Super Sentai Strongest Battle Mini-Series VS. The First Super Hero Taisen Movie


I remembered some time ago where I wrote an entry bashing Power Rangers' short feature episode "Dimensions in Danger". However, there's yet another movie by Toei Ltd. that I'd say reminds me I've got a LONG way to learn about better storytelling - it's the first Super Hero Taisen movie. I gave some painful jabs on "Dimensions in Danger" but it doesn't mean I have completely forgotten why I still hate the first Super Hero Taisen movie like there's no tomorrow. The whole movie was so full of annoying sob stories and a bigger mess. I can understand if I can write really bad stories because I'm no story writer. However, Toei has producers and writers to guide it so why did it become the mess it was? At least, the didn't hire me to write the script or they'd go bankrupt with the special effects!

Now, it's time to consider my comparison between the two massive crossovers. Super Sentai Strongest battle is not just an example of what "Dimensions in Danger" should've been. Also, I'd consider it to be what Super Hero Taisen could've been as a four-part mini-series which could've been after Gokaiger ended and before airing Go-Busters, IMHO. So, I could start with almost everything...

 

How the characters are treated in Super Sentai Strongest Battle is better

I personally wished Gai Ikari were in Super Sentai Strongest Battle but I guess Junya Ikeda was unavailable. Though, Captain Marvelous does his fair share of being that legendary figure. Also, Takaharu finally and I mean FINALLY gets the improvement he needs as a character. What I hated about Super Hero Taisen was also full of whining and complaining about sob stories. I'd probably do a worse job with the sob stories focused on the unnecessary war. When I finally saw Super Sentai Strongest Battle - I do feel a slap on my face on how bad my storytelling can get. Though, I do want to still excuse nobodies who write stories more than professional writers behind the set.

Aside from the fact that Captain Marvelous doesn't become overly focused - I could say he's really the Marvelous that fans love. I didn't care about at all about characterizations (as evidenced by my Old Shame which is forever one) but here - I started to care more about it. Captain Marvelous doesn't spend too much time arguing and does what he does. The others all take part in the legendary crossover that would get things ready for the Reiwa era.

I think about the focus is really there. The Oddball team is well, Oddball but they get the focus they deserve. I don't know how much time has passed if Kagura's an adult. I mean, will Toei please tell me what year ToQGer took place or did Kagura fall into a time warp? Takaharu gets to be much better than he did in Ninninger. Then again, Takaharu was always way smarter than Victor and Monty in Ninja Steel. Stinger gets to have a what-if scenario considering his new rank as commander. I also like how Yamato meets with his older doppelganger Kakeru. The team tries to figure out what's fishy with the competition going on. I think it established what Super Hero Taisen could've done in regard to the conflict of the Kamen Rider and Super Sentai.

The REAL problem of Super Hero Taisen for me

I don't think the idea of Kamen Riders and Super Sentai stuck in a battle is bad. I think it does represent childhood arguments. However, the real issue is portrayed in the meme of Patrick Star from Spongebob Squarepants above. I was, at first, excited at the idea though can everything be done in just an hour and a half? The answer would be no. The whole film just had poor progression and poor pacing. It's not just the out-of-character moments but also the seriously weak pacing. Every Super Hero Taisen film would suffer from that. I know I've had a soft spot for the later movies but I'd like to still hit on the first film like there's no tomorrow.

The pacing is a real issue too. Can you really cram in all the characters from the Super Sentai and Kamen Rider franchise and well... cram them in? I learned the hard way that writing with lots and lots of characters can make me lose focus. The worse part is trying to wrap everything up in one film with some selected main characters is just dull. Then there's fanservice here and there. I don't see anything valuable with Kamen Rider Black and Red Mask kicking butt together. It's really more of a hit on my face than a nice throwback to my childhood. Pacing is really another issue that hurt "Dimensions in Danger" too.

Sometimes, I can't even decide which film is worse with the whining scenes. I tried to watch the Power Rangers (2017) movie and like it was so morphine-induced. The Super Hero Taisen entry film? It's probably just as bad with all the whining. The only good thing about the film is the presentation. For me, trying to watch either film is really a torture to my mind. Just because I dislike Power Rangers doesn't mean I won't express my disappointments with Super Sentai too.

