Did Super Sentai Try To Create A "Morphing Grid" For Certain Super Sentai Seasons?

I was watching Donbrothers and it's been hard not to think about Beast Morphers. Call me weird all you want but it happened. I wonder why is Donbrothers even using the ability to become past Super Sentai... pretty much like Gokaiger? At one moment where I'm praising Go-Busters for trying to make Enetron independent of all other sources - I'm now wondering if I'm badmouthing Donbrothers for linking itself to Zenkaiger so directly? As if having both Zoey and Haruka showing their jobs as noble heroism wasn't enough. I did write an article about why a Super Sentai Morphin' Grid is just impossible. However, what if the concept was integrated into the VS. Movies and the anniversary seasons (as well as some selected seasons) without us knowing it? Take note that Power Rangers doesn't mention the Morphin' Grid all the time too. 

Maybe, the idea was actually made for the Gokaiger continuity though not existent in the default series' timeline


Gokaiger is one massive anniversary Super Sentai season - something I never expected before. The guest stars were there whoever Toei Ltd. could contact. Though, some aren't welcome such as the infamous incidents regarding Sun Vulcan when one of its cast members has a criminal record. Toei Ltd. can't risk that, right? Gokaiger's first episode has the Legend War which the Zangyack led a massive invasion. The best solution for the 34 legendary Super Sentai teams was to sacrifice their powers. The Armada was wiped out which temporarily incapacitated the Zangyack. So, at least in this alternate continuity, the previous teams temporarily lost their powers. The Gokaigers seek the power of the Legendary Ranger Keys which are powered by the energies sacrificed by the 34 legendary teams.

Though, if you think about it, within the 34 series, all the previous energies are vastly different. In Power Rangers, one could notice that the Morphin' Grid is hardly mentioned in most of the entries. It's not even a very developed concept either. Most Super Sentai seasons gave different sources of power per season too. Zyuranger's Gaiatron is not linked to any previous source either. There's really no connection between the Birdonic Waves of Jetman and the Tetrahedron Power of Ohranger to the Bio Particles in Bioman. That also means the powers of the Dekarangers are completely their own unlike how SPD has the Morphin' Grid involved. I guess that's another point for Dekaranger over SPD for me in that regard. Though, I feel linking Dekaranger to Gavan is weird making me treat Dekaranger 10 Years After as a non-canon film leading to a different continuity outside the actual series. So, canonically, there can't be this great energy source in the Universe that manifested itself in different forms because of how events unfolded in many entries. Most Super Sentai series tend to be self-contained unless they're not self-contained. 


The plot device of the Ranger Keys would lead to the Greatest Treasure in the Universe. The artifact was hinted at throughout the whole series. The finale arc led to the Greatest Treasure of the Universe. The plot was carried from episode 49 to episode 50 when GOUSHI shows up. Is it that intentional or what knowing that Zyuranger is the source material of Mighty Morphin'? This great source of energy could reset the whole timeline (which I felt Go-Busters was a reboot season). What Gai Ikari does is to DESTROY it because they acknowledge the 34 seasons. This was probably a dangerous source of energy that was better not used. 

The Gokaiger 10 years movie tries to introduce the plot where the corrupt Minister of Defense gets the Ranger Keys. The Ranger Keys are now getting weaponized. I guess Mayor Daniels was right when he mentioned the risks of Morph-X in his continuity. The movie really showed the risk of trying to harness the Ranger Keys' powers that might be best left to the rangers. Morph-X projects were also dropped at the end of Beast Morphers except for Grid Battleforce. I guess some energies are better left for military use huh? 

Pretty much, one should always treat Super Sentai crossovers (especially the FAILED Super Hero Taisen) like the way the Super Robot Wars series plays. A series of non-canon events which are but what-if scenarios. I played a few Super Robot Wars games and many events just are obviously non-canon...

