Random Weird Rant: Haruka Kito's Driving Lessons, Toshiki Inoue's Strange Humor, And Nostalgia Hit My Head


I'm more or less "caught up" with Avatar Sentai Donbrothers. I've been the watching the series in very irregulat paces these days. Then again I no longer plan to do episode reviews as blogging is JUST A HOBBY. I realized a few things as 2022 ends. Toei Ltd. did hit the market big in 1993. I did write a post talking about that during Power Rangers' silver anniversary and the same year when Dimensions in Danger kicked in. This week has a very weird side plot where Haruka Kito takes driving lessons. Yup, her auntie who she lives with decided to enroll her to take driving lessons ASAP!

Inoue is also known to revisit old scripts AND add a twist. Inoue was known to have written the X-1 Mask episode in Hikari Sentai Maskman. It was a one-parter that provided a template for two characters - Burai and Gai Yuki. Though, Inoue didn't do much in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. Later, Inoue had two episodes in Mirai Sentai Timeranger. Inoue juggled in between Timeranger and Kamen Rider Kiva - one show was a finale and the other a reboot. Case 14 of Timeranger had a driving episode except it was rather serious. Inoue did have his strange humor in Timeranger when it came to handling the dating scam episode. One episode was good while the other was Inoue trying to be funny. 

I was reminded of a few cartoon episodes before this one. I'm taken back to my college days watching two shows. One was X-Men Evolution where the episode "X-Treme Measures" has Kitty Pryde aka Shadow Cat just turning 18 and wrecking things up. It was also that episode where Spyke had a secondary mutation. The episode's main plot had Spyke slowly becoming more and more monstrous. The side plot was Kitty's bad driving. The recent episode seems to follow that format. The main plot would center on developing the plot of Natsumi Kuromochi and Miho Kijino. We also have Sononi possibly crushing over Tsubasa Inuzaka. The plot still focuses on Tsubasa trying to get Miho back. The plot about the Beastials is still developed. I'm even wondering if Tsubasa can afford to kill Miho. I even wonder how Tyuyoshi Kijino will react. 

I'm also reminded also of the time when Spongebob Squarepants was still watchable. It's those episodes where Spongebob fails his driving exam EVERY TIME. I'm wondering if Donbrothers Haruka is the character of choice for two reasons - she's a woman AND she wears yellow spandex. Spongebob is known to be a yellow character. I also did compare the characters of Spongebob to Engine Sentai Go-onger which I ended up hating after watching Gekisou Sentai Carranger. I even wonder if Inoue was watching Spongebob during his spare time. Maybe, Inoue's daughter? I could imagine that Inoue probably had Spongebob's character in mind. Donbrothers Haruka, like Maskman Haruka, is also wearing yellow spandex. It seems rather intentional if you ask me. I even think Inoue may have watched the X-Men: Evolution episode as well (assuming it has a Japanese dub) and decided to add Spongebob to the equation. 

This side plot also reminds me of Inoue's lowest moments. I enjoyed Kamen Rider Kiva in spite of Inoue having no idea what to do at that point. Still, Inoue did write a good tribute arc in Kamen Rider Zi-O. I do enjoy Kiva but it's just like how I enjoy watching Kamen Rider BLACK RX - I enjoy the shows even with all the glaring flaws. I think Kiva is no masterpiece. Right now, I think it's a show that So Bad It's Good. Can the episode here be considered as such? Inoue does tend to have hit-and-miss humor. I'm also somehow reminded of Old Shame fan fics which I deleted. It's known that I have a very crude sense of humor when I attempt to write comedy. Still, I think Inoue's strange humor here may still be better implemented than mine. At least, Donbrothers Haruka's Spongebob-like plot SAVED THE DAY. Mine's just being silly for the sake of it. 

The final scene though is just weird. Seeing Taro Momoi, Tyuyoshi, and Shinichi Saruhara panicking was something. It's almost as bizarre as the X-Men: Evolution episode with Kitty. Maybe, I could get some conscience since Professor Xavier is a PARAPLEGIC. Professor Xavier isn't all too pleased with Kitty driving him. The boys aren't too willing to ride with Donbrothers Haruka since the Toyota car isn't in good shape. Donbrothers Haruka does manage to somehow drive in reverse. Right now, I don't know if I should be laughing (or not) at that scene. 

Just my random weird thought!

Comments