My PERSONAL Rundown On Super Sentai's Post-Gokaiger Creative Direction From 2012-2023

 

Super Sentai is a long-running series. I had a couple of predictions that FAILED. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger was the 35th season. I even felt Super Sentai wouldn't make it past 40 but I was wrong. I wrote about the significant difference between Super Sentai and Power Rangers with creative thinking from 2011-2017. I decided to look at how Super Sentai tried to stay afloat AFTER Gokaiger. I decided to do a rundown from 2012 up to 2024. This would cover some of the Heisei era and the Reiwa era. 

Let's get started, shall we?

Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters right after a grand anniversary season

Gokaiger ended with a bang. It's possible not so many people were ready for it to end just yet. There were probably tears from the audience during the finale. For one, I believe Gokaiger is overly hyped. Sure, it's one of the greatest Super Sentai series made but NOT necessarily the GREATEST. That's why I addressed the problem of the Gokaiger hype -- that is if you think watching that one particular series made you learn everything! I got critical of Super Sentai after that. However, I was a closeted Go-Busters fan who came out of the closet later! It's because some people had negative views about the series. However, Dryed Mangoez helped me get out of my closet!

This series feels like a proper follow-up for Power Rangers RPM. I tried watching RPM and the 32-episode count is like, "Is that all there is to it?" One of the reasons why I dislike Power Rangers is that later seasons try to wrap everything up from 32-40 episodes. It's pretty much like a few Japanese shows in the past that ran so soon. For example, Dengekitai JAKQ only had 35 episodes and Voltes V only had 40 episodes. Why is development space so denied? Go-Busters gave me a lot of stuff RPM was missing. My beef was that why wasn't it set in a post-apocalyptic world where Tokyo is the only safe haven on Earth? This series was like a reboot after Gokaiger. Gokaiger felt like a finale. Go-Busters feels like Super Sentai was starting from scratch. It would've been an outrageous way to reboot the series by setting it up in an apocalyptic world! However, rumors of the world ending in 2012 may have prevented it!

Returning to darker and edgier was done almost every anniversary season. Ninpuu Sentai Hurricanger may not be that serious but it's still heart-wrenching -- even if the massacre wasn't as brutal as Chojuu Sentai Liveman's first episode. Jyuken Sentai Gekiranger is also kind of heart-wrenching -- even if it's nowhere near the levels of Gosei Sentai Dairanger. Go-Busters did that with traumatized minors becoming rangers -- to combat the same threat that caused the tragedy 13 years before the series began! Yasuko Kobayashi handled some darker themes like she did with Mirai Sentai Timeranger or the overly serious Kamen Rider Ryuki (which the ending was really obviously an Executive Meddling). However, Kobayashi started to show signs of burning out during this season. 

So far, Go-Busters remains my top favorite post-Gokaiger season. It doesn't feel too kiddie. I checked out Power Rangers Beast Morphers and I wasn't too impressed. Beast Morphers made me rewatch this season and affirm my feelings. I wouldn't be surprised if more Power Rangers fans ended up checking Go-Busters because of Beast Morphers

It's probably why it didn't click as intended leading to...

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger is one show I got critical of but may have warmed up to

I developed Super Sentai taste fatigue. I wanted to "move on" to other stuff. However, it's almost impossible especially when I found a Korean actress who freakingly looks like Ayuri Konno -- KIM SEOL HYUN! I wasn't sure what to make of this show -- not especially there were some older Super Sentai I haven't checked out. I can't focus on too many things at once. I guess my biases towards this show are simply, "Well, I've got taste fatigue!"

I do get tired of THEME REPETITION. Kyoryuger was one strange show but it had a lot of good action scenes. I credit it to Koichi Sakamoto -- the man who worked with both Super Sentai and Power Rangers at different points. I also had issues with the more festive and hyper approach. Don't get me started with Daigo Kiryu -- the guy who gets too much focus. I believe it also had something to do with Riku Sanjo unsure of what to do at that time. Doing something the first time isn't easy! 

I find this show to be hard to watch at that time. There are times I wish that this show wasn't linked to Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger. However, it was at that moment in time that I felt this show was a watchable mess. I can't even come up with any good reason to pick Kyoryuger over Power Rangers Dino Charge. Instead, it's all about my biases against American adaptations of Japanese shows. Dino Charge was decent in some way but ruined by Nickelodeon's REALLY BAD SCHEDULING! 

If there's one Super Sentai VS. Movie that I hated until now -- it's Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger vs. Tokumei Sentai Go-Busters. The film was just as messy as messy gets! The film might not be as heavy as Super Hero Taisen (which Toei should be glad they didn't hire me to write it) but it's still messy. I find this to be utterly chaotic at so many levels. I wished Beast Morphers left this messy crossover alone. Instead, they added it and not even a two-parter could work. If only Hasbro knew how messy this was!

Ressha Sentai ToQGer has its imagination going

I learned to enjoy ToQGer later in life. However, I had a bad case of taste fatigue in 2014. I was looking for more new stuff to enjoy. I even wanted to focus more on Kamen Rider than Super Sentai. Ironically, I still dislike the crossover with Kamen Rider Gaim -- I found that incredibly BORING to watch! Yes, go ahead and get mad but it's preference! However, my preferences changed overtime. Watching ToQGer after the taste fatigue is over -- it's enjoyable!

The series tries to go back to basics -- design-wise! I still feel Kobayashi was in the same condition as Toshiki Inoue was in Kamen Rider Kiva and Hirohisa Soda was in Chikyu Sentai Fiveman. If I can enjoy Kiva and Fiveman then why not ToQGer? There is plenty of strange cartoony stuff inthis series. I could think of the Shadow Line's cartoony antics as Emperor Zetto deviating from the typical Big Bad. Emperor Zetto acted more like a teenage psychopath than an actual Big Bad. I still feel calling Zetto "Zed'" for fun -- pretending he's the true son of Lord Zedd and Rita Repulsa! Added to that, I even joke Rita Kaniska from King-Ohger is actually his younger sister. 

The fact that the ToQGers were children stuck in adult bodies wasn't too random. After all, they had no memories of their childhood. Emperor Zetto was bored and was trying to figure out who he was. The series has them trying to restore order to towns from all types of crazy scenarios.

Shuriken Sentai Ninninger is the definition of BLAH 

I can't be certain if Ninninger has been vindicated by history (because Power Rangers Ninja Steel is that horrible) or not. I would've probably never learned to show some appreciation if it wasn't for Ninja Steel. What I don't want to deny is that Takaharu Igarashi is still smarter than Victor and Monty. The show can be easier to watch because no Victor and Monty. However, I feel like that the show is only SLIGHTLY BETTER because the girls are hotter, Takaharu isn't as jarring as Victor and Monty, or that there's no summer break in between. Yes, I still think this show is DUMPSTER FIRE! The appearances of past alumni were probably just to save it from totally sinking down.

It turns out that there are LOW TOY SALES for Ninninger. Those toys don't even look impressive. There are times innovation means making mistakes and learning from them. I feel Bandai and Toei had no idea what they wanted to do. The show's writing goes from bad to worse -- especially with Shimoyama. Naomi Takebe does well with Kamen Rider but not so much with Super Sentai. I feel Takebe also held Go-Busters back from getting its full potential. 

It was a good thing that it had a crossover with Kamen Rider Drive. Yes, I'm still a fan of Drive. Drive was aired in late 2014 after the great rescheduling in 2009. I still feel Drive could've had a better crossover with ToQger though. However, this was still enjoyable to a certain extent!

Doubotsu Sentai Zyuohger wasn't bad but it wasn't terrible either

There are times I felt like comparing Zyuohger to Power Rangers Megaforce -- a series with beautiful women and a terrible, terrible script! If we need to be honest -- Super Sentai ratings SLUMPED during some time. Every franchise has its own set of struggles whether we want to admit it or not. Zyuohger was probably not able to live up to the hype that's Gokaiger.

Was Zyuohger trying to bail itself out with the beloved Gokaiger? Maybe yes, maybe no. I can't be certain but there was the 2,000th Super Sentai episode overall. Sure, I don't need to watch all 1,999 to understand the 2,000th episode. However, it's still a milestone for Toei. The show was suffering from rating drops. I can't be certain what's causing the rating drops. Was it a lack of creative direction or what?

In fact, its crossover with Ninninger really addressed a major concern. "The history of Super Sentai! It's over!" I still giggle whenever I look at that phrase! I once felt that Super Sentai might either take a break or end at 40. However, I was wrong and the Kyurangers' cameo here slapped me back to reality. I bet Power Rangers checking out the source material were 1000% relieved!

Ucchu Sentai Kyuranger proved Super Sentai was still heading in new directions

This show made a brave move by moving not only a few years ago but also by CENTURIES. The story apparently takes place in the year 2317 A.D. and not in 2017 A.D. -- determined by Tsurugi Ootor's hibernation story. Yes, the initial team made a non-canon cameo in Zyuohger vs. Ninninger -- a crossover that gave the infamous line that Super Sentai's history may be over. This series gave me what I wanted -- a Super Sentai season that happened in SPACE. Power Rangers tried it with Power Rangers in Space followed up by the fan-favorite Power Rangers Lost Galaxy. This show almost feels like a follow-up to both -- except it isn't!

The show's budget feels like anniversary levels -- more than what Zyuohger ever had. The setting had the bad guys already win before the show started. The Jark Matter had taken over the Universe and it's up to the Rebellion to stop it. The series took inspiration from several American fictional series such as Star Wars and Lucky Starr. The show also had hints of Spaceballs. I almost dumped Super Sentai but this came along and I was actually impressed!

The show had its human/non-human team. It started with nine members and landed with 12. The whole team's mission is to liberate the Universe from Jark Matter. There's history between the 300 years. The show's pretty much its own Universe as revealed in episode 18. The show's not perfect. However, it also made me feel Space was an overrated season. Sure, Space saved Power Rangers but I didn't like the narrative of a recycled cast. Kyuranger probably saved Super Sentai as well.

What amazed me though is that it didn't have a crossover with Zyuohger. I may no longer desire to rewatch Zyuohger but I found it effing inexcusable. I still feel a non-canon side story involving the Deathgaliens and Jark Matter could've created a cool what-if scenario. WTF Toei?!

Kaito Sentai Lupinranger vs. Keisatsu Sentai Patranger was overly ambitious

I may not like the way Junko Komura does anniversaries BUT I enjoyed this season. 2015-2018 had two seasons that were beautifully pointless and followed by beautifully innovative ones. I never found myself too enamored by Tsukasa Myojin -- even if I do find her prettier than both Megaforce females. It was interesting to see two Super Sentai teams clash while fighting a common enemy. The concept wasn't too well-embraced though. Was it because of the last year's hype? I blame the layers of complexity the shows have -- making it hard for children to follow!

It doesn't help that Lupinranger vs. Patranger was met by low toy sales. If I would appeal to my inner child -- the Kyuranger toys are far more collector-worthy image-wise. I wouldn't be ashamed to donate the Kyuranger Zords to less fortunate children. However, I feel like the Megazords of Lupinranger vs. Patranger are just there. There's not much to them. I feel there was a surplus of Kyuranger toys too. So yeah, deal with the economies of scale!

I feel the show didn't know what to do later on. I still enjoyed it despite that. However, I feel that there wasn't the grand conclusion the show deserved. I feel the show had many good concepts but it's probably not the right time. It makes me think how Kamen Rider BLACK RX had good ideas but it didn't work during its time either.

This is one overcrowded crossover. It's affirmed that there are two different universes in this crossover. I hate how Mondo Misao gets inserted for no reason -- except for comedic reasons. I think this crossover is probably the second messiest one.

Kishinryu Sentai Ryusoulger is one show that made me question myself

Power Rangers Beast Morphers and this show premiered in 2019. I watched both of them and enjoyed neither. There are some Super Sentai seasons that I still dislike even today. I also don't like some Kamen Rider seasons -- with Kamen Rider Decade taking the cake! I think this show was a rehash of Kyoryuger and Seijuu Sentai Gingaman. I feel this show is just downright super flat!

I don't agree with Shogo B'Stard but this took the words out of my mouth:

I really wanted to give Ryusoulger a chance, but...I've hated it from pretty much the first episode. And it's been a constant hate. There's not one episode that I was like "OK, that was at least cool or interesting or funny." Not ONE. SINGLE. GOOD. WORTHWHILE. EPISODE. From top to bottom, Toei could not make it any clearer that they just don't give a shit and aren't trying AT ALL with the show. It's not even just basic or generic or by-the-numbers. It has absolutely nothing going for it, nothing to hang your hat on. NOTHING. There is no "there" there. Some of my less favorite shows or the weaker entries, I can at least look at and think "Well, there WAS potential for that to be better, but they zigged instead of zagged and/or just didn't care." Ryusoulger never showed a single spark of potential.

I watched it and finished it! Do I want to rewatch it? Heck, NO! I was thinking it could've been the long-awaited sequel of Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. However, it didn't and that honor went to Kamen Rider Saber (a messy show that I love) and King-Ohger. This show got even worse with Canalo's bride search misfortune. I feel the writers are just making Canalo suffer for their amusement. So yeah, maybe I don't hate Canalo but the writers who handled Canalo! 

Canalo never had luck during its crossover with Lupinranger vs. Patranger either. That crossover was rather ordinary to me. I may have found Canalo's quest annoying but I do feel sorry for him. I kinda wish Canalo had some luck here. 

Mashin Sentai Kiramanger could've improved on what ToQGer started if it wasn't for that d*mn Legacy Virus pandemic

Kiramager may be considered Naruhisa Arakawa's Fiveman. Every professional writer has their very own Waterloos in their career. This may be Arakawa's. I enjoyed it and I cut whatever mistakes it made some slack. After all, the COVID-19 aka the Legacy Virus hit hard last 2020. Life came to a halt and a lot of things had to change. I even did questionable stuff at first. The show had a simple shine approach and it was interesting. However, the Legacy Virus pandemic prevented it from actually trying to improve concepts from ToQGer. But again cut some slack because the Legacy Virus hit the whole world!

What I never expected was the crossover with Ryusoulger. I was expecting some crazy beach battles with Asuna, Sayo, Sena, and Yodonna in swimwear. Fortunately, that never happened because that would just distract! IRL Yodonna's actress Nashiko Momotsuki is also a nurse. I never thought it'd be possible because the Legacy Virus Delta Variant became fatal in 2021. It was interesting to see a lot of suitless fight scenes too. 

Yodonna became a popular villain she even had a spin-off. The spin-off was for older fans. I was expecting some nudity like Kamen Rider Shin had that topless scene. I guess Toei wasn't keen on doing that for valid reasons. 

Kikou Sentai Zenkaiger had an interesting concept but it got executed badly IMHO

I heard how Power Rangers fans tend to point out the anniversaries are usually bad. I'll beg to disagree because I still find Power Rangers Wild Force watchable. Power Rangers Operation Overdrive was once treated with disdain but got Vindicated by History -- sort of! Who can forget Megaforce? Some think that Zyuohger was bad and I probably think Zenkaiger was also bad. I was excited because of the new concept. I wanted to see how a very unusual Super Sentai team would operate. Instead, I felt like that everything in 2021 was expected down!

The Legacy Virus came out in 2021. I feel the whole set wasn't passionate at all one bit! I believe this may have become the Operation Overdrive of Super Sentai. There have been interesting concepts but the show lacked proper execution for me. I didn't even feel excited. Was it because I was worried the Legacy Virus pandemic could get worse (and America did a terrible job for some time) or was it because this show was just bad? IMHO it's been a bad combination of both. 

Still, I'd like to see Super Sentai attempt this formula and do it better!

Avatar Sentai Donbrothers as a bit of a transitional series

I had my reservations about Inoue's involvement. Overusing any writer is just a terrible idea. Inoue was writing Kiva without any idea what he wanted. I enjoyed Kiva but it's really understandable why some people dislike it. Kamen Rider Faiz had Inoue in a similar condition as Kobayashi during Go-Busters. I still feel Inoue should've been involved with Go-Busters as its secondary writer. Maybe, Inoue would've had some time to rediscover himself or not be involved with Donbrothers at all. 

I enjoyed Donbrothers for what it's worth. However, it wasn't all too exciting. I probably have some sadism going on. Yes, I'm always enjoying seeing Haruka Kito in PAIN! I seem to get upset every time Haruka isn't in pain. I feel Shinichiro Shirakura did a better job here than he did with Zenkaiger. Seeing the rangers become the Zords themselves was a nice change. I'd honestly want to see that concept revisited. However, I believe Super Sentai may consider going on a hiatus or finding new ways to reboot itself


The crossover movie confirmed that Donbrothers Kaito isn't the same as Zenkaiger Kaito. I kinda laughed whenthe two Kaitos met. I must confess that maybe I'm being too harsh with Zenkaiger

Inoue's return had me question things. Was there another old-school writer returning? I even had that secret hunch that Kobayashi was next. However, it wasn't the case with... 

Ohsama Sentai King-Ohger was a huge hype and a festival

I was expecting the usual non-serialized storytelling. Instead, King-Ohger went for the Kamen Rider style narrative used since Kamen Rider Kuuga. I even remember talking with someone who said that the newer Kamen Rider series was like a telenovela in their storytelling. King-Ohger had a new writer Minato Takano who had some interesting concepts. Rita Kaniska is introduced as a character whose biological gender is hidden then she reveals her true identity. A few people knew Rita Kaniska was female but not everyone did. It was like rehashing Hikari Sentai Maskman's plot with Igam. I wonder if the name Rita was intentional since it was Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers' 30th anniversary.

If Go-Busters is my top one in the post-Gokaiger era then this is probably number two. The storytelling has the history of some planet named Chikyu. I thought it was some alternate Earth but it was revealed to be a planet where some Earth humans migrated to. The Final Fantasy-type and Dragon Quest-type setting was a breath of fresh air. There were also a lot of CGI settings used. However, the fires can feel so real that it's WTF. CGI had developed for decades and it's unfair to compare them to the destruction CGI effects used in the 1990s to the 2000s. CGI flames weren't so blazing but now -- I even feel scared!

It may be a show for children but there's still some sense of maturity. There are some political themes or plot twists that I could enjoy. If it wasn't for the link back to Kyoryuger 10 years prior -- I think it would've been better. However, the whole thing worked with a charm that King-Ohger's crossover with Kyoryuger will get a director's cut (episodes 32-33) too. This show also had me nitpicking on the Japanese pretending to be Europeans

Unfortunately, its crossover with Donbrothers was disappointingly short. It's possible Toei wanted to milk out more of the Kyoryuger craze. It's safe to assume that Kyoryuger's huge toy sales still plays a factor to this day. So much so that even Dino Charge actor Brennan Mejia got hold of the Kyoryuger toys

_______

So far, it's too early for me to include the ONGOING Bakuage Sentai Boonboomger. Meanwhile, I feel like writing certain entries like these because I've already "moved on" with other stuff -- namely Korean shows and Taiwanese shows! 

Comments