Main Concerns For Project RED After Seeing "Kakusei Hunter Omegahorn's" First Episode

Previously, I wrote that Project RED could truly replace Super Sentai. The toy sales have dwindled which may have caused Super Sentai's five-year finale. I had my concerns when Gavan Infinity wrapped up in just 23 episodes instead of going for a full year. It was like WUT? It's because Kamen Rider Zeztz is blatantly hitting its ending (and honestly, I'm under Kamen Rider taste fatigue). 

Remembering the Super Hero Time schedule (which was given its name in 2003)

The trend where Super Sentai and Kamen Rider would be an early year thing, started in 2000. Kamen Rider Kuuga premiered on January 30, 2000. On the other hand, Mirai Sentai Timeranger aired on February 13, 2000. The two tend to be together. Timeranger had lower toy sales than its predecessor Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive. Kuuga was the first new Kamen Rider series that broke away from the late Shotaro Ishinomori's continuity in favor of a fresher formula. Honestly. I find most of the Showa era Kamen Rider shows not my style. These days, I simply look at Kamen Rider BLACK and its inferior (but still fun) sequel Kamen Rider BLACK RX as some kind of transition. BLACK RX introduced several stuff that actually spilled over to the Heisei era and Reiwa era like multiple forms, a car, and civilian friends who actually get involved in the lone hero's journey. Kuuga managed to learn HOW to do that.

Basically, think about how each show ran with a near-tandem towards each other. Super Hero Time was a programming block in 2003. That happened to be the 10th anniversary of Mighty Morphin'. 2003 was the year when Bakuryu Sentai Abaranger and extremely overly depressing Kamen Rider Faiz (Toshiki Inoue started showing signs of burning out). 

Super Sentai's long history had a considerable change in 2009. Who can remember when Kamen Rider Decade only had 31 episodes with an indefinite conclusion? Kamen Rider W premiered on September 6, 2009. I assumed that Decade got cancelled because it was just terrible. I even called it the "spiritual sequel" of Saban's Masked Rider. Even better, the crossover with Samurai Sentai Shinkenger was miles better than "A Friend in Need" in Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Unlike Saban's Masked Rider, we get to see Tsukasa Kadoya in the crossovers and not get the flak. Decade was vindicated by history, unlike Saban's Masked Rider, which got retconned out entirely. Basically, I made a mistake thinking that Decade got cancelled due to really bad ratings!

Instead, Kamen Rider would always premiere during the -ber months. This was called the Heisei Era Kamen Rider Phase 2. This may have prevented the toy overload that may have persisted even in the 2000s. This was the formula that went from 2009 until 2025. Apparently, it allowed Bandai to avoid stressing them out when toy sales were the issue. However, Super Sentai toys had an ongoing decline compared to the Kamen Rider toys.

That makes me think of how Omegahorn's late July 2026 premiere could clash with Kamen Rider eventually

I don't think Super Sentai is just "on break" but retired for good. The 2026 exhibit felt like a proper farewell. Omegahorn came in this week on July 26, 2026. Gavan Infinity ended with a typical "police drama ending". We ended up having Omegahorn so soon in the place of Gavan. It makes me think of the possible toy sales cannibalization.

Sure, the upcoming Kamen Rider My-Th is still due in September 2026 (fall). However, we had our Gavan Infinity toys to be followed up with Omegahorn toys. I can't be certain what toys Omegahorn would have after the Gavan Infinity toys. I even heard there's some DEAD INVENTORY and they might end up in Toy Kingdom or SM Toystore (which has been downsized) soon. Can new toys launched in late July 2026 end up cannibalizing any upcoming My-Th toys?

Hmmmm... leaves room for thought! 

Comments