King-Ohger 38: The Indomitable/Cute Side Of Rita Kaniska


I think this is one VERY bizarre episode. I wonder what writer Minato Takano or what the producers had in their minds. This episode is Rita-focused and it reveals the sweeter side of actress Yuzuki Hirakawa. This episode features Gokkan's liberation while both Gorma and Minongan are involved. I wonder what Racules' actor Masato Yano has been doing for now? I bet the actor's probably discussing ideas with everyone BTS.


I may prefer KDrama over JDrama but I prefer JPop over KPop. I like JPop vibes in this episode. The opening has a sillier side of Rita wearing a mask. What's going on? The episode almost reminds me of Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger episode 35 but reimagined. 


Gorma does what he does best - MIND-SWAPPING. Criminals and law enforcers have been mind-swapped leading to chaos around Chikyu. I really love the idea since that's one brilliant villain plan. However, Gorma failed to destroy the bodies of the law enforcers presumably due to stricter censorship ever since 2001. It's 2023 and I think the stricter censorship law ain't gonna ease any time soon. I can just expect Super Sentai to evolve as a more child-friendly show than what the 1990s could offer. 


The other former monarchs plan to liberate Gokkan. Gira does issue a smart statement even when he's the idiot. The other monarchs are wondering what has caused Rita to become an idol. Was she brainwashed? The answer is no since it's the cliche for superheroes to pretend to be brainwashed. Super-villains tend to be VERY STUPID to fall for it. 


Right now, there's a clue of Rita's parents. Are they alive or are they dead? Jeramie found the subtext in a Moffun doll. Speaking of parents, I couldn't help but think that Rita might find her mom and dad stuck on some planet. Maybe, her father's serving her mother juice for all we know. Okay, that's my strange imagination based on a bizarre scene in Power Rangers Cosmic Fury. That scene was where Lord Zedd can be seen serving juice to Rita Repulsa. I even want to pretend Emperor Zetto from Ressha Sentai ToQGer is also her older brother. 


Is it me or does Toei like to make fun of a lot of stuff? Rina Ikoma makes her short cameo as Marina Iko - a very meaningful anagram. Heck, what I never realized was that Minato Takano made a cameo in the audience. That reminds me Toshiki Inoue only made a Creator Cameo in Kamen Rider Faiz and Avatar Sentai Donbrothers - both finales. Marina thought that it was a film set. I guess the people of Earth have been watching Toku in some way. Is Kamen Rider now a Fiction Within a Fiction in Super Sentai?  

If there's anything worth pointing out - Super Sentai has a good reason for choosing obvious rubber suits. Sure, it's a live-action show but I guess it's always meant to be cartoony. Speaking of which, I'm reminded of Toei's Zyu2 footage that was used for Primator. Bulk and Skull tried to bait the heroes out with a rubber monster? Even funnier, the same rubber monster became the MOTW. I guess Toei and Saban do know the charm of Super Sentai and Power Rangers also lies with suspension of disbelief. 


I like the interaction between Rita and Himeno. Himeno even presents sketches of Rita's childhood. This almost reminds me of Prince Igam in Hikari Sentai Maskman. Was Rita forced to become another person by her parents? Sorry, but I'll always refer to both Rita and Igam as she. Igam was later revealed to be a woman to the characters. I was baffled at first until I realized Igam's high heels weren't feminine and her body armor hid her feminine features. Rita shows up in a very feminine outfit. She's doing an undercover for a good reason. I'm afraid the rest of the cast just fails to understand her. 


Rita shows off her more feminine side. I enjoy the Moffun Song. I almost wanted her to sing "Dolla! The Song of Witch Bandora!" for obvious pun references. Instead, we get this rather cool song. The audience sees the real Rita for who she is. Rita tried to be a Sheik from The Legend of Zelda one way or another. 


At this point, I wonder why Hirubil has NEVER been given a human actress. Gorma places Hirubil on stage to stir up trouble. I always wanted a female vs. female fight but we don't get it here. Hirubil's pretty much a threat though so I wouldn't mind if the males beat her up as well.


Yanma finds the Honored Rig which was probably taken by Hirubil. Shiokara reminds Yanma that the latter could go to jail for that. However, Yanma now wants to restore his city and free his people. I guess Yanma feels some regret. 


A vision of a lawless world is further shown. The people of Shugoddom under Racules' rule are now becoming greedy. Racules is still a puppet king though. This also causes Gira to find a storybook hidden in Rita's room. I really can't help but feel the show may be taking a darker turn - only to be tamed by newer censorship rules. Hopefully, Racules' backstory can be expanded and maybe give him a redemption story.


What's a Rita episode without her getting a migraine? Well, she does get a migraine and reveals she's working undercover. She attacks Minongan and Gorma in a fit of rage. Rita does mention she found something in Minongan but I wonder what it is. Rita herself gets to reveal more of the real her to the others. I do feel like Igam from Maskman has been part of her characterization.  


It's interesting to see Morfonia act nearly the same way Fumin acted. Yes, that scene when Fumin discovers that Igam is a woman but still chooses to fight alongside Fumin. Morfonia says Rita doesn't need to hide the latter's face near the other rangers. I really must admit the actress is kinda pretty if you ask me. 


Next week will reveal some secrets that the audience are yet to know. I am starting to miss the Megazord battles though. Has a toy sales overload caused this? Is Bandai trying to slow things down or what? I even remember the joke that King-Ohger might be the sequel to Kamen Rider Saber. Before that, Saber was joked to be the sequel of Mystic Knight of Tir Na Nog. Right now, I wonder if we'll get cast members of Saber guesting anytime soon? 

Comments