How I Felt "Go-Busters" Had A Huge Impact With The Power Rangers Community

 

It's no mistake that I'm no fan of Power Rangers. Okay, I tried to like it back then when it was what took over the timeslot instead of Super Sentai. Though, I always remained puzzled as to why Kamen Rider still aired in the Philippines but not Super Sentai. Right now, I feel like writing this new ramble. I feel that Go-Tokumei Sentai Busters is truly a Super Sentai entry that had a huge impact on the Power Rangers community.  The digital age then allowed Power Rangers fans to slowly get fansubs of Super Sentai which I heard started with Tokusou Sentai Dekaranger then more shows after it followed. It was quite difficult to find subs for older seasons. Though, I also theorize that many Power Rangers fans prefer any Super Sentai after Mirai Sentai Timeranger for being considerably lighter and softer. I guess stuff like Burai's death in Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger is somewhat too heavy to bear. Meanwhile, stuff like how Dekaranger had Doggie survive his supposed death is much more welcome. 

Though, there was also an attempt to return to darker and edgier after two anniversary seasons. Ninpou Sentai Hurricanger had a MASSACRE at the beginning of the series. Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger actually killed off Rio and Mele rather than let them live to tell the tale. Go-Busters which is considerably more serious. I'll probably never stop comparing Go-Busters to Power Rangers RPM. There are already common elements such as the use of computer technology, a sentient virus for the enemy (the Messiah Virus is very similar to Venjix), the show's version of Tenaya-7 in Escape, and there's a hint early on that somehow, Go-Busters was supposed to take place in a post-apocalyptic world. I guess rumors of 2012 being the end of the world made the production team reject the idea. Ironically, Kyukyu Sentai GoGoFive was able to have an apocalyptic finale in 2000 A.D. - another year where some idiots believe the world would end.

One may notice several Power Rangers elements. All the mecha are called MEGAZORDS. The phrase "It's Morphin' Time" was used for the sequence. The same phrase was used in Power Rangers Beast Morphers as well. The Go-Busters had their civilian superpowers as a result of DNA altering from an event years ago. The idea of civilian superpowers for each ranger though was also taken from Choshinsehi Flashman when five children grew up in a lost galaxy. Power Rangers SPD also had an explanation behind why the rangers had their civilian superpowers. In this case, the Go-Busters are given specific weaknesses. They also have their shades similar to Power Rangers Jungle Fury

Granted, Yasuko Kobayashi was the head writer of Go-Busters. Kobayashi was the head writer of the Shinkenger arc in Kamen Rider Decade. I guess the producers were impressed and decided to let Kobayashi handle a series full of Power Rangers references. I also remembered throwing a few Power Rangers jokes in Samurai Sentai Shinkenger such as calling Ryuosuke the show's version of Billy, Mako the show's version of Kimberly, or how Genta is Skull's son with a Japanese woman. Heck, Shinkenger even had an episode that had a Bulk-type character. Kobayashi wasn't the writer though. Not surprisingly, Kobayashi and Judd Lynn are fan-favorite writers too. Lynn even admitted he was a fan of Go-Busters. Lynn would later be the writer of Beast Morphers. Not surprisingly, Lynn was also the head writer of the adaptation of Super Sentai where Kobayashi was either the head writer or a major contributor. I wonder if Kobayashi will go to Morphicon. 

For all of that, I felt that Power Rangers fans practically got invited to watch more of Super Sentai. I guess the decline of the Neo-Saban era is one thing. I can't help but laugh at the bad reviews written about most of the entries of the Neo-Saban era. Maybe, only Power Rangers Dino Charge got spared though I ended up disliking it along with Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger. Sure, I understand how fans can like both shows for the amazing stunts (but never as good as Zyuranger) that both sides of the world had. However, I felt neither show gave me the story I wanted so I'm not rewatching either. Power Rangers Ninja Steel was even worse than the already lackluster Shuriken Sentai Ninninger. TBH, Ninninger is only better than Ninja Steel SURFACE-WISE. Otherwise, Ninninger is one season I wouldn't bother to rewatch. Both shows' action scenes for both the main cast and stuntmen aren't anything to praise. It's unlike how Hurricanger and Power Rangers Ninja Storm did what they could with the stunts. Sure, it's not as great as Ninja Sentai Kakuranger but still they did great. 

I guess the reason why Hasbro decided to pick Go-Busters wasn't just the budget. I think it's all because they felt Go-Busters needed a tribute in the form of Beast Morphers. Okay, it's no secret that I ended up thinking it's not enjoyable. Then again, I didn't enjoy Ryusoulger either. Though, I felt that Beast Morphers not having a f***boy like Canalo somehow made it a little bit more tolerable. Other than that, I felt Beast Morphers' not being so self-contained was a weakness. Beast Morphers even gives me further reason to hit the going Avatar Sentai Donbrothers too. I still think both Zoey and Yoko redeem their respective shows. A sad fact that both Zoey and Yoko are probably stuck in not-so-good projects. Still, they make the shows watchable. 

I think Toei Ltd. really needs to start to make Super Sentai (and all their Toku franchises) more open to the world market. The Power Rangers fans are seeing more of the source material from Toei Ltd. - the very company responsible for their favorite show. Their official Youtube channel should have English subtitles and stop making it region-restrictive for ALL CONTENT. I could also say that Go-Busters may have unexpectedly bridged the gap further. Sure, it's that serious and Beast Morphers isn't. Still, I guess the fans of Power Rangers were more than pleased with the show. I guess it's not as serious as Timeranger which may have caused some Power Rangers fans to pick Shinkenger as Kobayashi's Magnum Opus. I guess it's more than time to bridge the gap between East and West, right? 

Comments

  1. The reason why Toku Toei releases were slow, it's because of "each show and film is a separate licence". And a myriad of copyrights with these shows, including the shows Hasbro/eOne owns. This video will explain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtvKYGYzWg0

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment