Toei's Got That Dekaranger Hype


Tokosou Sentai Dekaranger may be that heavily-celebrated season. Heck, it even has a 20th-anniversary movie! Some Power Rangers fans might get defensive if I told them there are older seasons better than Dekaranger. I might hear, "Are you kidding me? Dekaranger was that popular in Japan!" with evidence thrown at my face with full velocity. Dekaranger premiered in 2004 and it was also the first Super Sentai to get a complete fansub. Why would anyone want to watch a show where they can't understand the language? The subtitles built that bridge and There was probably much rejoicing when Dekaranger finally got an official DVD release. 

I can't deny I like Dekaranger. However, I began seeing it as an overrated classic after watching other shows. The now-defunct but still remembered Metal Hero series gave hard-to-replicate classics. The 1990s gave us Tokkei Winspector, Tokyu Shirei Solbrain, Tokosou Exceedraft, and my favorite Tokosou Robo Janperson. Watching Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive also made me think Dekaranger is an overrated classic. GoGoFive doesn't only make me like Chikyu Sentai Fiveman less but also Dekaranger. GoGoFive belonged to the pre-2001 era and had more liberty for shock value. 

Toei began milking on Dekaranger even in the 2010s...


I'm getting tired of Super Sentai reunion movies. Sure, there's money in nostalgia but we're not getting any younger. What's Toei doing with this and that? Toei even approved the production of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers: Once and Always. Yes, I watched the movie which took a darker twist in the beginning. I criticized the Neo-Saban era Power Rangers for relying too much on the 1990s instead of moving forward. Fortunately, Super Sentai isn't throwing back to previous seasons except during anniversaries. A 10 years later movie was created and I find it funny. Jasmine marrying that kid Hikaru felt rather weird. The plot was even carried over into the Gavan/Dekaranger movie in 2017.


In 2017, Dekaranger got a 15th-year tribute. Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger never shied away from trying to fit everything. I hope Toei doesn't retcon things by saying that the black hole took the Kyurangers back in time centuries before the show started! Kyuranger's 18th episode created a short crossover promoting the Darker and Edgier Ucchu Keiji Gavan vs. Tokosou Sentai Dekaranger movie. Gavan gets dragged into Super Sentai and the first was with Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger. The presumably non-canon movie was entertaining and it led to the Kyuranger vs. Space Squad movie. Along the way, the messy Super Hero Taisen franchise was thankfully unplugged

And it's getting the hype again 20 years later... aside from a movie!


I may be slow-pacing the recent series Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger. I think that the International Space Agency may be a tribute to the Special Police Dekaranger organization. Oh boy, I'm getting ready for possible retcons or crazy fan theories (and I'm making one myself now). Fans may connect the ISA to the SPD or say that Shirabe herself is a trainee by Doggie Kruger. I still love engaging in the guilty pleasure of trying to fit all Super Sentai series into one timeline

And here's what's causing me to write this post...


This is one weird thing going on. Ayumi Kinoshita is now a 42-year-old woman and what's with this plot? Is Yanma falling for Jasmine? This is probably meant to tease some idea? I believe actor Aoto Watanabe confessed to liking Jasmine as a child. I had Super Sentai crushes too. I don't like Power Rangers but Kimberly was practically my crush in those days. Though, isn't Jasmine already married to Hikaru? If so, there's the possibility it's a time travel. Honestly, I can't believe Ayumi's now 42 but she still looks really pretty. Lisa Komaki's in her 70s but she's one pretty old lady!

It's probably some time travel shenanigan that caused this. If this is meant to be non-canon then this Jasmine isn't married to Hikaru. Most Super Sentai crossover films are really meant to be non-canon. A careful analysis will show most of them contradict the actual continuities. It looks like I'll just have to wait and see. 

Comments

  1. Here's my question to you, Sean: Will Yuuto Uemura reprise his role as Hikaru Hiwatari in both DekaRanger and TonboOhger Spinoff and in Fireball Booster? He's 30 years old and a voice actor now. Imagine if Hikaru sees his wife Marika "Jasmine" Reimon-Hiwatari flirting with King Yanma Gust/TonboOhger, his heart will be broken and want to fight against the N'kospa King. Will there be a Reiwa Love love triangle ala Ryuu Tendou/Red Hawk, Kaori Rokumeikan-Tendou/White Swan and the late Gai Yuuki/Black Condor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Join the excitement with Penguin Book Writers! While we're passionate about writing, our community thrives on diverse interests like Toei's Dekaranger. Let's keep the hype alive together!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment