My Thoughts On Having Not One, But TWO King-Ohger Crossover Movies

Surprised or not? It seems King-Ohger's ratings are hitting the roof and we've got not ONE but TWO movies. Sure, King-Ohger has very little MOTW action involved and it's been more like a J-Drama. The way King-Ohger unfolds seems like doing Kamen Rider Saber right. I could remember how Saber got flak early on and somehow recovered. Saber did manage to survive and do an entire year's filming. 

Details provided by Orends Range are as follows:

Since this we are getting two Super Sentai VS movies, the main cast of Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger, namely: Taisei Sakai (Gira Husty/Kuwagata Ohger), Aoto Watanabe (Yanma Gast/Tonbo Ohger), Erika Murakami (Hymeno Ran/Kamakiri Ohger), Yuzuki Hirakawa (Rita Kaniska/Papillon Ohger), So Kaku (Kaguragi Dybowski/Hachi Ohger), and Masashi Ikeda (Jeramie Brasieri/Spider Kumonos) will all reprise their respective roles. 

In Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger vs. Donbrothers, the King-Ohgers and the Donbrothers meet at Hakabaka, the Land of the Dead! The film will be written by King-Ohger series head writer Minato Takano and directed by veteran Super Sentai director Hiroyuki Kato.

Returning Donbrothers cast members are: Kohei Higuchi (Taro Momoi/Don Momotaro), Yuuki Beppu (Shinichi Saruhara/Saru Brother), Kohaku Shida (Haruka Kito/Oni Sister), Totaro (Tsubasa Inuzuka/Inu Brother), Hirofumi Suzuki (Tsuyoshi Kijino/Kiji Brother), Raizou Ishikawa (Jiro Momotani/Don Doragoku/Don Torabolt), Amisa Miyazaki (Sononi), and Shinnosuke Takahashi (Sonoza). 

Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger vs. Kyoryuger on the other hand, will celebrate Kyoryuger's 10th anniversary, and will feature the return of the team since their last appearance in Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger's 32nd and 33rd episodes. The film will be written by Kaori Kaneko, who wrote said Kyoryuger crossover episodes, and will be directed by Kyoryuger main director Koichi Sakamoto. 

Returning Kyoryuger cast members are: Ryo Ryusei (Daigo "King" Kiryu/Kyoryu Red), Syuusuke Saito (Ian Yorkland/Kyoryu Black), Yamato Kinjo (Nobuharu "Nossan" Udo/Kyoryu Blue), Akihisa Shiono (Souji Rippukan/Kyoryu Green), Ayuri Konno (Amy Yuzuki/Kyoryu Pink), and Atsushi Maruyama (Utsusemimaru/Kyoryu Gold). 

The first Super Sentai VS double billing, both films are set for a limited theatrical run on April 26th at the Shinjuku Wald 9 and in some select locations. The films will be available in both Blu-ray and DVD on October 9th. 

Lastly, two special edition versions of the film's Blu-ray and DVD release was also announced. The Donbrothers version will not only include a King-Ohger vs. Donbrothers photo book and theme song CD, it will also include the DX Don Ohger Crown. The Kyoryuger version on the other hand, will not only include King-Ohger vs. Kyoryuger photo book and theme song CD, it will also include the DX Gaburimix Shooter.

King-Ohger having a movie with Donbrothers is very expected 

I was surprised when Kyuranger didn't have a movie with Zyuohger. I'd even say I did feel disappointed over it. I guess Toei wanted to take a break from the crossover. The Kiramager vs. Ryusoulger movie was a pleasant surprise. The main Donbrothers cast are returning for a crossover. I wonder how long Toei has a contract with the main cast anyway? It's something that rings in my head since the main cast of a previous show would return for the yearly non-canon crossover. 

Unlike Zenkaiger vs. Donbrothers - there's no sign of Toshiki Inoue's involvement. IMHO, I think Inoue could use some rest since he wrote the whole series himself. Then again it could be an awkward thing. Trying to handle somebody else's character can be a difficult task. Yes, talk about how I screwed up in my really badly written crossover fan-fictions! I think Minato Takano might've watched Donbrothers and he'd be able to do what I can't. That's namely keep up with the consistency of the characters' personalities. 

However, there's no report that Sonoi is returning. It looks like Yuya Tominaga has a full schedule ahead. If so, I guess that explains why only two out of three members of the Noto Layer trio are showing up. Fortunately, the main cast is still complete. 

This reminds me that I compared Donbrothers Haruka to Zoey from Beast Morphers. Watching King-Ohger reminds me of Zoey whenever Himeno shows up. Crazy stuff happens. However, I don't feel the same amount of excitement for Super Sentai as it was during the 2000s. 

The crossover with Kyoryuger brings the first six members BACK 

Is the whole setting of King-Ohger a huge retcon or what? Episodes 32-33 might be where fans would try to create that huge Super Sentai timeline. It's no secret trying to put all Super Sentai series from Goranger up to the most recent will create a hilariously erroneous timeline. I guess some people are still too used to the Power Rangers franchise taking place in an expanding Universe. Never mind that Super Sentai really can't work with that! Still, I find it fun trying to do so and laugh at how it's just impossible. With another Kyoryuger movie, I still feel people will shove the idea to my face yet again. 

It's nice to have the first six Kyoryugers return. There's no report that Marie Iitoyo is returning. I guess Marie's got a busy schedule ahead. The last I saw her was in Love You 'Til the World Ends with Ryoma Takeuchi. Fortunately, Ryo and Atsushi are making a return. I guess the whole two-partner got so popular people just WANT MORE OF IT. With Kaori Kaneko and Koichi Sakamoto - I can't wait to see how the movie will turn out.

Speaking of which, maybe I view Kyoryuger as a watchable mess these days. Maybe, it's a result of me actually enjoying B-Fighter Kabuto and Kamen Rider BLACK RX - two sequels to highly superior shows namely Juuku B-Fighter and Kamen Rider BLACK. Both shows were messy but I did enjoy them. I also finished Kyoryuger though the finale did leave a bad taste in my mouth. However, I still have problems with how hyper Kyoryuger can get in contrast to other messy shows. I do also have some shows made by Toei which I still freaking hate like Machineman and Kamen Rider Decade. I still call Decade the spiritual successor of Saban's Masked Rider. Saban Entertainment treated the whole incident as an Old Shame. Decade does get a following and gets to do what Saban's Masked Rider wasn't able to. Dex got written off while Tsuakasa showed up in later crossovers.

So far, no plot has been revealed yet. Will the show explain why Kyoryuger Daigo and Utsusemimari weren't around? I may be no fan of Kyoryuger but fans (which I believe includes Power Rangers fans too) love the main cast fight scenes. In extension, Dino Charge also gets the same kind of praise for the suitless fight scenes. Both shows really tried to make the best with the main cast fighting. I love the prolonged suitless fight scenes during the crossover. Sure, the suitless fight scenes these days aren't as good as back in the 1980s to 1990s. Sure, I'm not going to expect those kinds of suitless fight scenes. Still, it seems I'm eager to watch this follow-up, even if I didn't find Kyoryuger my cup of tea. 

Comments