Why I felt it was a GOOD THING that Go-Busters made Enetron its own source of energy


Gokaiger ended and Go-Busters came. I personally was afraid to admit I thought Gokaiger was a breath of fresh air. The plot of Go-Busters had the Vaglass trying to steal valuable energy called Enetron to feed off its own version of Venjix known as the Messiah Virus. I still feel all the hype last 2012 was probably why the show couldn't become a doomsday Super Sentai - which I felt it should. Enetron was made a completely independent source of energy from Gokaiger

One of the reasons why I criticized Beast Morphers borders on trying to throwback again to the past. A good example is how, no surprise, Evox was Venjix all along. I can't imagine if that plot was put into, no surprise, the Messiah Virus was Yogoscrimaten all along and the Vaglass itself is a reformed Gaiarc. Though, I felt that the Ark from Kamen Rider Zero-One was pretty much like the Venjix Virus in one form or another. The dialogue of Mayor Daniels shows concern. However, it also shows how the show just refuses to stop milking the past. Instead, Enetron is presented as some new source of energy that has provided a power source for both civilians and the military to use.

I personally can't imagine if Go-Busters went the same route last 2012. I couldn't imagine if Energy Management Center in Go-Busters was using the energy from Gokaiger. I could imagine that a new source of energy called Henshinium was created (which will in turn inspire Morph-X). I think I don't even want to have a dialogue with Akihabara City's mayor saying that the power of some "universal grid" has been pursued by Black Cross Fuhrer all the way to the Zangyack. I'm actually glad such a plot wasn't done in Go-Busters

The Messiah Virus pretty much ends up as his own Venjix-inspired character. Go-Busters gave rest from the anniversary except for the blunder I call the Gavan episodes. I still feel the Gavan episodes might be best discarded as "special episodes" than actual episodes. I just can't imagine of Enter and Escape were tasked with finding the Ranger Keys or such tasks. It would be weird if we had an actual episode in Go-Busters where the villains gather various artifacts like Beast Morphers did. Instead, the nostalgic flashbacks were left where they belonged - in Gokaiger

I feel that Donbrothers is really bringing the "Morphin' Grid" concept into Super Sentai


I guess my high hopes for Donbrothers were better off non-existent. Just hearing that the rangers could use the previous powers of the previous rangers is something I'm wary about. It's understandable if Zenkaiger did that or had the Super Sentai worlds referenced. Granted, Zenkaiger IS an anniversary season even if I don't find myself fond of it. Zyuohger had every excuse to bring the Gokaigers back for a two-parter because it was an anniversary season. Those excuses are there. However, Donbrothers is post anniversary so I reserve my right to give my OPINION that it's not a very good move. 


It can't be helped that Haruka is working as a waitress at Cafe Donburo. Care Donburo is owned by what might be a different version of Kaito Goshikida from Zenkaiger or his personality changed after he became an established business owner. Haruka's status as a part-time waitress reminds me of Zoey's work as a laundrywoman. Both Zoey and Haruka show the importance of entry-level work or menial work. They show people like them are everyday heroes and can make a difference. I feel Donbrothers might be bringing in whatever unnamed force that Gokaiger had (and I think it was hinted in Boukenger vs. Super Sentai) when Aka Red was introduced. Aka Red also appeared in Gokaiger. I feel Zoey and Haruka are doing the best they can to show the value of hard work. I feel they might actually be shaming the very people that created them as fictional characters.

I feel that Donbrothers' source of power is some "universal Super Sentai grid". It's really quite impossible or maybe even rarely mentioned. It might've been what powered up the Gokaigers to use the forms of other Super Sentai. It seems that it is what works with Donbrothers as it did with Gokaiger and Zenkaiger. Though, that concept isn't directly stated, or DID I MISS SOMETHING AGAIN? Yet, that "universal grid" can't work with all since most series are self-contained. Besides, Super Sentai crossovers will always contain certain events that are totally out of place. Anybody who played or got familiar with Super Robot Wars would be able to get the point.

