A Trolling Clip Show With Donbrothers Anyone?


It's been a long time since I didn't do an episode review. Well, this is a mixed rant again. Last year, I practically got exhausted doing Kikou Sentai Zenkaiger episode reviews. Well, I got exhausted doing episode reviews in general. Now, I decide dto poke fun at Donbrothers again. I wonder if I'm really enjoying it or am I just enjoying bashing it? Granted, I still feel that Haruka Kito, like Zoey Reeves of Power Rangers Beast Morphers, is that REDEEMING CHARACTER that should beat up the executives of their respective shows. Though, I feel Toshiki Inoue has given Donbrothers!Haruka better layers than both Zoey and Yoko Usami from Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters in some way. Though, not entirely. 

The Kamen Rider franchise as a show within a show in Donbrothers

The episode begins with a TV set. Donbrothers!Kaito is watching the finale of Kamen Rider Revice. The above scene is just quite funny. How in the world are these guy ever watching Kamene Rider Revice? Is Kamen Rider a show within a show in the Super Sentai continuity. This reminds me of some weird stuff that came before it...  

I may no longer like Power Rangers for PERSONAL REASONS. Though I'd like to mention it that some longtime fans of Power Rangers watching Super Sentai may get some goosebumps. I think one of the overappreciated entries of the Western fanbase is Power Rangers Time Force. This scene makes me LMAO. Did Haim Saban become so ashamed of his failure he turned Mashed Rider into a show within a show? It's from "Quantum Quest". So much for the FAILED three-partner where Mashed Rider had a team-up with Mighty Morphin' before it was launched as a FAILED TV series.

Mashed Rider is an interesting cycle of failure. Its source material, Kamen Rider BLACK RX, caused the hiatus for 11 YEARS. Yes, it was that long. The 1990s had three Kamen Rider movies but not a single series was produced. The Metal Hero franchise got focused. After Mobile Cop Jiban, we had Tokkei Winspector up to Tokosou Exceedraft to form the Rescue Police Trilogy. However, in 1998, the final episode of Robotack practically sealed the fate of the series. 1999 presented Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive which gave some throwbacks to the Rescue Police series. Later, BLACK RX only gets redeemed because its adaptation was MUCH WORSE. Though, that never stopped the creation of two Kotaros in 2009 (for Kamen Rider Decade) due to BLACK becoming the more popular one. Who can blame the audience anyway? 

Why in the world did Toei Ltd. decide to let a FAILURE get adapted by Haim Saban only to generate a bigger failure? Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger may not be that good but it's not a commercial failure. Zyuranger does get appreciated but only less because there are other shows better than it in Japan. One can ditch Mighty Morphin' and still think Zyuranger isn't as great as it seems to be. One could think of Gosei Sentai Dairanger or Chojin Sentai Jetman as two greater shows. Heck, Bakuryuu Sentai Abaranger is way better too. BLACK RX did get vindicated ONLY YEARS LATER because of Saban's failed adaptation and I think Decade must be MUCH WORSE. The difference was no hiatus after Decade. At least, Toei knew what to do that time around!

The crossovers between Kamen Rider and Super Sentai happened thrice. The Shinkenger arc was most likely because Decade was truly a friend in need of a boost. The events had it that the World of Shinkenger is a world without Kamen Riders. Talk about the weird stuff in fiction where television sets are a monitor to another world. Abaranger had a weird episode where Koitaro got FISHED OUT of the television set. Maybe, you can talk about the Jimmy/Timmy Power Hour in Nickelodeon all before that station sank to a whole new level of low. 

I guess that's what's going on. Later, Shuriken Sentai Ninninger and Kamen Rider Drive had a crossover in reverse. The Ninningers were in the risk of getting deleted because they're considered an anomaly in the World of Drive. Okay, I'm still going to keep yapping on and on how much I think Decade and Ninninger are terrible for me. Drive has been a good series so far. The crossover did experiment on the reverse. 

I always feel it's better than what Ressha Sentai ToQGer vs. Kamen Rider Gaim could go. That crossover movie still drives me to sleep while I enjoy Gaim as a TV series. The movie was a bridge for that even awful Heisei vs. Showa movie. Ugh, that movie was totally not my cup of tea. Though, it might because I find most Showa era Kamen Rider series to be not my cup of tea. I still think Kamen Rider Super-1 is downright boring in contrast to Kamen Rider Fourze. Speaking of Fourze, I still think the show did manage to do something with a high schooler Kamen Rider than what Mashed Rider could ever do. I can enjoy ToQGer now but my mind hasn't budged one bit. I still think ToQGer vs. Gaim is forever sandwiched by not just what came before it but what came AFTER IT.

Image result for tsuaka marvelous

I'm still thinking about the NON-CANON (and fortunately discontinued) Super Hero Taisen movies. I'm sure glad that Toei Ltd. will never hire me as one of its writer or it'd require a huge budget. I feel the writing of Shoji "Patrick Star" Yonemura is one terrible, TERRIBLE mess. I still can't get over the idiotic sob stories that the movie had to offer. Okay, I'm NO professional writer which is obvious by the way I write, right? I still think that somehow dialogue in the shows prove that the movies are NOT CANON and they're supposedly separate universes. 

So, what really happened during the Dengekitai JAKQ vs. Himutsu Sentai Goranger ending part? Kamen Rider V3 was mentioned but was that all retconned? Did Toei Ltd. decide to retcon the whole movie as non-canon since most VS. Movies are obviously not canon? I feel the VS. Movies are like the Dragon Ball Z movies - a distraction before the next real storyline hits. The movies continue without any real continuity either. I guess it's always what it is - a big entertaining non-canon film. Though, I'll always hate Super Hero Taisen as a film. However, I'm still 100% open to it becoming a video game series instead. That's as long as Banpresto and Bandai will AGREE to give English-translated versions. Heck, I feel it's a missed opportunity that it never became a video game series. I mean, 2023 will be the 30th annivesary of Mighty Morphin' - the very year when Toei Ltd. entered the American market. It's also the same year when Toei Ltd. and Saban Entertainment tend to show up the GREED.

By then, I guess that Kamen Rider might be a show within a show after all. The idea was probably not that used in Super Sentai except right now. I think Mirai Sentai Timeranger could've actually had a scenario where Lila was watching an episode of Kamen Rider BLACK RX making fun of it. It could be funny if the Shinkengers were watching Decade before the crossover happened. The episode really made me think of some things that could've been before. 

So, are we REALLY having the same Kaito or not?


I was wondering did the members of TV Tropes make a mistake or what? Granted, TV Tropes is a coalition of tropers who even write their own PERSONAL REVIEWS AND RANTS. So, there's bound to be mistakes. I think the Donbrothers page pertaining to ALLIES has an interesting tidbit:

The owner of the café Donbura, where Haruka works part-time. He provides support for the Donbrothers, while also acting as an administrator to monitor their Kibi-Points. His main goal seems to revolve around collecting all of the Sentai/Avataro Gears from the Hitotsu-Ki.

He is established to be a separate character from the Kaito Goshikida of Kikai Sentai Zenkaiger. 

You may even find these stuff that could contradict the clip show:

Alternate Self: He is not the same Kaito from Zenkaiger, despite looking like him.

Contrasting Sequel Main Character: Setchan was a very loyal ally to the Zenkaigers and acted as their strategist, telling them which Sentai Gears to use in battle. Kaito is far more cryptic and only directly helps the Donbrothers when they absolutely need it, prefering to act as their ally from the shadows.

Hero of Another Story: His lines that he was born to be a hero and fought as one implies he had his own adventures as Zenkaizer Black prior to getting involved with the Donbrothers. The movie even implies he has his own version of the Zenkaigers he fought alongside. Episode 26 even implies he might actually just be the same Kaito from Zenkaiger, or at least that his variant shared many identical adventures.

I think this is where SOME writers on TV Tropes could be on the wrong side of the fence. I feel like they should try to name some sources for reviews all the more. It's good that some do that. I feel they still need to at least get the source to confirm if we're having another Kaito. That's why I was writing Donbrothers!Kaito to differentiate him from Zenkaiger!Kaito. I was wondering is this some interesting retcon or what? An interesting trivia is how BLACK and Tokosou Exceedraft were originally planned to be their own continuity. However, both series ended up getting retroactively placed into different continuities. BLACK was given its FAILED sequel BLACK RX. Exceedraft's final three episodes had Commander Masaki from Winspector and Solbrain return as a guest star. Those scenes made me wonder why in the world didn't Hiroshi Miyauchi appear in GoGoFive to be Commissioner Inui? Did Donbrothers get the same treatment? 

This is where I feel things could go wrong. First, I felt Donbrothers having been a post-anniversary season should avoid all the throwbacks. I even feel like I might transmit whatever negative feelings I had with Beast Morphers to this show for similar reasons. If we're really having the same Kaito all throughout - I might just say SCREW IT! Fortunately, the series may not yet be getting a scene where either Geki from Zyuranger or even Tyuyoshi Kaijo from Goranger will return. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if an aged Tyuyoshi appears as a guest star. I'm just glad that there's no scene (hopefully) of the Akihabara City Mayor warning that Kibi Points were sought out by the Black Cross up to last year's Tojitendo. Fortunately, there's none of that and we're proceeding to a summer episode. Yes, you heard that - there's NO SUMMER BREAK for Super Sentai.

I feel that Donbrothers can be a weird series. That's especially with Inoue's weird sense of humor. Who can't forget the COOKING BATTLE in Kamen Rider Blade? Who can't forget how Inoue also wrote that dating scam episode in Mirai Sentai Timeranger? I wonder how Inoue will share considering that it's been several episodes and we haven't had a secondary writer yet. 

Comments