How Other Super Sentai Series May Have Affected My Opinion On Shinkenger


As 2019 comes to an end and I'm really preparing for Timeranger's 20th anniversary - I would like to think of Shinkenger. Yes, it's been a long time since I haven't talked about it after I finally got over one of my hangovers. I would think this is a series that gets overappreciated. I think the really poor performance of the Neo-Saban era even led to this show getting overrated. Then I think about Shinkenger may have been praised as Yasuko Kobayashi's Magnum Opus. Heck, back then, it was the series that first got me introduced to Yasuko Kobayashi and Super Sentai. I had very little idea how things worked behind Super Sentai when I started writing this blog - I had to really read through the now-defunct blog Valsag Fantasy by Sentai Bandicoot (formerly Fantasy Leader) and had to watch through Akibaranger to know Kazuo Niibori.

I could remember the 2000s were an era where I felt having a hard time accepting newer Super Sentai. It was probably because I was in pursuit of other newer stuff. Back in 2009 - I simply watched Shinkenger for the girls rather than the plot. But unlike Power Rangers Megafail - it had both PLOT and EYE CANDY. So, I started enjoying it for the plot. The show gets excessive praise for its likable characters (though Mako herself can be pretty blunt). I soon started to like the show while embracing its flaws. I also think that the whole Shinkenger finale arc did have some eyebrow-raising ones. Until now, I do feel sorry for Kaoru's decision to abdicate since she could've just simply assigned the task to Takeru to finish what she failed to do. Also, Kaoru should've stayed behind the Shiba house while Takeru and the others leave to pursue their personal lives. As said, Yasuko Kobayashi, like Toshiki Inoue, really has weird ways of wrapping up her stories.

It wasn't until later I got clearer, better copies of classic Super Sentai especially during the 80s to 90s. Watching Shinkenger felt like me watching my classmates or schoolmates become Super Sentai heroes. I mean, I'm actually older than most of the cast! I just watched Shinkenger in order to feel young. However, I wanted to watch more old school Super Sentai for the meantime because I felt like the newer ones weren't pleasing to me that much. Sometimes, focusing on old school for the meantime and watching new school series later at my own pace is better. I'm the kind of guy who can't focus on everything all at once so there, get it? The more I watched some old school Super Sentai - the more I feel the newer ones tend to lack the drama and action I enjoyed. Hence, Shinkenger's ranking just gets a bit lower to the point I'd no longer put it on my top ten. Newer folks can enjoy it at their top ten all they want but NOT me.

I still thought of the two Takerus for a start. Maskman's Takeru vs. Shinkenger's Takeru is pretty much a generation gap. I mean, Maskman's Takeru is pretty much old enough to be the father of Shinkenger's Takeru. I still remember how I did a few comparisons between Shinkenger to Maskman and Jetman. I think of Kotoha as a shy version of Jetman's Ako. I think of Ryunosuke as a hammier Kenta. I think of Chiaki as Akira in blue. Though I still admit I compare Mako to Kimberly in Might Morphin' - to a certain extent. I was thinking of the rivalries. Maskman's Takeru had a more personal rivalry with Kiros than Shinkenger's Takeru ever had with Juzo. Juzo just wants a blood battle. Kiros wanted Maskman's Takeru dead out of the former's lust for Ial. But that's just a preview of some stuff in older school Super Sentai that makes me like Shinkenger less.

I did watch Gingaman and I think the series is great. Maybe, I just had a bit of need to watch more old school before watching more new school at that time. I could consider how Gingaman eventually got into the Sentai DVD sales AND sold. Gingaman itself had some interesting plots. However, I admit, I was just riding on Sentai Bandicoot's opinions at that time with Gingaman. Though, I'd still admit Gingaman seems to have better storytelling than Shinkenger for me. At least, I was able to watch Gingaman without thinking about Lost Galaxy.

The more I watch Timeranger - the more I think that it's Kobayashi's Magnum Opus - not Shinkenger! I heard younger fans didn't immediately like it. It was probably too serious and ambitious for its own good. I admit that Shinkenger has more lovable characters than Timeranger. Who wouldn't want Mako's hug over Yuuri's slap? Timeranger's cast can be that cold like Tatsuya and need I mention Yuuri. Is it me or does Kobayashi also like writing jerks a LOT as much as Inoue? Yuuri herself appears to be a cold-stuck up bitch though that's later explained. Mako is still pretty sweet for a very blunt woman and her being left in Japan while her mother underwent therapy didn't change her that much. I still think it's bonkers to why Kobayashi never made Takeru and Mako an official couple. Both Tatsuya and Yuuri tend to be very dysfunctional and they became an official star-crossed couple. I think one thing Timeranger had that Shinkenger lacks is the more complex layers of drama and seriousness. Shinkenger just lacks the complex drama of Timeranger. I do tend to like complex drama A LOT as part of hard-to-do story writing. Heck, my extreme favoritism for Timeranger has too affected my personal preferences on other Super Sentai series.

Maybe, I could also mention Go-Busters may have had affected my views on Shinkenger. At first, I was just afraid to admit that I did like Go-Busters. I was just riding on other people's opinions. Then I thought Go-Busters is a breath of fresh air. Go-Busters was post-Gokaiger and I thought that keeping things a little simpler in the digital age can work. Right now, I admit that Go-Busters also somehow contributes to why I don't really think highly of Kyoryuger. I even found the whole Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters crossover to be messy. Go-Busters' characters may well be somewhat stiff to a certain extent (and I confess that I tend to like Zoey's cheery character over Yoko's stiff face) but I think the writing (as of present) is better than that of Shinkenger. I may still prefer Shinkenger over ToQGer (and my opinion on the Kamen Rider crossovers haven't changed even if mine on ToQger did after five years) but I think I'm liking Go-Busters storytelling better after a bit of a rewatch. Hopefully, I don't go all childish as I try to defend my like for this show!

Do I still like Shinkenger? I'd say I do but maybe not as much as the others now. It was long out of my personal top ten because most of my favorite Super Sentai seasons are in the old school era. I may be watching newer Super Sentai now but I enjoy newer Kamen Rider more. I still feel the show earns its place as a fan favorite. Yet, I do feel the show has had a bandwagon of fans for some time. If you want to check it out and if you like it - fine. However, do try and check some of the other Super Sentai shows too.

Comments

  1. Unfortunately, the Samurai Sentai Shinkenger 10 Years After Movie did not materialize because of 3 things:
    1) All of the actors and actresses of the 2009 Super Sentai Series refused to reprised their roles.
    2) The Super Sentai Strongest Battle.
    3) And in their separate messages on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Ameblo accounts, they did their own separate ways despite Toei's pleas to return which is of course labeled by fans as "demoralizing".
    Now that the Shinkengers are among Rita's victims in the SSSB, will they return for the 45th Anniversary of Super Sentai in 2021? Oh, brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @rogerph2015

      Hi welcome and I hope we can have a good conversation. I would like to state that I'm actually glad there's no 10 years after movie for Shinkenger. =P

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment