Yasuko Kobayashi's Super Sentai Finales Revisited

 

I was thinking about it that Yasuko Kobayashi is probably still a fan favorite. I think it's very common to see her name probably mentioned alongside Judd Lynn (who I think is just overhyped by the fans). With Go-Busters on its 10th anniversary and ToQGer getting its 10th by 2024 - I felt I wanted to write this post. If you're not a fan of spoilers - please DON'T READ. If not, you can go ahead and read this post. So, how did her finales do? I think it'd be best to evaluate them. Meanwhile, please do check this post I read years ago about Toshiki Inoue and his finales and Kobayashi's Kamen Rider finales.

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman

Kobayashi did get some minor Toku work such as with Janperson. Later on, Kobayashi did become an important contributor to Denji Sentai Megaranger as a secondary writer. I guess Toei Ltd. was impressed with her work, So, like Toshiki Inoue, Kobayashi was immediately set with being that "saver". But how did she fare well? Well, I felt that I'd like to point out that the finale arc did. There was also Hyuga who temporarily sacrificed his powers so Captain Zahab can be defeated.

How did the finale go? I felt the finale felt kind of rushed. It seemed to be done in a more personal way. Megaranger had its finale with Dr. Hinelar attacking the city with his final mecha. Dr. Hinelar is raising the stakes. Gingaman chose to get more personal towards the final battle. Captain Zahab delivered the Earth Demon Beast (which was born from Daitanix's remains) to attack them. The final battle has the Gingamen destroying him for good.

I can't be sure what I felt about the finale. The Earth manages to reward them by restoring the Ginga Forest. The same concept was taken into Power Rangers Lost Galaxy when Planet Mirinoi is revived. In fact, both finales even revived a friend namely Mijaru in Gingaman and Kendrix in Lost Galaxy. I felt there was a copout when the finale happened when the people thought gone have returned. Heck, even Moak returned AFTER it supposedly sacrificed itself. I felt the finale did try to diminish the impact or what? I can't be sure until now what I felt about it...

Though, I can't say it's a bad finale. I still felt though that somehow, Kobayashi may have decided to go with a bit of an Author's Saving Throw or what? 

Mirai Sentai Timeranger

I think this probably has a lot to talk about in the finale. I could say that while this is personally MY FAVORITE in Kobayashi's bunch (for daring to be that serious) - I still think there are other shows after it that had better writing. In this case, I felt Timeranger's finale was trying to be serious for the sake of it. Maybe, I should even highlight the finale arc.

The whole plot of the finale may be too sudden for some. Again, there are some signs already that Captain Ryuuya IS a douchebag. The Christmas episodes already showed that Captain Ryuuya is something I wish Domon punched in that episode. I guess such intensity was why Power Rangers Time Force took the direction as NOT to make Alex the secret final antagonist and Walking Spoiler. Instead, Alex ended up allowing the Time Force Rangers to finish their job. Though, Alex did show signs he was most likely drafted by writers to become the Final Boss and Ransik the Disc One Final Boss.

Now, back to topic. I felt that Timeranger's finale arc can be jarring. I felt the way that Naoto Takizawa died was no different than the way Gai Yuki (Jetman!Gai) died in the finale of Chojin Sentai Jetman. Heck, I even thought Inoue himself wrote that part! If Jetman!Gai died because of a mugger then Naoto died because of a ZENITTO BULLET from a distance. What was really the purpose of such an ironic and grim death anyway? Sure, we're getting the messages that the heroes aren't invincible. In fact, Jetman!Gai had experienced nearly dying more than once. I wonder Shinji Kasahara (Naoto's actor) requested Kobayashi the same way Toshihide Wakamatsu did? 

I felt the final episode seemed to be rushed in some way. Was Captain Ryuuya just menat to be shock value or what? Sorry, but I'd like to stress that somehow, Masato Kusaka of Kamen Rider Faiz, has been a better-developed backstabber. What was the whole point that Captain Ryuuya still authorized the use of the Time Jets or sent the Time Shadow? Apparently, all Ryuuya wanted to do was to LIVE. I felt that Captain Ryuuay was aware of the Grandfather Paradox. Ryuuya wanted to live without otherwise changing his time period. There's also the Great Disappearance which a portion of the 21st Century disappears without otherwise changing its era. Though, Ryuuya's actions made him a douche. I still feel the whole revelation Ryuuya spat out after Ayase shot him in a struggle was probably too sudden. It was already hinted when Ryuuya allowed Naoto to die in his place so he could live. Okay, he's a selfish douche but I felt he was rather underdeveloped. Kusaka himself had been more developed.

After the final battle, the other four Timerangers return to the 31st Century. Sure, the rampage of Gien has been stopped. It's heartbreaking to see Tatsuya and Yuuri admit their true feelings. Later on, Tatsuya is still out there and not reconciled with his father Wataru. Wataru begrudgingly watches while waiting for the time his son returns to the company. I felt the ending was probably meant to be bittersweet to set the tone. I guess that's why some people still think Time Force had a better ending. Wesley and Eric became reconciled. Mr. Collins reconciles with his son. True, the others had to return to the future. I still felt Time Force (in spite of its rushed run like Chojinki Metalder) did somewhat better in that department. Though, I felt Ransik's redemption was probably more of a copout than anything else. 

Samurai Sentai Shinkenger

I think it's no secret that Shinkenger is pretty much that popular series. I even hear how people think it's better than Timeranger or even thinks it's Kobayashi's Magnum Opus. Right now, I felt that Shinkenger's finale arc is somewhat not the best.

The spoilers arrive such as how Kaoru Shiba is the TRUE Shiba Head. We don't know what Shinkenger!Takeru's real surname is. It's just as SECRET as Maskman!Takeru since the Maskmen's surnames were NEVER mentioned for a reason. The whole effect even collapsed on the vassals. I'm glad that somehow Genta did acknowledge Kaoru or gave her vindication. I'm glad that Gokaiger gave Kaoru some vindication even if the revelation wasn't too welcome. Though, I'd probably always think of that one controversial plot. I guess you know what I'm talking about.

I still think Kaoru adopting a son older than her is FUNNY. Did Kobayashi really run out of ideas or did she want shock value or what? I think Kaoru could've probably just said, "Takeru, please finish the job that I couldn't." Have Kaoru berate Tanba and say, "Does it matter? Takeru can finish the job!" Instead, Kaoru chooses to ABDICATE her position to a "son" older than her. The joke was so played into Tensou Sentai Goseiger vs. Samurai Sentai Shinkenger when Alata got shocked at what Genta said. The Shinkengers marched into final battle. Doukouku is defeated. Then we have the wrap-up.

Personally, I still think Kaoru ABDICATING her seat is just stupid. For one, I think Takeru and his vassals should've bowed down to her at the finale. Maybe, have Kaoru give them new tasks or give them honorable dismissal. I think Takeru should've left the mansion like the rest. Maybe, have Takeru and Genta start a new business together. Maybe, have Takeru open a RAMEN SHOP as a shout out to Kazunori Inaba's current business. I think Kaoru should've remained in the Shiba House. Instead, the whole adoption gag really should be considered a bad joke. Yet, that never stopped Shinkenger from becoming a fan favorite, right? 

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters

I could go ahead and rant about how it's better executed than Power Rangers RPM. I could now even say that watching it and Gekisou Sentai Carranger finally made me join the bandwagon of Engine Sentai Go-Onger haters. It's a flip-flop and I know it. Now, it's time to think about how Go-Busters' finale IMHO isn't as good either. Sure, we didn't have the building drop thing on Enter like how it was done on Venjix via original RPM footage. Still, I can't help but think Kobayashi's not so good in her finales her.e

What happens here is the progression. I wonder if I'm making too much of fuzz as to how the Messiah Virus wasn't the final villain. However, it may feel that way since Enter himself would probably still outsmart Venjix and make the RPM Rangers suffer before he's inevitably defeated. The revelation that Enter placed the 13th Messiah Card into Hiromu cemented his contingency planning. The whole dilemma was there. Drama was built up. Though I still think I had one problem - the final pkan was somehow written too fast. 

I think about how it was too sudden (at least, for the main team) that Masato planned to sacrifice himself for the others. I felt that the team didn't have much time to grieve either. The whole team practically decided to go on with it after Masato gave them a powerful speech. Still, I think it could've been better IF the plan was known to the team BEFORE the final episode. I felt that it was really hard to accept. Sure, the characters have developed but I felt that Burai's death was still better handled. At least the Zyurangers knew Burai would one day leave them soon. Here, the final plan exploded on the faces of the rangers.

Sure, we don't see Enter getting a building drop. However, I felt that the whole final battle was kinda rushed. We have a rush Megazord battle followed by a rushed human-sized battle. Granted, Kobayashi did that in Gingaman back in 1998, right? Eventually, the heroes return from Hyperspace. I felt they could've arranged a funeral for Masato. Instead, we had an epilogue almost quite similar to how Chojin Sentai Jetman and Mirai Sentai Timeranger gave an epilogue. 

Ressha Sentai ToQGer

I think ToQGer will probably still be that low in my list when it comes to Kobayashi's list. Sure, there are fans and I can respect that. I think this will be a touchy topic since there are fans of it. There are people who tend to defend it to death which is uncalled for. If you like ToQGer then fine. I'm finding more value in it now than I did back in 2014. I believe it's been Vindicated By History beyond Railroad Day. Now, I could think about the finale. 

I think I could talk about the show trying something new. Emperor Zetto himself was a very atypical Big Bad. Emperor Zetto arrives to take charge but what does he do? Rather than be the fearsome Big Bad he was called to be - he becomes a childish person obsessed with shiny things. A lot of his crazy actions could've killed him. Members of the Shadow Line are allergic to light. Yet, Emperor Zetto has repeatedly put himself in danger. Though, Emperor Zetto started to snap out of it towards the finale arc.

The finale episode here may be at the bottom of Kobayashi's list. What truly happened was the final battle between ToQ-1 vs. Emperor Zetto. I think it's totally something when Emperor Zetto somehow opens back to his senses. However, Emperor Zetto's defeat really reminds me of another finale - Kamen Rider Faiz's finale. The Orphnoch King simply slipped into a coma and is watched over by Smart Lady. Here, Emperor Zetto somehow falls into a coma and is rescued by his "wife" Grita. Sure, the ToQGers get their happy endings. However, I still feel the final battle was underwhelming. Then again Kobayashi was at a burnout.

_____

So far, these shows are enjoyable and have a fanbase. But again, there's really no perfect Super Sentai. Sure, Jetman did save Super Sentai during the 1990s. Still, we can't deny how Inoue didn't write the best ending for it. I believe Kobayashi's finales aren't that good too. I enjoy the shows but I'll never hesitate to point out the flaws either. 

Comments