Finally, Donbrothers' First Combined Megazord And My Thoughts On The Rather Long Intro Arc

 

I wanted to go on a hiatus (or even eventually stop blogging about Super Sentai altogether). Now, it's time to look at what I might call a new type of mecha combination. It's really not enough that the other rangers become CGI-deformed people. 

This is really one weird way to do the mecha...

Previously, we saw the Donbrothers become CGI-deformed characters. Some even defy their sizes like how in the world did one's spandex (insert Dr. K's jokes here) get LONGER LEGS or how can one become a midget dog or a bulky gorilla? What I find even more logic-defying is how in the world do they become mecha versions of themselves? Instead of piloting the mecha - they BECOME the Mecha. Don Momotaro has also copied the technique to fight in another dimension like the Space Sheriff Trilogy heroes Gavan, Sharivan, and Shaider. I think Toei Ltd. discontinuing the Metal Hero franchise is all because of Kamen Rider's revival. Metal Hero may be discontinued (probably because Robotack just sucked) but the references just live on. I even feel that the Kamen Rider suits being more metallic is proof that the Metal Hero spirit still lives on regardless. Super Sentai is also doing it in some way too.

This just reminds me of one Transformers Japanese-exclusive series where animation was provided by Toei Ltd. The second season was called Transformers Masterforce which Toei Ltd. felt like it ripped itself. The characters would don power suits and then become robots. Wait, how does one go from flesh and blood, wear a suit, and then DON A ROBOT BODY? Rewatching a few episodes of Transformers Masterforce can defy the logic faster than Super Sentai ever will. Speaking of which, I think that Don Momotaro is really in danger of becoming the new Optimus Prime Ginrai with how the first 11 episodes were. Don Momotaro refuses to work with the others. I just love the side comments made by the characters when they defy logic. It's fun to see how both Saru Brother and Kiji Brother comment that they split into two and LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Such a thing was also done in Gekisou Sentai Carranger when Pink Racer's vehicle split into two (which was also the case of Kosoku Sentai Turboranger). They still keep their minds together though unlike how a Combiner in the Transformers series works. 

Quite a bit of trivia is that Toei Animation had worked with Hasbro for American series such as the 1980s Transformers cartoon and when Toei Ltd. provided animation for the 95 episodes of G.I. Joe's 1980s cartoon. Why Hasbro decided to let DiC handle the third season (which took two years after the G.I.Joe The Movie flick) is really mind-boggling. I guess it's no surprise that Hasbro has Power Rangers now. Though, I must confess I hate those Power Rangers Lightning Collection designs for how the faces aren't so detailed. I feel Power Rangers fans need to complain but it seems Toei Ltd., Saban Brands, and Hasbro are probably too focused on the Morphin' Greed. I guess a lot of the weird designs here are all linked to the GREED to sell more Bandai Merchandise. 

The long 11-episode intro arc before the 12th episode

Back on topic - I think the whole idea of the team's crisis was purposely done. I dunno if it's a breath of fresh air by Toshiki Inoue or was it just bad writing? Inoue is someone who has written a couple of good episodes (and I still feel he was a saving grace in Kamen Rider Zi-O's episodes revolving around Kamen Rider Kiva). Though, I'll always label him as "cruel" for how he wrote Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger's 28th episode. Sorry for those who disagree but I'll always it a "cruel episode" to make Gai Ikari not see Gai Yuki. I may have deleted a couple of old shames (and honestly, I feel like I bit more than I can chew and should've admitted my blatant dislike for Power Rangers) but I still feel no creator backlash for my obviously silly remake of "Wings Forever"

The team is very atypical as they are forced to try and get to know each other. I think going atypical from a male pink ranger Tyuyoshi Kijino (which I love to beat up as a weak point) or how Tsubasa Inazuka is quite a bit of a Gai Yuki-type character. I guess depths were added when Tsubasa was wrongfully accused and has to clear his same. The same goes for Haruka Kito who had to clear her name from the allegation she was a plagiarist. The 11 episodes try to show the characters as people. For instance, Taro Momoi or Don Momotaro refuses to let the others aid him. Haruka's life gets complicated after she becomes part of the team - something similar to both Ako Hayasaka in Chojin Sentai Jetman and Kotoha Hanaori in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. Take note though that Inoue didn't get involved in Shinkenger though I felt he should've written a cooking battle for Genta. 

Granted, Inoue tried to make the Jetman introduction arc a bit long. We don't see the complete team fight UNTIL the third episode. After that, Gai Yuki tries to leave the team not wanting to do anything but his heroic instincts kick in. However, the Jetmen aren't completely a team yet until midseason during the Demon Gods Arc. Gai is still Ryu Tendo's rival through and through (and Kaori Rokumeikan got involved in a one-sided attraction). Gai later accepts Ryu from his rival to his best friend. Gai even goes as far as to talk sense into Ryu who discovered Rie was in fact Maria of the Vyram. I guess Inoue wants to try the same approach since it's a whole boat full of misfits. Sing the song about the misfit toys from Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer anyone? 

They started to discover each other's identities and they joined together. I guess Donbrothers, like Kikou Sentai Zenkaiger, is trying new stuff. I felt Zenkaiger was underwhelming but I enjoyed the new concepts. It's pretty much like how I feel certain stuff is creative but I'm still underwhelmed by the implementation. In this case, it seems Donbrothers might be trying to redeem from the last season or not. It's still not confirmed if the Kaito Gokishida of this continuity is the same as last season. Though, Zenkaiger had two episodes that may prove they're the same person. 

I'm still keeping my bar low considering I feel a decline in the Japanese entertainment industry. That' coming from someone who enjoyed seeing Ryoma Takeuchi in a zombie apocalypse called Love You As the World Ends. The digital age also offers new stuff that I deem better than what Toku has to offer these days. Though I'll just say what caters to my preferences since some people may still enjoy Toku today. Just that I feel Japanese entertainment needs to be more aggressive in the world market and directly compete against Korean entertainment some more. 

What are your thoughts? 

Comments

  1. Did you hear that Shirakura said in his recent Q&A with Brazil that Sentai won't end, no matter the toy sales and TV ratings. If the show is not going to get cancelled; then why shove in so many toys, why have characters, that behave like a 8 year old, and why have no plots and static characters (hero and villain).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry not yet. Though, I'm getting skeptical Super Sentai won't end any time soon either. I'm still expecting a hiatus any time soon though.

      Delete
    2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVabjFMhc1A This might interest you.

      Delete

Post a Comment