Them Super Sentai Fanservice-y Pool Or Beach Episodes


There are times when Super Sentai has its SUMMER EPISODES. True, we didn't have it in Kiramager because the Legacy Virus pandemic was at its peak. I pretty much understood why Kiramager never had a beach episode. Zenkaiger had a "beach episode". There are also the short Super Sentai summer movies (such as how Boukenger's had Natsuki in a bikini). This one has it in late summer and we had a rather conservative scene with Haruka Kito. Okay, I can't recall them all. Granted, I've seen almost all old school Super Sentai entries and I've seen almost every new one as well. It would be normal for me to forget some of them. 

Remembering some 1970s to 1980s pool or beach episodes



As said, I wouldn't be able to tackle them all or remember them all. Though, I found the most memorable are those when fight scenes get integrated. I could raise up my childhood ones which had Bioman and Maskman beach episodes.

Bioman episode 27 features Doctor Man's nightmarish plot using mechanical spiders. The two is under the mercy of Spider Kans who's referred to as Spider-Sama. The nightmare of where people get encased in Doctor Man's articial webbing and the micro-spiders killing people WAS something. Though, it began with a beach scene featuring both Hikaru and Jun in swimwear. They did get suspicious as to why the town was SO VACANT even if it was supposedly a holiday. I guess this is summer vacation, right?

Maskman episode 24 had a summer vacation plot. Yes, it was that episode when Prince(ss) Igam planned to turn humans into monsters for whatever reasons. The following Maskman episode ended up having Akira join a false tournament. Some scenes were filmed at the Shaboten Park. It was a bit of a fanservice for the ladies too since both men wore swimming briefs instead of swimming shorts. Hmmm... I guess too bad that Shinkenger never tried to have Shinkenger!Takeru, Ryunosuke, Mako, and Kotoha and all in swimwear huh? 

Dynaman did have some weird episodes too. It almost fits in Michael Bay's tropes a lot. The beach bikini battle between Rei and Princess Chimera is just plain FUNNY. Later on, an episode had a TOPLESS CHIMERA. That kind of scene was probably too controversial even if Chimera covered her breasts. I was already an adult when I saw it though. 

The 1990s era did a contrast between Super Sentai and Power Rangers in that regard

Haim Saban did get the green light from Toei Ltd. last 1993 after several failed attempts. The late Stan Lee wnated to adopt Sun Vulcan but also failed. Margaret Loesch of Fox had to work things out. Eventually, 1993 was also the year of Jurassic Park. I guess Toei Ltd. saw all the money pouring in (via Saban's mandatory royalties) so they decided to allow Zyuranger to be remade for the American audience. Yeah, that's why I don't call Power Rangers even when my dislike for it is way too blatant to be denied. 



Super Sentai did have some beach episodes during the 1990s - stuff that were most likely not allowed in a TV-Y7-FV rating. Dairanger had a scene of Rin in a swimsuit (which was kinda surprising they didb't put her in a bikini). Ohranger had a beach bikini battle. Carranger had a bikini episode as well. Megaranger had Chisato IN A BIKINI and like isn't the character UNDERAGED for that? Hmmm... but still that was a real distraction, isn't it? 


Mighty Morphin' did have an episode where the rangers were on the beach. Kimberly wore a bikini top but I guess TV-Y7-FV censors can't permit a full bikini body huh? Though, we did have Daphne in a BIKINI in one episode of The Scooby Doo and Scrappy Doo show. It was that episode when there was the Seawood Monster. I still wonder how in the world did that get past the censors? Maybe, some people can also remember Baroness in G.I. Joe in a tanning bikini in one episode. I guess the standards are different for animated women and live women huh? 

Quite a bizarre note AFTER Timeranger

Censorship did considerably rise after Timeranger. We never saw swimsuit episodes for certain seasons. Though, Gaoranger didnh't shy away from a topless Shirogane who might be considered as Mr. Fanservice for that one particular scene. Sae saw Shirogane bathing. Then we had Hurricanger episode 26 where both Wendinu and Furaibijo were in BIKINIS. I find it unusualthat Nanami never flaunted her figure while her actress Nao Nagasawa did gravure for some time. Though, Nanami was more fortunate not to see any naked man while swimming like Megumi in Liveman did. 

There were some summer movies with fan services. The Abaranger summer movie had Ranru get into a bikini with the guys. It's pretty weird how we never had a gravure episode for Dekaranger. Though, it might be good since I feel Jasmine tends to distract us from why Dekaranger is a good show. Boukenger had a pool scene in its summer movie with Natsuki (though I wished it were Sakura) in a bikini. There wasn't anything much to talk about. Even funnier, I still feel it's funny that we never saw a swimwear episode for Shinkenger. I just love to rant about how Shinkenger has both eye candy and plot in contrast to Megaforce


I realy find this topless scene from Goseiger to be rather out-of-place. Super Sentai was getting more censorship after Timeranger. How in the world did Moune and Eri being topless (but breasts not seen) ever SLIP PAST the censors? Sure, we can't have that kind of scene in Megaforce. I still find it stupid how the bikini top flying off was ever added or how it even got past the censors. Didn't Japan's censorship get HIGHER by then? I think it's plain BAD WRITING to do so. Maybe, they were hoping for higher ratings from an older audience? If so, I think it'd failed and maybe parental complaints got higher. I mean, we NEVER had bikini tops falling off before, or maybe not. Good thing that Megaforce didn't try to pull this RIDICULOUS STUNT on Emma and Gia or face censorship problems. 

The beach episodes seem to be cut short for some time. I felt Gokaiger and later Go-Busters not having a beach episode was a HUGE PLUS. We practically never had a fanservice-y episode in Kyoryuger. ToQGer has every valid reason as we know they're all children in the bodies of adults. Ninninger is well I could also care less about it. Zyuohger also tried to avoid it and I think it's good not to have it. Kyuranger even cut off the chance to see Hammy in a bikini. We never had a bikini episode in Lupinranger vs. Patranger which I think is GOOD. We never got to see a beach episode for Kiramager either due to the Legacy Virus at its peak. If there were beach scenes - the skin exposure were kept minimal. I guess censorship got higher again, right? I think it'd be good in the long run so the plot can be focused. I even think it's good that Kohaku Shida wasn't asked to film a bikini scene as of late. 

This also reminds me of why I even regret checking out Megaforce for the FORGETTABLE eye candy. I still feel that eye candy can be memorable even without the fanservice-y episodes. Instead, it's best to focus on the plot. I guess that's why I'd still rewatch Zyuranger over Mighty Morphin' any day. Kimberly may be prettier than Mei IMHO. However, Zyuranger had a definite start and a definite end. I still feel also another reason why I dislike Power Rangers was how Mighty Morphin' overextended. I also felt that the whole Zordon Arc wasn't my type of storytelling. Then again, I still remember that Power Rangers exists and Toei Ltd. is also part of the "blame", right? As for me, I think these episodes can work IF it works into the plot. Otherwise, if it's just ratings, forget it! 

Pretty much, this is just another nostalgic post!

Comments