Somehow, I Can't Help But Bring Up "Beast Morphers" While Watching "Donbrothers"


I gave an assessment of Power Rangers Beast Morphers with a positive and negative. I guess I don't really hate the franchise even if I could shout out loud that I still dislike it for PERSONAL REASONS. Right now, I'd rather say I blame Toei Ltd. as to why Super Sentai was overshadowed for some time in the Western fanbase or why Power Rangers shows on Philippine TV instead of Super Sentai. It was Toei Ltd. who gave Saban Entertainment the rights in the first place! I guess Kamen Rider has been cheaper to air huh? Then again I guess Kamen Rider is more lucrative to Philippine TV which is why the networks choose it. Right now, I'm watching Avatar Sentai Donbrothers but at a very irregular pace especially with how the digital age creates massive distractions. Though, I didn't give high hopes for either Beast Morphers or Donbrothers. Honestly, Kikou Sentai Zenkaiger just doesn't meet my expectations implementation-wise. I was expecting some cool new stuff but I guess the writing can't be as creative. I still feel Junko Komura's been better writing non-anniversary seasons!

I was expecting Donbrothers to try and disconnect from Zenkaiger. Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters tried to disconnect from Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger series-wise. That's why I felt the crossover episodes with Ucchu Keiji Gavan just felt out of place. The crossover between Go-Busters and Gokaiger had some elements that just felt out of place for both series. I will always mention how I HATE that bloated crossover between Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and Go-Busters. At least, it's nowhere near as bloated as my old shame that I wrote and wrote without giving care or a second thought! I guess the Super Hero Taisen film series will always remind me of my bad fanfic. Though, what I find amusing is that professionals are the ones screwing up instead of me the nobody who just writes for fun and not a living! I wrote my fics ALONE with NO SUPERVISION. The only "supervision" I get is when criticism is thrown AFTER a chapter is published. 

Two female yellow rangers who show how menial workers can be everyday heroines too


Instead, Donbrothers brings in Kaito from the previous season. Heck, Kaito even runs the Cafe Donbura where Haruka works as a waitress. I was expecting Donbrothers to try and disconnect from Zenkaiger at all costs. Instead, the rangers are using avatar forms of previous teams. Honestly, what's the point with Kaito running a cafe? It reminds me of why Kamen Rider Black RX as a direct sequel to Kamen Rider Black wasn't such a good idea. Though, we have a different set of protagonists at this point. Kaito has become a background character like how Ryoma Kagawa was hardly there during Tokkei Solbrain since a new team was formed after Winspector went to France. Tokosou Exceedraft made the connection, even more, lose by making Captain Masaki just a guest in the final episode. I can't say if it's such a good idea but it seems that Donbrothers is trying to link to all 45 Super Sentai rather than do what most series did - to be STANDALONE.


Haruka's role as a working student in a cafe reminds me of Zoey's role in Beast Morphers. Zoey is a menial worker in Grid Battleforce who gets to wear yellow spandex before Haruka does. Beast Morphers' approach where it links to all previous series was anything but surprising. That's Power Rangers for you such as when the beginning of Power Rangers Dino Thunder had a crossover with Power Rangers Ninja Storm. The crossover episodes happen IN-SERIES than in a special non-canon crossover. A close analysis of the Super Sentai VS. Films will tell you they can't fit in. Besides, certain Super Sentai seasons have a contradicting account of how dinosaurs went extinct. Beast Morphers even went as far as to make Morph-X connected to the Morphin' Grid - something that Super Sentai hasn't done. Enetron in Go-Busters is not at all linked to some magnificent morphing power in the Universe that would manifest itself in different forms of energy. Instead, Go-Busters was really disconnected to all 35 seasons except when a crossover came to place. When it did, I felt it was a BLOATED MESS. 

I feel the need to do some real-life comparisons. Zoey's actress Jacqueline Scislowski is a 2000s baby who turned 18 last 2018. Haruka's actress Kohaku Shida is turning 18 this month. Both seem to show signs of still getting the hang of acting. I guess Super Sentai and Power Rangers these days prefer younger cast members for the main cast most of the time. Just think how some big stays started off with Super Sentai like how Tori Matsuzaka wore spandex before becoming a J-Drama regular. Some cast had acting experience prior to acting such as how Rin Takanashi had a role in a movie before Shinkenger and how Amy Jo Johnson had acting experience in the theater. I guess both got some basic martial arts lessons and still getting them when need be. 

An energy source that links both Beast Morphers and Donbrothers to all their predecessors?

Is the power to use previous Super Sentai forms in Donbrothers and Gokaiger now linked to some mysterious Morphin' Grid? Did Zenkaiger even bring it forth? It's almost like somewhere, somehow, Toei Ltd. might be trying to create a secret grid that runs as a Morphin' Grid for Super Sentai for anniversary and crossover use. The energy might manifest itself in different forms such as the Bio Particles, Earth Force, Flash Power, Aura Power, Fairy Power, Birdonic Waves, Gaiatron, Chi Energy, etc. The idea may sound cool but it's somehow not feasible for all the series.

The Morphin' Grid wasn't mentioned all the time in Power Rangers. It was mentioned in Mighty Morphin' hence the name. The concept was later brought back in Dino Thunder which was only in a DVD extra and was probably considered non-canon. Power Rangers Operation Overdrive had Alpha Six mention it. Besides, one may notice that later Power Rangers seasons such as Power Rangers Lightspeed Rescue are most likely operating separately from the concept. True, Trakeena did appear (acted by another actress) but the powers of almost every Power Rangers season are independent of this Morphin' Grid concept. Why in the world did Beast Morphers do this?

I still feel I want to ask why in the world is Donbrothers seemingly has such a concept? The rangers are able to manifest the powers of the previous seasons (again) - something I wish stayed with Gokaiger or should've remained in Hikonin Sentai Akibaranger. I find it no different than how the Beast Morpher Rangers are accessing previous weapons from previous Power Rangers. I feel the whole thing can get overhyped one way or another. If it does, I hope that Toei Ltd. can come up with a good explanation for it. 

Comments

  1. Do thoughts on PR and Hasbro, and how they hate Sentai (i.e. blocked DVDs from Shout), their toys, shows, and marketing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if you've ever seen Kaiju No Kami's angry rant against Hasbro? I might need to watch more similar videos before I can do it. So I can't always answer to requests since this is just a hobby.

      Delete
    2. I reccomend you to watch Kotetsu Toy Reviews https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6TNFOfOIQPdFGBaPHaBIIg

      Delete

Post a Comment