai ToQGer a higher score though I've simply given it now a 3/5 since it's not bad Yasuko Kobayashi was burnt out like Hirohisa Soda was with Chikyu Sentai Fiveman.

I like the way Kaiju No Kami actually displays his humor. I think why I wanted to write about this is the hilarity in his videos when he did his obviously negative well-thought-of review of Turboranger. The Boma generals can be considered the "poor personifications of wickedness" and Emperor Ragorn doesn't have much of a backstory either. Emperor Exhaus in Carranger only appeared in the later half but the guy was the one who manipulated the Bowzocks (who I think are way more interesting than the Boma generals) to do their destructive rampage. Emperor Exhaus even participates in the plans to crush the Carrangers. It's very much different with Ragorn who just barked orders and only started to get serious later in the series. Again, Kaiju No Kami mentions that Hirohisa Soda was already burning out to further explain the flaws he saw in Turboranger.

Kaiju No Kami also did the assessment with the Hirohisa Soda series. So far, he didn't give all of them that high of a score. Kaiju No Kami usually says that 3/5 stars mean the show is worth checking out but don't expect much. He mentioned Hikari Sentai Maskman had unmet potential but gave way to Gosei Sentai Dairanger and Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger. I just love how he did his Kagaku Sentai Dynaman review though I find it weird he gave it a 4/5 stars since he did mention how past Super Sentai series didn't give much development for some time. I mean we don't really know much about the Dynamen's past that much either. Though, I think I disagree with his scoring of Chojuu Sentai Liveman on the same level as Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger. I still feel Liveman is one of Soda's best masterpieces before he would start to REALLY GO DOWN with Turboranger

So far, Kaiju No Kami has reviewed almost every Super Sentai series before Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. What I want to see is more of his reviews with post-Gokaiger series such as Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters (which I'll just expect to disagree with him) after he was done with ToQGer. I don't care if our views will disagree. I just want to see more of his reviews. It was also fun seeing him review other Tokusatsu series and give a piece of his mind on them. His Kamen Rider reviews made me think that I might need to watch more of the Showa era which I didn't like most of them. His review on the Ultraman series by Tsubaraya may make me want to check out the franchise again though I'm losing interest with Toku in general. I'm still looking forward to him doing his reviews whenever he can for the sake of his viewers.  

Comments

  1. Although Kaiju did give Timeranger a 4 out of 5 in his review, but now he ranks it 5 Grown Ups In Spandex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been better Mami Watanabe should have been headwriter of Turboranger, made Haruna a leader and Youhei SIC in the group, I wanted to hate Maskman and prefer Dairanger and Gekiranger instead but when I rewatched it, I kinda like it now, Liveman is definitely a masterpiece but it fucked up in the finale arc, Soda overworking his idea in the three main villains, I honestly never cared of redemption of Mazenda and Omura but Kemp didn't deserve the redemption at all that dude should have been killed by the main Liveman trio, I do like Hurricanger but I just can't stand Shun Shioya's acting and I'm so glad the Gouraigers redeemed and I'm not interested at Shurikenger at all
    Ngl, I'm not interested both of PR and SS Turbo (although Turboranger is the first Sentai show I've been watched since around late 90s and early 2000s in local Ph tv) When I saw Jetman (the second one, actually) and the first Sentai show that I finished (Fiveman was the second) I fell in love with Jet, it has great nostalgic value, this is the only show that Ph has a great job when it aired it on local tv, don't get me wrong I like Maskman but I'm not fond of Bioman that much neither Fiveman

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment