King-Ohger Episode 11 And More Of My Concerns With The Series

I guess I'm just plain bored so I decided to write this random review. Sure, I'm going to do this very irregularly. I prefer to react to updates than to give them. I was glad that Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger took a radical direction with an RPG-like, non-existent world that take place in Modern Japan yet again. I could say Kamen Rider Saber did give a breath of fresh air by having several events take place in Wonderland even if Modern Japan exists. Here, it takes a big leap from Saber by not having Modern Japan at all. 


How the sixth ranger may affect the story

Right now, we've got a new character named Jeramie Brasserie. This reminds me of how one of Chikyu Sentai Fiveman's villains was intentionally given a FRENCH name - CHEVALIER. In France, a Brasserie is also a type of French restaurant. This reminds me of how the cafe in Kaito Sentai Lupiranger vs. Keisatsu Sentai Patranger was named Cafe Bistrot Jurer. We also had Enter in Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters speak gratuitous French in a show where Tokyo is the Center of the Universe

I did remember showing my concerns about the sixth rangers showing up too early. In the case of Super Sentai - it's an episode earlier (11th episode) instead of how most of them show up in the late tens. I feel that quickly takes away the development of the core team. I'm reminded of how Eric Myers in Power Rangers Time Force showed up in episode 12 instead of a bit later. I kinda had that issue with Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger and Shuriken Sentai Ninninger. I did give Mashin Sentai Kiramager a free pass because the Legacy Virus pandemic caused a temporary hiatus. It had no choice but to catch up on schedule. Rio Komiya was also infected with the first variant of the Legacy Virus back then. 

I did write about whether or not King-Ohger is a celebratory entry. It's not an anniversary per se in the sense that it's not the anniversary of Himitsu Sentai Goranger or an anniversary entry based on number. Instead, we think 30 years since Toei Ltd. got a big chunk of the American market via Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Sure, I dislike Power Rangers but I'm not going to deny that it's been Toei's ticket to America. Then I could recall the time when Toei Ltd. launched Japanese Spiderman in 1978. It would be 45 years old today. I think it's rather intentional that we're having a spider character. Speaking of which, Saban Entertainment did secure a Marvel license sometime after Toei didn't renew theirs. After that, Saban also got a contract with Toei Ltd. to use Super Sentai footage for Power Rangers

The character first appeared in a robe and an iron mask. Maybe, you might think of The Man in the Iron Mask story. The story of the brothers is just one based on the novel and the film of the same name. The Iron Mask later falls off when Jeramy gets the Shugod Trio to unlock it. In my case, I feel like it's also a reference to Doctor Doom from Marvel Comics. Interestingly, the Japanese Spiderman's Professor Monster was an obvious reference to Doctor Doom himself. Was this really intentional? Also, the film The Man in the Iron Mask is celebrating its 25th anniversary with the Knights of Tir Na Nog. It really can't get weirder than that!

Though, I was also thinking is it that hard to find another halfie or white guy who could speak Japanese? I could remember B-Fighter Kabuto had that rare moment of Reuben Langdon as a white actor playing a white character. Masashi Ikeda is a JAPANESE playing an obviously French character. At this point, should the suspension of disbelief be extended? Just think that Shugoddom looks like a Western kingdom but it's too full of Japanese-looking people Well, just be ready to suspend disbelief when watching a superhero show, right? 

How I feel Racules himself is becoming more like General Miwa from Tossho Daimos



The beginning does have King Racules becoming more Obviously Evil than Captain Ryuuya could in Mirai Sentai Timeranger. Heck, the guy who is supposedly protecting humanity from the Bugnarok is also up to his own selfish schemes. However, Racules does seem to lack the Large Ham moments that General Miwa from Daimos has. Though, there are a few comedic imagined scenes that Racules gets into. Anybody who's watched Daimos could relate to how Miwa goes from comedic at one moment but ends up as a Hate Sink at another moment.  


I think Racules wants to be viewed as the hero of their Universe' Earth, Chikyu. He sets up an elaborate funeral for his supposedly dead brother Gira. A mysterious man (actually Jeramie) shows up. Jeramy was the guy who tied up some strings on Gira's coffin. Almost every shot of Racules shows he's really Obviously Evil yet he's got adoring masses. This guy totally wants to steal the spotlight. I have a feeling that not all the Bugnarok are evil. Maybe, there will be good Bugnaroks and Racules might work hard to KILL EVERYONE in the name of Fantastic Racism. 

Now, to talk more about the core team's possible direction


Setting up the perfect plan to announce Gira's return was something. I can't blame Rita for not wanting to participate in the plan. The plan to make Gira a zombie, a cyborg, or even resurrected by the gods is rejected. Himeno does mention an Anime involving Moffun. Yes, Moffun, that stuffed animal that Rita herself has. Rita does eventually scream out like her "mother" Rita Repulsa. Sidenote, Bandora also screamed in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. The only thing missing is Rita to say, "I've got such a headache." in Japanese or get migraines herself. I did laugh at the proposals since it's in a world where science and sorcery work side by side. Gira's return from the dead should be a no-brainer in this kind of world!

Himeno's hair turns red for a reason. I guess that's why actress Erica Murakami's hair isn't dyed for the show like Jacqueline Scislowski did for Power Rangers Beast Morphers. I guess the actress herself dyeing different colors or the wig was an obviously cheaper way to have Himeno have different colors of hair. I guess Himeno changes her hair color depending on her mood. It's one detail that might not need some explanation. 

______

So far, I feel that King-Ohger is really trying new things while revisiting old ideas. I can't be sure where it's going. I feel like the sixth ranger might take a long time before he gets along with the others. I wonder what the writers have planned for Racules as a third wheel. It doesn't seem that Desnarak could be dead and it could be a Doombot for all we know. Hmmmm... 

Comments