Remembering Older Super Sentai's Use Of Now-Obsolete Technology To Fight Villains


Granted, 2022 would be Denji Sentai Megaranger's silver anniversary. Megaranger may be more mega than that idiotic Power Rangers Megaforce while I believe that not all people will be able to relate to it. I still believe that there's that HUGE GENERATION GAP between older and newer Super Sentai entries. I decided to do some random rant for #ThrowbackThursdays recalling the 1980s to 1990s - the era I was born in and the era of my childhood. Oh yes, those moments when I remembered going to the arcade (which I don't miss ever since the dawn of the Playstation consoles), how I actually fought with my parents every time I had to miss an episode of my favorite shows (such as Conan the Adventurer which I feel is an Old Shame now), how having a personal computer (and I was stuck with an obsolete model for too long, my parents NEVER understood the benefit of a higher model probably due to their generation) was a "luxury", and how that ANNOYING dial-up Internet meant I can't use the phone.

Now, I'd like to remember this trope that could be easily fit in the 1990s superhero shows...


Yup, remember this luxury of a gadget that EASILY BROKE DOWN? Working on my high school project with a diskette was SO ANNOYING. Fortunately, college already became the dawn of the USB which made storage even better and more reliable. Those diskettes broke so easily. Yet, the common running gag in many superhero shows (which Super Sentai derives a lot of inspiration from) was the use of the floppy disk as a plot device. Homeworks were put in floppy diskettes before CDs became accessible with the burner. If one's grades could be determined by a floppy disk - you can think how heroes and villains had data that could affect the world. G.I. Joe in the 1980s was one good example such as how G.I. Joe and COBRA had floppy disks containing important information. Yet, these devices weren't so reliable in the long run as you had to keep DISCARDING them when they wore out.

I could think about every technology I'm glad is gone used in older Super Sentai. After all, it's all wuith the times. I could remember how those HIDEOUS bulky monitors are a real pain in contrast to the LCD flat screen replacements they have today. I could remember the episode in Choshinsei Flashman when Sarah used a floppy disk to download important information. One could remember the use of those old-fashioned PCs when something was being encoded. I could remember how MS-DOS and some old programming language (such as Turbo Pascal) was used in the weapons design. I could remember how Hikari Sentai Maskman and Chojin Sentai Jetman used it. Watching Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive as an ADULT took me back to those times. Nagare having a floppy disk and the Y2K scare was also there. 1999 also had that planetary alignment event which played itself beautifully into the series. The final episode (taking place early 2000) was a doomsday-scenario when Grandiene was truly the negative energy of the Universe. It was fun watching how old school PCs played a role in the finale.

I was also reminded of the finale arc of Tokkei Winspector. The series premiered in 1991 but, for some reason, was set in 1999. Choriki Sentai Ohranger was given the same treatment that it took place in 1999 while the series premiered in 1995. I think Ohranger's setting has been retconned from 1999 to 1995 (which probably happened after Mirai Sentai Timeranger ended) even if most Super Sentai series are independent of each other. Winspector had a floppy disk containing confidential data of the crime syndicates. Granted, floppy disks were used a lot in office work during that time. Though, one had to make sure they handled it with care or had a BACK-UP copy (though we always needed it) because of how sensitive these devices were.

Though, as the 1990s ended, new technology was constantly getting introduced. From the huge floppy disk to the 3.5 floppy disk. However, I'm glad that both are gone because of how fragile they were. The 2000s came and USB technology was becoming the thing. Maybe, one can observe how the bulky PC monitors (which had HIGH radiation) were replaced by the LCD monitors which had lower radiation. The facilities in newer Super Sentai all simply accommodated the times with the newer technology of that era. Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters did manage to lessen the mecha load WHILE using the best of the digital age.  

I guess not too many will understand the struggles of past heroes. I guess I'll never understand of the 1970s to the 1980s either. The digital age may have shocked the older generation. I still can't get over how my elders have a hard time understanding smartphones. Yet, we must always view those obsolete technologies as these - stepping stones in innovative thinking. Watching some old-school Super Sentai (though I suggest researching first to see which older season is interesting to you) can be an educational experience in this regard. 

Comments

  1. Have you heard that both Kamen Rider Kuuga and Gavan are coming to BD ? Do a post about which Metal Hero and Kamen Rider should get released next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I can't guarantee I will write that post. Thanks for the suggestion though. I've been getting sick easily these days though. -_-

      Delete

Post a Comment