"Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters" And Its Possible Vindication By History

This year hits the 10th anniversary of Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. I guess it's time to give Go-Busters a WELL-DESERVED tribute. I was thinking about how I was pretty much in the closet about how I felt about the show. I'd dare say I have that bad habit of listening too much to fan opinion or not listening at all to suit my needs, right? I feel Go-Busters deserves some vindication by history. I feel that just because a certain someone dislikes it that I should dislike it. Now, on for the Go-Busters' to get Vindicated By History. 

WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD! 

I read through Henshin Grid where the webmaster wrote a theoretical insight. Meanwhile, it was something when Dryed Mangoez's webmaster Jeff wrote a rather positive review for the series. Later on, it was followed where Jeff  actually wrote a bad review for Beast Morphers. What was the whole thing with it? I guess this was a series that was probably well-liked by older fans but not by the younger fans. Yasuko Kobayashi, its main writer, was also the writer of Mirai Sentai Timeranger - a series that was probably too dark for the kiddos but was well-enjoyed by older Super Sentai fans. Yeah, I'll admit that it actually GOT DIFFICULT to watch Super Sentai after Go-Busters

Why I felt Go-Busters was originally overshadowed or underappreciated

I guess it's hard to let go for the hype of the "greatest Super Sentai ever" namely Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger, right? Well, it's very tempting to think that the show is the greatest Super Sentai series or one "became an expert" watching it. Gokaiger was a big celebration bringing old stars back when possible. I could say that after ten years - it's still worth a rewatch. I think the reunion movie was truly worth a watch especially with big names like Jun Yamasaki and Metal Yoshida acting as villains. I feel that people were so hyped up with Gokaiger that Go-Busters felt like starting all over again.

It's pretty much stepping out of the comfort zone - that's until Kyoryuger. The show was seemingly a reboot of the Super Sentai franchise. Just think about it how Kamen Rider also had a reboot such as when Kamen Rider Kuuga came out or when Kamen Rider Zero-One (which also created its own Venjix in the form of the Ark) was the first Reiwa era Kamen Rider. Go-Busters started to go a bit simpler with lesser mecha, not so many collectibles, and a more serious tone than usual. However, I don't think any of the Super Sentai series after Timeranger that are serious to be that serious. I still think Chojuu Sentai Liveman and Hikari Sentai Maskman are more serious than Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger and Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger. Well, you know the raise in censorship, right?

The first thing that came into my head while watching Go-Busters was Power Rangers RPM. RPM took a radical direction by actually causing a post-apocalyptic series where the Venjix Virus took over the world. I still wish Go-Busters still took that direction though I think circumstances prevented it. The rumors that the world will end in 2012 may have prevented that. The Messiah Virus was pretty much the show's own version of Venjix, both took a body and got defeated, and both had a female servant. I still think Enter himself would've probably managed to betray Venjix or even menace the RPM Rangers before they'll inevitably defeat him.

I think a return to Darker and Edgier might not be a very welcome treat. I could agree with some people who say that the Go-Busters main cast can be stiff-faced. I guess people were too used to the vibrancy that Samurai Sentai Shinkenger had. Last year's Gokaiger was so vibrant. Sure, Basco was a menacing villain BUT Gokaiger is a fun show. However, Gokaiger still feels like, "Let's have fun! Let's celebrate." I guess that's why rumors that Gai Ikari will die stayed as rumors. I doubt it that Gai Ikari was also planned to die either. I'll never forget how I overreacted saying, "Gai Ikari, please don't leave us so so soon like Gai Yuki did!" I feel that the show may have had adults liking it. I bet people never expected that Toei Ltd. would try a serious entry after another anniversary. Yup, try to notice how it went after Hyajakuu Sentai Gaoranger, Gougou Sentai Boukenger, and Gokaiger. They were all succeeded by serious ones.

However, unlike Hurricanger and Gekiranger - there were less collectibles. I felt like children were still enjoying the toys that Hurricanger and Gekiranger had to offer. But for Go-Busters? It seemed that the lack of merchandise was probably another down for the franchise. I think Bandai probably got exhausted at that point after all the toys Gokaiger had to offer. I guess Bandai and Toei Ltd. wanted to focus on lesser toys. Personally, I like most of the mecha designs and I love how simplistic Go-Busters' appeal can be. I think that Gokaiger toys had a huge surplus. I think the same happened with Kaito Sentai Lupinranger vs. Keisatsu Sentai Patranger as to why the toy sales weren't as good. I bet there was a huge demand for Gokaiger toys that Bandai overproduced resulting in economies of scale. Maybe, some people were buying at a discount and the Go-Busters toys, being newly released, were also quite pricey. I think there was a reasonable demand but with a shorter supply - prices will go up. 

What I felt caused the vindication of the show years later

Granted, TV Tropes has had its members making mistakes so it's expected there could be some UNINTENDED ones. Now, it's time to think if this one if was indeed REALLY TRUE:

Vindicated by History: The season has enjoyed a resurgence in popularity for the same reasons people derided it at first (being too different), especially from Kamen Rider fans and people disappointed with Kyoryuger, ToQger, and Ninninger. Further proof of Go-Busters' vindication was observed when the announcement of Power Rangers: Beast Morphers was met with much rejoicing.

So, I guess that there are really some Super Sentai series I believe got Vindicated by History overtime. I can't tell if the writer of the article was really right about that. People on TV Tropes tend to have people open an account and they too need to be scrutinized from time to time like myself. I heard Ressha Sentai ToQGer did get a success. ToQGer even won a WELL-DESERVED award on Railroad Day. However, I still feel it's not the greatest show ever or that there's hardly a middle ground for the show. I think ToQGer got fun but I was in a pretty bad taste fatigue when I watched it. If ANYTHING really sucked - I'd dare say it's still ZYUDEN SENTAI KYORYUGER. Sure, Kyoryuger has great stunts (and extension, Power Rangers Dino Charge) but I felt both shows aren't my cup of tea. I felt that Yoshi Sudarso visiting the cast of Shuriken Sentai Ninninger and even making a cameo further cemented it. Though, I respect Yoshi for having a picture with martial artist Donnie Yen - a much greater honor than meeting the cast of Ninninger. I also think Ninninger is still TRULY AWFUL after pretending to be entertained. Let's face it that I wouldn't say anything good about Ninninger sincerely if it wasn't for something worse namely Power Ranger Ninja Steel. Ninja Steel was so bad that even longtime fans of Power Rangers HATED IT.

I think some shows just went backward with writing quality. I think I'll always use KYORYUGER as a reason. I felt like quitting over Super Sentai with KYORYUGER. I decided to watch more Super Sentai series I didn't watch yet instead. Fortunately, after Zyuohger, I felt Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger has been a fun season. I'd probably now admit that it's also that series that helped me even further defend my OPINION that Power Rangers in Space is just a bloated mess that saved a franchise. Though, if the shows that went after it were bad - I felt that fans would've been checking out Go-Busters. Maybe, they started saying, "Looks like I need to reconsider." Rewatching it may have made them think that character development, serious moments, etc. may have made it look better. I felt that Go-Busters' crossover with Kyoryuger was truly a mess. Sadly, that mess had to be carried over into Beast Morphers

I think another good why Go-Busters got vindicated is thanks to the Power Rangers community. That's why I prefer (now) to rather dislike Power Rangers even though I acknowledge that Toei Ltd. took part in why it became a monster hit. If Toei Ltd. says Power Rangers stays then I can't do a thing about it. Next year would be the 30th anniversary of Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Go-Busters even went to take certain terminologies that I felt should've remained exclusive to Power Rangers such as Megazords (and we also had a term Buddyzord) and the use of "It's Morphin' Time". Kobayashi tends to get some Power Rangers references in either her tasks or writing. The crossover of Shinkenger with Kamen Rider Decade also had Kobayashi as its writer. Moak sacrificed himself (but came back probably due to backlash) to try and deter the Earth Beast in Gingaman. Before that, Zordon sacrificed himself in Space to end the United Alliance of Evil. I guess RPM was a reason though the show sadly runs for only 32 episodes. JAKQ also ended in 35 episodes. I can't decide which is worse the way Iron Claw was finished off (rat missile) or Venjix's body getting crushed by a building. Both are just weird if you ask me!

I felt Power Rangers fans probably had a taste of a more serious show (that wasn't so serious) without having to be as Darker and Edgier as Timeranger. I guess these open-minded Power Rangers fans had a taste of something better than previous Super Sentai seasons they enjoyed. Though, I still feel they'd probably still prefer the Lighter and Softer series such as Shinkenger instead of the Darker and Edgier like Timeranger.

Overall, I think the series deserves its vindication over time. 

Comments