Then we have the power of the Morphine Greed of Toei and Saban... XP


Granted, Shinichiro Shirakura was in the documentary The Toys That Made Us in the episode which talked about Power Rangers. Toei, Saban, Disney, and Hasbro (where Toei Animation provided the animation for some of its shows such as the 1980s Transformers cartoon and the first two seasons of G.I. Joe by Sunbow) are probably making the same mistakes now. I think Saban's still the worst offender in regards to overmilking Mighty Morphin' after Toei Ltd. granted him back the rights to Power Rangers. I guess that's why Toei Ltd. even agreed to the contracts with Haim Saban to use the Zyuranger footage for a fee. Toei Ltd. even gave in to the GREEED when they decided to produce the "Zyu2" footage for Saban's exclusive use. Heck, they did the same when Lion Voltron was supposed to come to an end too for World Event Productions. Should we be surprised? 

I criticized Dino Fury with the return of Lord Zedd aside from what I felt was forced diversity. Now, I'm criticizing Donbrothers in part with the avatar powers. We know how Toei Ltd. had its long partnership with Saban, right? Toei Ltd. saw the cash flow in dollars from Saban during the 1990s. Right now, I even heard Hasbro is screwing up. Heck, I'm also hating how HORRIBLE the faces of the Lightning Collection Power Rangers toys are. Bandai America was screwing up for years too. I think Bandai-Namco is also screwing up, especially how I felt Tekken 7 just shot down my hype for it for years. I've felt developing a critical mindset is important in the future of innovation. Critical thinking means making sure that innovation doesn't only discover, define, and develop but it should also DELIVER RESULTS. I feel like Toei Ltd. and its American associates aren't doing much with the fourth D in the innovation cycle these days.


Saban repurchased the Power Rangers rights from Disney in 2011. Toei granted it. Kamen Rider OOO introduced us to the character Kosei Kogami aka the Cake Boss later in 2011. Actor Takashi Ukaji looks like Saban himself. Coincidence? Cake Boss was practically the show's version of Mr. Krabs and the owner of a capital group like the real-life Saban. I guess Saban was practically flattered by it. I still felt Saban did better with Marvel-related adaptations even if I still dislike Power Rangers. I could still rewatch X-Men: The Animated Series and Spiderman: The Animated Series. I still think The Super Mario Bros. Super Show was an interesting show with Saban's involvement. I still felt Saban should've tried to secure the rights of Dragon Quest from Enix and produced a live-action Dragon Quest series during the 1990s. I still feel Toei and Saban just want to keep the money rolling into their pockets from their sides of the fence. Saban makes money and pays royalties. Toei Ltd. gets a share of the profits. 

Speaking of which, one needs to read the history of Toei and Saban in regards to filming. Should I be surprised Tori Matsuzaka admits to low pay as a newbie actor and he was the star of Shinkenger? I dunno if the same happened to Kazunori Inaba while he was Maskman's Takeru? Some cast changes happened during the 1970s to 1980s for some reasons. Not all of them are linked to the greed. Though, I'm still prone to believe that Turboranger wrote off the Three Bouma Generals due to budget constraints over all things. Sun Vulcan had a change in red ranger which I heard was planned since the beginning. I think it's not as controversial as the cast change in Mighty Morphin' Season 2. That alone made me wish Mighty Morphin' just ended as it should've. Instead, that overextension is another reason why I dislike Power Rangers

I guess Donbrothers and Beast Morphers linking to previous seasons is linked to the GREEED. Besides, Toei Ltd. tends to give in to the Greeed. I think it's also the reason why some older Toku shows had some cast members leaving. I think one of the reasons is the greed. Nostalgia does sell, right? 

Hmmmm... now I've ranted my OPINION piece on this one rather angrily. XP

Comments

  1. Saban didn't secure the rights for "I AM AMAZON !" Masked Rider and Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. You may want to ask Shirakura P about "Why Philipines airs PR, instead of Super Sentai". His Twitter name is @cron204.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment