"Kakuranger Act Three: Middle Aged Struggles" To Be Connected To Hurricanger And Ninninger


Am I excited for the Ninja Sentai Kakuranger 30th anniversary movie (because they can be so rare) OR am I just looking for something to nitpick? I even said Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Once and Always was proof that Power Rangers was too stuck in the past. An update I got from UkiyaSeed reveals that Ninpou Sentai Hurricanger and Shuriken Sentai Ninninger will be part of the movie's continuity. Most Super Sentai entries are usually self-contained or take place in some other dimension -- unless specified. There are times when the convenient portal or "It's just a special." plot device is pulled during certain crossovers. Most Super Sentai crossover movies are like the Dragon Ball Z movies -- they probably just exist as some form of distraction or a fun What-If scenario. 

I have a bit of my hypothesis for the return of three seniors. Kohei Yamamoto was born in 1980, Nao Nagasawa was born in 1984 (her husband Koji Nakata was born in 1979), and Hideya Tawada was born in 1993. That would mean that Kohei was 15 years old, Nao Nagasawa was 10 years old, and Hideya was only but one year old. Nao's husband Koji would be 15 years old. I find this kind of strange since Nao's currently a mother of three. Kohei is also a father of two daughters and married before Nao. I can imagine the two Hurricanger alumni are doing it for their children, siblings, siblings-in-law, or even their spouses. I even wonder if Koji was still watching Super Sentai at 15. I want to assume that Nao was a fan of Kakuranger. Maybe, Koji and Kohei probably watched Super Sentai during their teenage years or have siblings who were fans of the show. 

Speaking of which, I kinda wanted Nao to be Iroki in Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger. It'd be interesting if Nao showed up as the misunderstood "tyrant queen". It could've been badass if Nao showed up and displayed her might to the current batch. However, I feel Nao may have been super busy with family life at that time. I guess there's some breathing space for Nao to show up in this crossover. 


Ninninger was Himitsu Sentai Goranger's 40th anniversary and it was really a low time for Super Sentai. Ninninger may not have its own timeline and may take place in the VS. Universe like Gokaiger. I even wonder if linking it back to the Metal Hero entry Sekai Ninja Jiraiya (and it can be a strange trip for nitpickers like myself) was all but a desperate move? So far, no news of linking the special to Jiraiya at all. Ninninger was also bizarre with how it had Yoshi Sudarso in a cameo and Shin Won Ho (from The Legend of the Blue Sea) in a cameo role. Talk about strange because Shin Won Ho worked with Shin Hye Sun -- an actress who looks like Tokusatsu alumni Sayuri Uchida

The ending of Kakuranger had the rangers seal of Daimaoh with their morphing devices. The events of Choriki Sentai Kakuranger vs. Ninja Sentai Kakuranger are obviously non-canon. It doesn't take a genius to see that the mecha used in the movie came AFTER Emperor Bacchushund was defeated by the Oh-Blocker. However, the movie had Prince Buldont still as a CHILD. The movie was a huge What-If scenario more than anything else. In short, I can expect continuity errors to pop out like popcorn. Most Super Sentai VS. Movies are meant to be enjoyed as some side story. At this point, I assume that each and every Super Sentai character as a different multiverse version of themselves. Yes, the convenient alternate universe writing plot to explain continuity errors!

I'll just expect those fans who'd try to push the narrative of a Super Sentai timeline. I believe some of them are Power Rangers fans -- those who got too used to seeing the franchise take place in some kind of expanding Universe. It'd be fun to imagine Super Sentai in that setting EXCEPT that doing so would create more continuity errors than Power Rangers already had. I don't want to debate on it anymore. However, I still love to force that narrative no matter how convoluted it gets -- all because it can be downright crazy. I wonder how this Kakuranger movie will turn out with Hurricanger and Ninninger in the picture? 

Comments