Why I Think 2015-2018 Had Two Beautifully Pointless And Two Beautifully Innovative Sentai Seasons

Just because I had been a longtime viewer of Super Sentai doesn't mean I won't be pointing out its weaknesses. I would want to think I'm showing tough love. I remembered writing a crazy rant about Power Rangers becoming beautifully pointless. Now, it's time for another crazy rant for the sake of a crazy rant from me. Just remember this is just my opinion, okay?

How I felt Ninninger and Zyuohger were beautifully pointless

I don't want to deny that my preferences with both old and new shifts a lot and I mean a LOT. Sometimes, the best is found in the old and sometimes the best is found in the new. So I don't care only if something is old school or new school. What I care about is if you can give me a good story. Sadly, I think these two seasons eventually start to sour up in my mind.

The first one has to be Ninninger. I decided to check it out for myself. The real problem can be linked more to Kento Shimoyama and maybe Naomi Takebe. Takebe's not really that good with Super Sentai but tends to do well in Kamen Rider. What was so sad to learn was that the toy sales were really below expected. They only had 7.8 billion yen in sales according to the Tokusatsu News Network. What really amuses me is that it takes something as stupid as Ninja Steel to make this show look "better". For one, I could dare say Takaharu is nowhere near as stupid as Victor and Monty plus there's no summer break. On its own, it tends to be beautifully pointless. It's really very easy for me to say "Ninninger is better because the girls are hotter!" Fuuka and Kasumi may be prettier than Hayley and Sarah but that didn't really do anything to toy sales.

I decided to watch Zyuohger because actress Haruka Tateishi looks like Taiwanese actress Tammy Chen. I always exclaimed at how pretty Amu's human form was. Sela's human form acted by Miki Yanagi is kinda attractive too. But I could really think how the show ends up not being in par or it's near a hot mess. At first, the show seemed okay until Misao arrived to be such a whiner. I would also say that the moment Gokaiger kicks in - the Zyuohgers can be eclipsed. Gokaiger still has better cast, better mecha, better writing, and better effort. Zyuohger just felt like, "Oh great, another anniversary!" I feel like the Zyuohger girls are hotter than the Gokaiger girls. However, Gokaiger as a show is seriously still more interesting. So much for me lying that I found Zyuohger more interesting huh? 

Why I think Kyuranger and Lupinranger vs. Patranger are beautifully innovative

I would admit that I don't really find Tsukasa Myojin, Hammy, and Umika Kudo all that hot. Maybe, I'm still blinded by the 2000s hot girls whose actresses are married by now. I could still think of how much I was too superficially fond of Nanami, Ranru, Jasmine, Sakura, and Mako back last decade. Then I think about the late 2010s with two more series namely Kyuranger and Lupinranger vs. Patranger. I would even say that these girls aren't as hot as the Ninninger girls and Zyuohger girls. I even feel thankful that I don't find these girls that hot because it helps me do what I need to do - FOCUS on the storyline! Some of my favorite Super Sentai seasons don't have girls I find attractive (such as Changeman or Flashman) but I can enjoy them for the well-developed plot! I don't even find most Kamen Rider girls hot but I can certainly enjoy most new school Kamen Rider! You may find these girls hot (and I find them cute) but I would never call the shows they're in as beautifully pointless.

I'd dare say Kyuranger in spite of its weaknesses is still a lightyear ahead of Zyuohger. The series was actually taking place in an alternate universe ruled by Jark Matter. It further explored the multiverse concept. I sometimes feel Lucky can be that unfairly hammered way too many times. Personally, I still think Lucky is better than Daigo Kiryu of Kyuranger. Kyuranger is pretty much giving me what I wanted for some time - a space-themed Super Sentai for this day and age. The toy sales were pretty impressive which may have caused lower toy sales for Lupinranger vs. Patranger. The series may not be perfect but it ambitiously took space into a whole new level. There was the planetary travel needed before they liberate the Earth in the year 2317. How's that for a huge leap? I don't blame fans who love the toys. I feel young watching the show's mecha. However, I don't feel like the show entirely appeals to my inner child even if the show's mecha does. For me, a Kyuranger rewatch is more welcome.

I think Lupinranger vs. Patranger for a series can have an imbalance. Personally, I'm a fan of the show. I also would admit that the rather dumb Keiichiro happens to be my favorite character. The show itself was trying to take a more daring direction. I even felt that maybe, just maybe, Lupinranger vs. Patranger may provide a draft that may replace Super Sentai sooner or later. The show featured two rival teams vs. the Ganglers. It's anti-heroes vs. heroes. What still bothers me though is was the ending meant to troll the audiences or prepare for future crossovers? I feel the ending isn't really that good either. Toy sales for this show weren't good either which is probably a result of a surplus in Kyuranger toys. I wonder is there a surplus in its toys as of late? Then again I don't find the toys for this show that appealing. Kyuranger's toys tend to get the inner child in me. This show doesn't appeal to my inner child at all. Somehow, it suffers from Timeranger's and maybe even Go-Busters' age gap scenario - praised by older fans but not by the children fans. Though I find myself still liking Kyuranger better than this show!

What would be interesting to know is that Kyuranger never had a crossover with Zyuohger. Instead, it had a tongue twister of a crossover with Lupinranger vs. Patranger. Misao did appear but was treated rather insignificant. Did the people behind the movie have low regard for Zyuohger? I don't claim to have the answers. Somehow, it's not even explained why Kyuranger didn't have a crossover with Lupinranger. One can still see that even if Super Sentai got "rebooted" yet Go-Busters had a crossover with Gokaiger. Was it trying to give crossovers a break or what? Then again anniversary celebration seasons tend not to have crossovers with their predecessors. Boukenger never had a crossover with Magiranger, Gaoranger never had a crossover with Timeranger in contrast to Zyuohger having a crossover with Ninninger. Hmmm... leaves room for thought huh? 

Comments

  1. "Ninninger" debuted in 2015, not 2016, so it should read "2015-2017".

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment