My First Impressions On Sakito Homura/Bun Violet


It's been some time since I REACTED to an update. As a reminder -- I prefer to react to updates than to give them. I just leave the updates to sites like JEFusion (which I stopped guest-writing for them so I can focus on other stuff) or UkiyaSeed. I'd like to give my first impressions of Sakito Homura or Bun Violet. Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger uses more simplistic, almost retro-style designs while keeping in mind we're in the digital age. I love some good old retro stuff while accepting new technology. 

I'd like to emphasize some problems I had with the newer Super Sentai. One of them involves the sixth ranger showing up too soon. I could remember one of my problems with post-Gokaiger seasons was the sixth ranger pacing. Sure, I'm a fan of Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters but I think Masato Jin's episode 14 arrival was, "QUICK! WE GOTTA SELL MORE TOYS!"Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger gave us Utsusemimaru in the NINTH EPISODE. I may have enjoyed Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger better last year. However, I felt Jeramie Braserie showed up too soon in EPISODE 11. I can easily understand Mashin Sentai Kiramager though because of the Legacy Virus pandemic. I may no longer like Doubotsu Sentai Zyuohger. I feel Junko Komura really misses too much during anniversary seasons. However, Mondo Misao's late tens arrival was a refreshing pace from Shuriken Sentai Ninninger's EIGHTH EPISODE appearance. Ninninger crashed with the toy sales presumably because Ressha Sentai ToQGer has too many competitive edges over it!


What gets really interesting is Sakito's past. Maybe, I can expect some development about what happened to Sakito's parents. Sakito gets etranged from the Earth. The connection between Sakito and Byundi Diesel (an obvious pun on Vin Diesel aka Mark Sinclair) is there. After two normally lighthearted introductions -- it's only normal to add some layers to balance it. It's a nice introduction to get us to understand why Sakito acts the way he does -- a loner! Taiya wants to be friends with Sakito. Sakito has a hard time trusting people. The fact Sakito doesn't immediately join the heroes is good development. Later, Shirabe phones her employers believing that Sakito can have vital information on the Hashiliens. 

The relationship between BunBun and Byundi is also shown. It's not really just like, "Hey kids! Buy this new toy!" Instead, the new toy is slowly introduced as to why you should buy it. It's not like how Dragon Ball Z's Buu Saga became an overglorified toy commercial. I remember how the Buu Saga toys enamored me as a child and I wanted them all -- that's until I saw the Buu Saga and how many new toys are introduced all at once. None of the new concepts such as the Fusion characters, Super Saiyan 3 Goku, and more did anything other than introduce a new toy. I'm glad that Byundi isn't just a new toy -- he's got a plot with BunBun! 

What makes me LMAO though is the design. It's easy for me to laugh at the Mook-ish design that Bun Violet has compared to the rest. I wanted to make fun of the "poor fashion choice" that Sakito may have had to design his THAT'S NOT SPANDEX outfit. Is Toei cutting on the budget due to how expensive last year's King-Ohger got? I still find the charm of the Mook-ish design though -- no matter how odd it looks to have a sixth ranger who looks like a generic Mook. Part of me almost thought of Squid Game with that design. 

Overall, it was a decent entry. I can say that Sakito's timing is better than than Jeramie's. Jeramie came too soon -- like EPISODE 11? It meant the producer and writer tandem had more time to figure out how to work the perfect debut. Sure, I may still be hyped over King-Ohger but it's refreshing to have a simplistic, not-so-soon introduction to the Sixth Ranger. 

Comments