Where the wrap-up makes a difference between the two titles

I think the whole final battle of Super Hero Taisen is really me imagining Shinichiro Shirakura and Shoji Yonemura hiring Michael Bay to direct their film. The excessive use of explosions with fanservice is really uncalled for. The scene where Kamen Rider Black and Red Mask get together is more of a slap than a nice throwback to my childhood. I wanted to crawl under my blanket and cry over it even if I didn't.

I think one area where the mini-series prevails is how it's concluded. Do you remember how Daiki or Kamen Rider Di-End caused a ruckus and he FREAKING GOT AWAY WITH IT after the final battle? Like WTF. In the film, Rita has her desire to revive Dai Satan to destroy the Universe because of all the injustices she's suffered. Rita herself gets defeated but not killed. I really like how Stinger manages to arrest Rita and tell her to repent of her crimes. I wonder if she'll be back in a future non-canon crossover or what? Arresting Rita is way better than letting Daiki get away with nearly killing EVERYONE in the finale of the first Super Hero Taisen movie. Rita did a lot of stupid stuff and her getting arrested to serve jail term was appropriate. She might get a lighter sentence since she was probably under Dai Satan's influence the whole time.

Comments

  1. Update: I just saw the picture of Ultimate Great Satan and Nada/Gaisoulg on the movie set for the upcoming Ryusoulger Vs. LupinRanger Vs. PatRanger Vs. 3 Heisei Dinosaur Sentai or Squadron (ZyuRanger, AbaRanger and Kyoryuger) Movie next year. Also rumored are the return of Rita and possible revived villains from the said previous series. The problems? Actors and actresses like Aiko Ito, Ayuri Konno, Kaoru Abe and others that were retiring will refuse to reprised their roles. Hope and pray the Ryusoulgers won't end up like punks destroying the dinosaurs unlike what the Kyoryugers did in Kyoryuger Vs. Go-Busters. With Kirameiger arriving in 2020, and another Super Sentai after that in 2021, I hoped that ALL of the Super Sentai Teams from the Showa, Heisei and down to the Reiwa Eras will return someday and forget the rivalries they had in the past. Justice for Super Sentai!!! Kill Rita, Ultimate Great Satan and other revived villains, ZyuRangers, AbaRangers, Kyoryugers, LupinRangers, PatRangers and Ryusoulgers!!! Save all of the Super Sentai (Squadron) Teams that they were Rita and Ultimate Great Satan's victims (especially Keiichirou Asaka/PatRen 1 gou) of the Super Squadron Strongest Battle! Don't let yourselves vanished into thin air and never come back to Earth! Oh, and by the way, make the articles on Kirameiger soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @rogerph2015

      I can't immediately make entries on Kirameiger. I have to wait. Also, I do have other new passions catching up on me right now. =P

      Delete
    2. Oh, and one last thing: About Rita-chan, she may be a young villainess, but she has tremendous powers (including brainwashing/hypnotism) to crash the Showa and the Heisei Sentai into intense rivalries. In other words, she really wanted to end the Super Squadron by fighting against each other for supremacy. Grandparents Vs. Middle-aged people Vs. Parents Vs. Teenager of the Super Sentai. This is elderly and parental abuse being done by this young villainess! Imagine in Japan today, lots of teenagers are doing crimes against fellow teenagers, parents and grandparents. This is totally unforgivable!

      Delete
    3. @rogerpH2015

      Well, I hope we can have a long conversation here... hehehehehehe! TBH, I NEVER thought about that Rita was causing rivalry between generation gaps. Just think of it Goranger was my parents' Sentai, the 80s and 90s are the dearest to me, 2000s and up to present have new generations that will have a very hard time adjusting to old school. Generation gaps are a reality in any long-running fanbase like Super Sentai.

      Speaking of which, I hate it whenever young people abuse the elderly. After all, I'm pretty much still missing my grandparents!

      Delete

Post a Comment